Yamaha SHO Oil

I have a new fishing boat coming with a Yamaha VMAX SHO 200 and started doing some reading on oil for it. Sounds like Yamaha wants their Yamalube 4M or 1M, or an FCW oil in it, but I about spit my coffee when I seen what they get for the yamalube. I've read of guys running t6 5w-40 in smaller Yamahas with success, any experience with it in the 4.2 liter VMAX? I historically put ~20 hours per year on my big motor and plan on changing it every fall before storage. I'd like to find a full synthetic that will do the job and not cause any warranty issues (5 year factory extended w/ current promo) but won't cost an arm and a leg.

Last edited:
This is a new motor … ? What does the owners manual say about NMMA approved oils … ?

SHO in Yamaha speak used to translate into super high output.

Big dollar, top performance.

I'd pony up the money for Yamaha oil, maybe let the dealer get the first few changes in.

Confusing since Yamaha was part of the Ford Taurus SHO project providing the hot engine in the 1980s.

Originally Posted by Fattylocks

I'd pony up the money for Yamaha oil, maybe let the dealer get the first few changes in.

The SHO series are high performance motors. They should use the preferred Yamalube that's a synthetic. Break it in as per Yamaha's procedure. If not they will "make oil" and near impossible to seat the rings. You won't regret using the recommended oil in a 20k motor.

Originally Posted by Fattylocks

Thanks for the replies, I maybe should have worded my post differently. While I'm not out to pinch pennies on a 20k motor, I'm not looking to spend top dollar coin on middle of the road performance either. If I've learned one thing from this site it's that just because an oil is the most expensive, doesn't mean it's the best. I may also look at Amsoil as I had good results with their HP marine oil in my old Optimax. Has anyone had experience with their synthetic 4 stroke outboard oils?

Originally Posted by PontiacHO
The SHO series are high performance motors. They should use the preferred Yamalube that's a synthetic. Break it in as per Yamaha's procedure. If not they will "make oil" and near impossible to seat the rings. You won't regret using the recommended oil in a 20k motor.

I've heard mixed reviews on the break in procedure and the "making oil" problem with the 4.2 liters. Some folks are saying to follow the Mercury break in procedure which essentially runs it a little harder earlier than the Yamaha one.

For the first time taking it out break it in with 1 trip if possible - full 8 hours. Fill the tank and go to a lake instead of a river system where the water is warmer. You need the heat and load to seat the rings. I have an outboard that makes oil and wish I could break it in that way.

They push the 4.2L to way more than 200 HP ...
it's not that radical. Mystik has some excellent synthetic NMMA TC-W oils around $8/quart
They publish all critical properties on website

Do the 10 hrs break in as Yamaha advises. Then run it like you stole it. If you don’t follow their procedure and it “makes oil” the technician can download the historical data to see how it was operated during break in.

Yamalube comes in both conventional (blue bottle) and full synthetic (gold bottle). The 4M is for 4 stroke outboards. I would be using the correct oil and filter, and saving my receipts, if it were still under warranty.

I have three outboards, none of which are under warranty. They all get Ecstar V7000. Its Suzuki's Semi Synthetic. Boats.net seems to have the best prices, but you can find it elsewhere.

I ultimately decided to go with Amsoil at least through the warranty period. However, I never did the 20 hour post break-in oil change as there were issues with the hull so Skeeter decided in August to replace the whole package under warranty. Due to circumstances, I'm just scheduled to take delivery next week. I'll stick with Amsoil through the warranty period, then maybe explore Rotella T6 as an option.

Just curious. Why avoid using the recommended Yamaha oil?
There is a very long list of FC-W oils that could really matter in a warranty case. Yes, T6 meets most of the criteria and works for some - but there are NMMA tests as well. I always found other FC-W oils cheaper than Yamalube … even QS was … And really good specs here:

A Suzuki mechanic in S. Texas did a homegrown test with a twin engine boat … after a WOT run - the “road” oil definitely had more air in the oil than NMMA spec oil …

I should have directed the question to the boat/motor owner...
I ask because I own a Yamaha 4 stroke outboard and like Yamalube products.
Just wondering if I’m misinformed about quality etc??

I should have directed the question to the boat/motor owner...
I ask because I own a Yamaha 4 stroke outboard and like Yamalube products.
Just wondering if I’m misinformed about quality etc??
Mostly I feel Yamalube is premium price for average protection. Full disclosure: I have no UOA or VOAs to base my opinion on, just observations of OEM branded fluids. I'm not one of the Amsoil fanboys, but I do think they make good products, and I can purchase full synthetic Amsoil for the same or less than conventional Yamalube. As far as the T6 after the warranty expires, I have read of many folks using it with success and I have used it in 3 motorcycles with very good results - so I'm admittedly biased towards it.

I use Amsoil in my SHO really everything I own has Amsoil in it. Far as break-in follow Yamaha break-in so its in there if they look. After the 10 hours take that thing on the longest run at WOT as you can for as long as you can. I live around Sam Rayburn I took mine from the dam north of 147 bridge about a 35 minute run turned around came back down and made another trip up and down only slowing enough to turn around mine finally stopped making oil after that.

Back