You know your from NC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You Know You're From NC When...
You know the following: Duke - Blue Devils, State - Wolf Pack, Carolina - Tarheels, ECU - Pirates.
You know that a fish camp is a seafood restaurant.
There are big labs or golden retrievers in the back of every truck.
You can't imagine life without Bojangles' sweet tea
You have a sunburn from May to October
You can tell the difference between cotton fields and tobacco fields while driving
You own at least one surf shop or seafood restaurant T-shirt.
No matter what those people in Ohio say, we are still "first in flight"
The Coca-Cola 600 is as big as the Super Bowl
You prefer Chick-fil-a to KFC
In summer you have home-grown tomatoes with every meal.
You know that "chunk" the ball means to throw it.
You've had a burger "all the way" - chili and slaw on it.
You can recognize a copperhead and your heart drops when you see one.
Your school classes were cancelled because of a hurricane.
You know Krispy Kreme makes the best doughnut.
You have an opinion about UNC... You went there and loved it, or you hate everyone who did.
You know the Carolina League is the greatest baseball league in the country.
You know Pepsi originated in New Bern, Cheerwine in Salisbury, Sun Drop in Gastonia, and that Mountain Dew was invented in Lumberton.
Most of the festivals around the state are named after a fruit, vegetable or tobacco.
You can spell words such as Ocracoke, Fuquay-Varina and Chocowinity.

There really should be something on this list that makes reference to Jesse Helms. However, I can't think of anything that would survive any decent moderator.

I also note that there are no references to Cary, NC. Original city name, new meaning (Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees)

quote:

Originally posted by Pete C.:
You Know You're From NC When...
You know the following: Duke - Blue Devils, State - Wolf Pack, Carolina - Tarheels, ECU - Pirates.

Dont, forget the UNCC 49er's.
You know that a fish camp is a seafood restaurant.

UMMm good, I love sea food.
There are big labs or golden retrievers in the back of every truck.

Actually those are Yankees from the North East. True southerners have a scruffy yellow dog called the Carolina Hound. Smarter and more durable then any other dog around. If I were going to get me a dog, it would be a Caolina Hound.
You can't imagine life without Bojangles' sweet tea.

I still drink it unsweetened.
shocked.gif
When I order it, the waitress always brings me some sweet n low...
grin.gif

You have a sunburn from May to October.

I avoid sunburn.
You can tell the difference between cotton fields and tobacco fields while driving

Hey, no brainer..
You own at least one surf shop or seafood restaurant T-shirt.

Nope, mine says Wilgrove Bait and Tackle.
grin.gif

No matter what those people in Ohio say, we are still "first in flight"

True.
The Coca-Cola 600 is as big as the Super Bowl

Wrong, The 600 is bigger then the Super Bowl, and Kasey Kane won it last night. Nice young fella from somewhere in the North West.
You prefer Chick-fil-a to KFC

KFC around here is poorly done. I've had better.
In summer you have home-grown tomatoes with every meal.

You should see my garden. Gonna have nice crop this year.
You know that "chunk" the ball means to throw it.
You've had a burger "all the way" - chili and slaw on it.

Oh yes! Love on a bun.
You can recognize a copperhead and your heart drops when you see one.

Never seen one outside the zoo. Have some nice big black snakes though. 5-6 feet. Good mousers.
Your school classes were cancelled because of a hurricane.

School was out when Hugo came through, August 89.
You know Krispy Kreme makes the best doughnut.

No question there.
You have an opinion about UNC... You went there and loved it, or you hate everyone who did.

Depends on which campus. There are 7. I worked at UNCC for a couple of years after retirement.
You know the Carolina League is the greatest baseball league in the country.

Never heard of it. We play softball around here.
You know Pepsi originated in New Bern, Cheerwine in Salisbury, Sun Drop in Gastonia, and that Mountain Dew was invented in Lumberton.

All good sodas.
Most of the festivals around the state are named after a fruit, vegetable or tobacco.

We had a niceBlue Grass festival out in Stanily County recently.
You can spell words such as Ocracoke, Fuquay-Varina and Chocowinity.

Not me, some days I can barly spell my own name.

Of course, I'm a transplant from Michigan.

The one I like best is, 'Your not from around here, are you'?

Hey, I love them nukes, we have 2 here + hydro power. We have some of the lowest cost power in the country. Duke Power does a good job over all.

I heard there was some problems with nuke programs in MI. I don't know the details, I've been here a long time, sinse 81.

By george you're right, MarkC!! I'm fortunate enough to live within 10 miles of the best BBQ places I've ever ate at! Allen & Son's BBQ between Chapel Hill and Hillsborough, N.C. on highway 86! They specialize in pork BBQ grilled over Hickory embers and homemade deserts. Rarely do I have room for their desert though! Then theres A&M Grill in Mebane, N.C., and Bullock's in Durham, N.C. Yessir, I live in the heart of BBQ country!! We have "Hog Day" in Hillsborough, with, you guessed it, BBQ competition! One of my brother in laws has placed in the top 3 or 5 several times...

Lucky. Out here they think BBQ is when you cook any kind of meat outside on a grill. Therer are a couple of "Southern" BBQ places, but they don't get it either. Ever been to Smokey Joe's in Lexington?
Of course I'm from the coast, so our's is the eastern style, but I like both.

Lexington, N.C.? I think my cousin mentioned that place. We talked about stopping by there next time when we travel down to Concord, N.C. to the Bass Pro Shops on our annual pilgrimage. My favorite is the pork, slow cooked over hickory coals where the wood is burned in a barrel. After about 8 hours, pull them ribs out, dip them in a good BBQ hot sauce, boy, I'm making my self hungry!! It's really the sauce that makes the BBQ. My brother in law has one of the best recipe flavors that I know of. His works great on BBQ chicken also. Years ago when I worked for my brother in law, while the crews were out working, on a Friday he would go by the livestock market and pickup about a 130 lb. pig. As the crews would come in that evening, some would dress the pig, some set up the grill and barrel, and some would go into the woods and cut down a couple hickory trees. We would burn the chunks of hickory in the barrel, as the coals drop through the bottom grate they would be spread evenly under the pig. This would take all night, plenty of beer drinking and card playing going on. The next day at lunch time, all the crew's families would arrive at the shop with different dishes and a feast would be had. Ahh the good ol' days!

I took the following from a website that describes things better than I can.

"In eastern North Carolina, the meat is chopped or sliced pig and the sauce is peppery vinegar. Traditional side dishes include coleslaw and hush puppies (perhaps a carry-over from the area's many seafood restaurants). These hush puppies are light and oval-shaped. The area of North Carolina west of Raleigh uses the same type of meat, but douses it in a sauce rich with vinegar and tomatoes. Western North Carolinians eat barbecue with bread and sometimes Brunswick stew, a stew made with vegetables, chicken and sometimes game."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back