yet another twist to the story in FL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Olas
A purely hypothetical question;

If one lives in a country with easy access to firearms, does one have a obligation or duty to remain armed at all times for the purpose of defense, or 'levelling the playing field' if you want to put it that way?

No "obligation or duty" expect for what you personally feel is needed to protect yourself and family. Some people feel that they must conceal carry at all times when out in public, some people feel they must have a gun in the home for protection, and some people don't feel they need anything but 911 and the police.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Those of you who live in South FL - What was your perception of the Broward County Sheriffs prior to this incident?

The absolute dumbest law enforcement agency known to man.

BSO is who you call if there is a bear in your backyard or a tiger in your kitchen.

If BSO were a Street Fighter character, it would be Zangief.

Asking BSO to investigate a complex situation is like sitting a monkey at a nuclear reactor.

BSO way of handling mentally unstable trouble makers is to ignore them, and keep on trucking because they don't want to deal with a "pain in the butt".

BSO are the head knockers. If they can't beat it or shoot it, they're just going to get back in their cars and leave.

I thought you were exaggerating, but in light of the latest article, I believe you.

The opposite is true, unfortunately. I really can't express how awful they are.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Criminals are called criminals because they do not care about rules or laws. Make all the laws you want and criminals will still go about their business with not a care in the world.

By that logic why even have locks on your door? If you make it harder, it cuts down on the number of incidents that you have.

Please do some research on alcohol prohibition. Outlawing things can actually make problems worse.

Putting a lock on your door does not create a black market. Outlawing items does.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
More patterns emerge...

All these system failures look deliberate to me.

No way any of this is deliberate (tin foil hat stuff) ... but what's clear is many systems are not in place, or extremely broken or inefficient.

People don't want to pay for systems. I'd suspect especially in a place like FL, where there is no income tax at all apparently. Systems cost money.

It's sad that people have to even think about the need for guards and protection (all of which costs money, yet another evil public servant and pensioner at each public school in a town?).

I personally am not a fan of restricting SA weapons, but see very little reason for high capacity magazines. That said, a perp who wants to do bad can rapidly reload from a backpack full of ready 10 round mags too... so while there may be some slight rationale to some semblance of one facet of gun control discussion, it doesn't solve any issue.

We already have more people incarcerated than in any other industrialized nation.

If a crazy can't get a gun, what's the next step? What will they try next? What are the statistics of school massacres in the rest of the world? Bombs? Cars? Chemicals?

Locked doors won't help, this person snuck in.

A swipe in/out may help - you can't get in without swiping in. But it's a huge bottleneck and can likely be worked around unless you're going to convert every single school in the country into a mini pentagon. Again, who wants to pay for that?

It truly is a matter of finding, tracking, and restricting the crazies, without having big brother in your life or being tracked. But that's a slippery slope towards a one strike rule.

Thew wealthy, retirees, and wealthy retirees have absolutely zero intentions of ponying up the cash to reinforce schools. they'll shut down a fire department in the middle of a drought if it lowers property taxes. The dominant voting force here is not families.

I'm not sure where that conclusion comes from. Look at Australia, Europe, et cetera.

I'm not sure why people continue to compare us to other countries on this issue...it's an invalid comparison... [/quote]

I'm not sure why you think I was comparing the US to other countries. I was just offering you a rebuttal on how gun laws did achieve things in other countries.

Those types of laws probably won't pass in this country though.

Probably more accurate to say more proposed gun laws will do nothing because they won't pass.

Connecticut did pass some tough gun laws after Sandy Hook, death rate went down but still haven't gone to zero. [/quote]

I'm from NYC, where all guns are unavailable for purchase by a normal citizen. I'd bet you any amount of money that I could show up there right now, and buy a gun within 3 hours of arrival.

The gun ban in NYC never did anything to prevent gun violence. During the 80's and early 90's, it was as dangerous as it got. What worked was better policing.

Mexico has tough gun laws, and restrictions on weapon caliber and type, and just look how safe that place is.

Thew wealthy, retirees, and wealthy retirees have absolutely zero intentions of ponying up the cash to reinforce schools. they'll shut down a fire department in the middle of a drought if it lowers property taxes. The dominant voting force here is not families.

Don't know about that ... my property taxes keep going up at an alarming rate for school related funding. People continue to keep passing initiatives to increasing school funding.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Don't know about that ... my property taxes keep going up at an alarming rate for school related funding. People continue to keep passing initiatives to increasing school funding.

Different place. Florida brings people here with the promise of small government and lower property taxes. We have notoriously underfunded and inadequate schools.

They might find a way to get the money to reinforce schools, but I seriously doubt it will come from local government. They'll almost certainly end up dinging some federal fund for that.

Maybe this shows that as human beings we have no idea what we would do until confronted with the situation. Some may be able to jump to action and others not. Some may be risk takers and brave. Others may be paralyzed by fear or doubt.

That is why expecting armed teachers to stop a similar incident in my opinion is iffy at best.

Well, our kids need better security and many have a weight and attitude problem …

Sounds like an ex serviceman PE coach (who did his time in Iraq) would be able to hang in there.
And before you declare them all unstable … the best supervisor I have on my staff is just that. He does not curse, smoke, or drink. Very organized, polite, and productive (has degree). Great leadership. True family guy, physically active, and an expert at firearms … However … does not own AR’s … said he’s done with those …

I'm not sure where that conclusion comes from. Look at Australia, Europe, et cetera.

I'm not sure why you think I was comparing the US to other countries. I was just offering you a rebuttal on how gun laws did achieve things in other countries.

I'm interested in what you are hearing are the result of Australia's 1996 Gun laws....

We've never had a Port Arthur since the changes is the one that the politicians wheel out generally ?
We hadn't had on before either. The weapon used at the time was already illegal in the majority of the state, and had actually been handed in in another state's amnesty.

They know that they only got less than a third of the SKS/SKK rifles that came into the country...where are the rest, and why weren't they handed in, like the laws required ?

(and they aren't appearing in massacres, either coincidentally).

The number of "firearm" deaths dropped, for sure. That's a fact that they wheel out regularly.

However, they DON'T tell us that is primarily due to suicide statistics...people are just finding other ways to kill themselves. No fewer suicides, but just less with guns.

They LOVE gun suicides, however, as it ticks so many boxes. It's a firearm death, a firearm homicide, unlawful use of a firearm...all boxes that get ticked in the statistics generating machine...thus the downward trend, without things REALLY changing that much.

I can't get a 10/22, or a Mini 14, as these are "Assault Rifles"...Body Armour is a "prohibited weapon", just like an AR, or a wrist rocket.

Gang's have 10mm Glocks, which has again NEVER been allowed into the civilian population...where do these things get recorded in the "success" of our laws ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back