Yikes! Got a car insurance quote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes me glad I'm a 44 year old male in Iowa with a pristine driving record.

Our annual premiums for 3 vehicles, 2 with full coverage, 1 without collision is just over $900/year ($459 semi-annually). I can't see putting collision on the Jeep since the book value is only $6000 or so.

We also have our homeowners and umbrella policies with Guide One as well.

We use Guide One, which specializes in non-smokers and non-drinkers (I guess we're a better risk pool).

Anyone thinking about changing ins. should checkout the consumer reports website and their info on ins. companies. I recently switched to Amica after being with Allstate for 38 years. Some of the highest rated ins. companies you have never heard of. If I remember correctly CR rates State Farm #10, Allstate #16, Amica was #1 or 2 with Auto. I insured a '05 Ranger 4x4 and an '01 Taurus for $1400 in the Chicago area.

Hands down, AMICA is the best. Mutual company, so they are not trying to impress investors. THE POLICYHOLDERS are the investors. Going down to the bank today to cash my dividend checks....

I recently wrecked a car that I had collision on. Got it towed to the place AMICA suggested. The auto-body shop chief said "Oh you have Amica, don't worry about anything, they will handle it all" I showed up with my deductable check weeks later and drove off.

Insurance pretty much figures if a household has three vehicles, three drivers, and one is sixteen, they'll be driving the third vehicle all the time. Even if you tell them it's 2%. Get in a wreck and you'd say, oh it was a special occasion and daddy lent me the car.

Minivans aren't cool, that's for sure. I can see a 16 year old doing stunts in a nice saturn SL2. Not you, of course, but the insurance company doesn't know you either and only has stats to look at. When I was younger I had an oldsmobile cutlass ciera with a V6... old lady car but it also had hot rod tendencies. The insurance was reasonable there.
smile.gif

Just keep on shopping around, it's all you can do. And don't get any tickets, just because your dad talked himself out of a 77 in a 65, doesn't mean you will, cops can be real dinks to new drivers. There are/will be speed traps, seat belt checks, brake light checks set up on the feeder roads to your high school. So be careful out there until your rates get reasonable.

Ekra, I've been with State Farm over 20 years myself. 180.00/6 mo. for my 92 Elantra without any claims whatsoever. I carry $300/$500K liability and 0 deductable on the comprehensive on the auto insurance as a baseline, with a 1 Million umbrella that costs me maybe another 20 or 30 dollars a year on my homeowner's.

When I bought this Accent (2005), yes, I ordered collision, but the liabilty portion went up by nearly 40%. I'm now paying $385.00 every 6 months now. The collision isn't so much but the liabilty went WAY up. Oh, no tickets, no accidents, ever, with 5 good points on my DMV for at least 20 years. I cost these folks nothing, and they really reamed me on the liability. This, on a 2000lb. 3-door hatchback, 1.6 106 HP, 40 MPG. Wonder what the 6000 lb. Sport Utility drivers pay in liability.

Needless to say, when my term comes up next month, I'm shopping it around, auto AND homeowner's. There was no reason for liability to go up for a 2005 Accent 40% over a 92 Elantra. Especially someone that's been with them for so long, with no claims or liabilities, driving lightweight roller skates..
nono.gif

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
Insurance pretty much figures if a household has three vehicles, three drivers, and one is sixteen, they'll be driving the third vehicle all the time. Even if you tell them it's 2%. Get in a wreck and you'd say, oh it was a special occasion and daddy lent me the car.

Sure. 3 drivers sharing 2 vehicles assures that the risk is less to the insurance comapany. Even with both vehicles on the road ..one driver has to be idle all the time. Adding one more car raises the costs substantially. My youngest daughter added about $2400/year since she shifted us from 4 cars w/3 drivers (same deal we can only have 3 of them on the road at one time unless we have clones).

Her summer job required her to go to the insurance agent every pay period to pay the increased insurance costs. Hey, the squid is running out of ink.
dunno.gif

Full coverage $575 per year from Erie Insurance. 100/300 with a $500 deductible and limited tort.
That is for two cars with just me driving 1987 740 Turbo wagon and a 1997 960. Before I got the 960 my cost was $675 just for the 1987 wagon. When I added the 960 to my Travelers policy it jumped to $1200 a year. I was renewing my business insurance last year and my agent wanted a shot at my car insurance. He came back with a quote of $690. Next month it drops to $575 with my renewal.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Just tell them you are a 46 year old hairless guy who wears mustard yellow slacks and a light blue blazer. That should knock off a few hundred bucks.

Didn't work for me. (How did you come by a 14-yr old photograph of me, anyway?)

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Critic ..you do realize that if you chose not to insure ..you will not (probably) be able to get a license.

There's no "probably" about it in California. Proof of insurance is required for a driver's license application as well as for yearly vehicle re-registration. Used to be drivers had to submit a duplicate insurance card to the State with registration application renewal. The State caught on finally some people were taking out a month's worth of insurance for the card and then dropping the insurance a week or two later. Now the State has an arrangement whereby the information is forwarded directly by insurance companies so the State knows how long the driver has been insured and whether the insurance is cancled as soon as the companies' computer records are updated.

quote:

Originally posted by ekrampitzjr:
What will happen if an uninsured motorist hits you and leaves your car badly messed up? Would you have to pay out of pocket to fix the car and then attempt to go after the other driver yourself in court?

So, what? If the at-fault driver doesn't have a pot to **** in, what good's a judgment?
(And, no, Joey, I didn't type in a "naughty" word - which happens to be in the King James version of the Bible, by the way; I typed in four asterisks.
wink.gif
)

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
The State caught on finally some people were taking out a month's worth of insurance for the card and then dropping the insurance a week or two later. Now the State has an arrangement whereby the information is forwarded directly by insurance companies so the State knows how long the driver has been insured and whether the insurance is cancled as soon as the companies' computer records are updated.

That's good news. Are they actually doing anything when someone cancels their insurance after getting a registration or license?

Thanks. I may just delay getting my driver's license all together for another few years, as I really don't need it.

After all, for college, I'll probably be living on campus or have access to public transportation, so heck, I may even wait until after college.
tongue.gif

In PA, you can tell when someone has no insurance on a registered vehicle. It's the only time you'll see a state police car in the borough. They come and pull the tag. On a traffic stop, I don't believe that they burden the officer with towing the car and whatnot. I think that they just write the ticket and then it's moved to the local magistrate for disposition. There's always the possibility of a cross wiring of insurance on record and, apparently, too many were actually insured but didn't have their documention on them ..and endured substantial costs.

clean record no tickets no accidents, class a, $1700 a year for minimal coverage.... will have to check out amica

edit: heres the amica quote

quote:

August 12, 2006
Amica Auto Quote for
XXXXXXX XXXXXX
12-month premium
$1,437.88

it's a product of people in California not knowing how to drive, and the responsible ones paying for it.

[ August 12, 2006, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Zee1 ]

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
Are they actually doing anything when someone cancels their insurance after getting a registration or license?

An automatic mailing goes out advising the driver that the State's records are incomplete due to lack of proof of insurance. I believe they have 30 days to forward such proof or their current registration and driver's license will be nullified as well as notification to State and local police agencies. I doubt an APB is put out and S.W.A.T. teams summoned
wink.gif
, but if the miscreant is involved in an accident or stopped for a traffic infraction, his/her name will likely pop right up on the cop car's computer. ("Mr. er, 'Smith', we show outstanding warrants for terrorist activities, spousal abuse, fraud, reckless endangerment, child molestation, and dealing in controlled substances. But, what's this about driving without insurance? Are you aware you could be fined and/or have to submit to limited community service for this oversight?")

I pay 932.00 a year through progressive.

92 Daytona, 181,xxx on it.
Had my license for 4 years and only 1 minor fender bender 3 years ago.

I got the PA reqed liability and comprehensive. No collision though.
Comes down to less than 80 a month so its a good deal I guess. All the other insurance companies for the same coverage were gonna charge me at least 150 a month.

NJ is the highest in the nation. I have been with GEICO for 2 years and yes I did save a lot on my car insurance. Great company to deal with IMO.

Mike,

To save yourself $$$, find out who's your states Farm Beareau an get insured thru them. In Illinois, it was Country Companies, here in TN, it's the TN Farm Beareau.

I switched from State Farm years ago...saved me tons. I was a number at State Farm even after being a customer there for 15 years. Customer service is top notch at the farm beareau places. I'm never going with the big players ever again if I can help it.

Filed 2 claims recently--again, service and payouts were easy. Great people. I'm a lifelong customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back