Xtra Visions that much better over OEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep Boys has $5 off for a pair of Sylvania Xtra Vision bulbs. Regularly $15 now $10.

Are these bulbs brighter, or a different color than OEM.

Yes, I know how SilverStar are not as good in wet, foggy and raining conditions.

But are the Xtra Visions worth the $10 to upgrade?

Your thoughts and experiences.

And please, no "do a search". I have read about Xtra Vs Silverstar Vs Ricer Vs Hyper White etc etc.

This is in referance to Xtra Vision vs OEM

Thanks

In 9004-series bulbs on my old Hyundai they were better than the Silver Stars, and some blue bulbs I bought somewhere or other on the web. The OEMs and Xtra Visions don't filter out the yellow part of the spectrum the way SiverStars seem to. Me, I like that, but a lot of folks swear by the Silver Stars.

I bought a harness that had the relays built-in and run off the old sockets, but are powered directly off the battery. With that arrangement, you gain a couple of volts at the bulb over the stock arrangement owing to the much lesser resistance derived from larger gauge wiring. With the harness you can get bulbs that burn 55/100W instead of 55/60 or 65. Between the two upgrades you get the best improvement in performance from your lights without getting into blue bulbs of various brands. Problem with SilverStars and the 55/100W bulbs is, they burned out way too fast. When I got the Xtravisions, all was quite well until I traded the car. XtraVisions are a great compromise in price and especially durability over the performance of the SilverStars, which you may not like anyway.

$10? Worth it!

I just had one of the oem lows burn out on my 02 Silverado. Put in a pair of xtras and they seem quite a bit brighter than the old ones which seemed very weak and yellow to me. Now the lows are not that different from the brights, just pointed differently. No telling how long they will last but I am happy with them.

Get them!

Better yet, get the Philips VisionPlus bulbs. Though I don't think there are any Meijer stores in Texas, they have these bulbs on sale this week for $5.00 off regular price.

Also, get one of those upgraded wiring harnesses.
approved.gif

Together, they'll make your night
driving.gif
more enjoyable.

Just put in a set of XtraVision yesterday. It made a big difference, the old ones were 1 year old oem replacements.
driving.gif

Well, maybe the OEMs were starting to go. Yeah, they blow after awhile, but they'll grow dimmer as time goes on, and as the filament wears. I've got a lousy 21K and 8 months on this car, and between the plastic lens clouding, and the bulb wearing (I run the headlights all day, every day) I can tell a difference in brightness

That Xtravision is a great bulb, though, you didn't go wrong..
cheers.gif

The Xtra Visions claim a 15% gain over OEM Bulbs. GE NightHawk give you about a 20% gain. The 9011 and 9012 series that can replace 9006 and 9007 bulbs provide about 75% and 50% gains respectively.

Richard.

I've had them in for over a year now and am pleased with the switch from basic halogen. Its just noticeable difference in extra and longer light output but with long
enough life and great price. I did spend alot of time looking at extra light output specs verses hours of service life. I ruled out any that won't deliver at least two years of expected service life.

i love the xtravision bulbs. much brighter than oem and you can get them pretty much anywhere. i've been using mine for 2-3 years now.

Quote:

The Xtra Visions claim a 15% gain over OEM Bulbs. GE NightHawk give you about a 20% gain. The 9011 and 9012 series that can replace 9006 and 9007 bulbs provide about 75% and 50% gains respectively.

Richard.

Are the Nighthawks more wattage over the stock bulbs? I think OEM bulbs are 55 watts, but I would have to check. If they are more wattage, will I overheat anything or need to change my harness for these bulbs?
patriot.gif

The increased light output from the Xtravision and the Nighthawks comes from an improved filament and different gas used in the bulb. They are std wattage.

Great Thanks!
I definately want a sensible upgrade from my OEM, but not the change intervals of the blue xenon lights that are popular with the imports.

Quote:

I just had one of the oem lows burn out on my 02 Silverado. Put in a pair of xtras and they seem quite a bit brighter than the old ones which seemed very weak and yellow to me. Now the lows are not that different from the brights, just pointed differently. No telling how long they will last but I am happy with them.

I like Xtravisions also. I found them to be quite superior to all the other bulbs I tried since I got the car 7 years ago. I've had them in now for about 2 1/2 years. Though I'd like to put Xtravisions in our other car they don't have the correct #s so may go with Nighthawks for that car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back