Yokohama Geolandar G015

Got these put on at the beginning of the month, they replaced a set of BFGoodrich KO2’s on my Ram 1500. The KO2’s were a C load range, the Yokohama’s are E’s…. Yes the truck came with P metrics, but E’s were optional. At the time the SL version was $204 and the E’s were $218 each and the E’s have a bit more tread depth. Then in the span of the next 20 days we’ve gotten ALL the weather.

These are my subjective, highly unscientific opinions.

Dry pavement: they’re quieter than the KO2, but otherwise they’re great like the KO2’s were.

Light snow: they did fantastic

Deep snow: I’d say the KO2 did a little better here, but not drastically.

Wet/slush/standing water: the Yokohama’s BLOW the KO2’s out of the water. Night and day difference. The KO2’s never hydroplaned, but man they struggled for traction on certain blacktop, like this one corner where if it was wet my tires were spinning unless I literally idled my way through it. I could even spin them in 4WD if I tried, heck I could spin the rears at 60 if I tried! I just don’t get how you make a tire that’s great at everything except rain….

Handling/ride quality: They ride great, I was worried putting E tires on would make it ride like the 2500 I drove once, but it isn’t at all. It definitely rides a bit more “truckish” than it did with the factory P metrics it came with, but it is FAR from “rattle your teeth out.” Still very very comfortable. Chuck it through a corner and they seem great.

Have the same C-rated tires on my Lexus. I chose them after some amateur internet research and was impressed with its all weather performance. I have about 7000 miles on them and they still look new. They have handled quite a bit of towing as well.

Have them on my F150 by recommendation of my local mom and pop tire shop. They are a great tire. Currently have about 50k on them, hope to get another 15k out of them.

I have the geolandar g015 on my forester.. They are pretty good.

What air pressure are you running in the load range E's? Probably should be higher vs the pmetric that came on it.
The load range E's have less load capacity at the same pressure of the p-metrics.

I have load range E G015's on my 5th gen 4Runner. They are a bit firmer ride than the P-metric all seasons they come with. About 4 years after putting them on, they are still doing great. Last winter we had record amounts of snow. They aren't Blizzaks, but they are 3PMS rated, and did well. Rain performance is great. Still are pretty quiet. A highway tread would probably be a fraction quieter. No issues on 4wd trails. Light mud has been handled well for a mild A/T tread.

I'd say that with the 10 ply rated tires, I lost probably about 1 mpg. The E load range tires are 12 or so pounds heavier each, than the OEM P-rated tires of the same 'size'.

Having had K02's and every iteration of BFG A/T going back to the 80's. They were never great in the wet. Dry desert terrain only, they would probably be my choice.

I have the geolandar g015 on my forester.. They are pretty good.

What air pressure are you running in the load range E's? Probably should be higher vs the pmetric that came on it.
The load range E's have less load capacity at the same pressure of the p-metrics.
40 cold which also keeps the TPMS happy, depending on ambient temperature they’ll get up to 43-45psi while driving. If I haul a heavy load or tow a trailer I know to air them up before, from what I can find they need about 47psi cold to handle the same load.

Any idea about their affect on MPG yet?
About a 1mpg drop from the KO2’s, which was an about a 1mpg drop from factory. Driving “normally” 15-16mpg currently.

40 cold which also keeps the TPMS happy, depending on ambient temperature they’ll get up to 43-45psi while driving. If I haul a heavy load or tow a trailer I know to air them up before, from what I can find they need about 47psi cold to handle the same load.
Likely underinflated. Usually a LT tire in the same size (as P) will require 10-15 psi more. You can consult the load tables to get the correct answer.

Been kicking around getting a set of these for the Ranger, just to have a little more buffer in the load-carrying area.

Likely underinflated. Usually a LT tire in the same size (as P) will require 10-15 psi more. You can consult the load tables to get the correct answer.
Following the link from Barrys Tire Tech (thank you @CapriRacer !!)I came up with this, which tracks across multiple other sites. On one hand I’m kind of surprised it would be that low, on the other it’s a crew cab short bed and 3.21 gears, it doesn’t have a very high payload or tow rating to begin with.
IMG_9560.jpg

These are stellar tires. I had a set a shirt while ago and they are the smoothest running, in a nearly uncanny manner, light all-terrain I’ve had. I suspect their manufacturing process is highly precise.

Back