Would You Repair it: Razor Blade

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i've had a tire losing about 12 pounds a day on my Golf. Take it in, theres a razor blade piece in the middle of the tread block. You can't even see a puncture on the inside of the tire. Discount doesn't want to repair it because its not a round hole or something like that. "If it got water inside there and had problems that would be bad." I looked at it, and it seemed perfectly fine to drill and plug patch. I also don't care about spending the $50 pro rata for a new tire, so we're just going to do that. This is a michelin X ice tire that is 9/10th new.

What does the forum think of a very mild but slash type damage? (Not round puncture) No pics because you can't even really see anything on the outside or inside of the tire, you have to move tread out of the way.

Personally, and only because I am so tight I squeeze a penny til Lincoln hollers, and because I have personally patched many tires that technically weren't suppose to be patchable with no problems, I would try to locate the leaky area in side the tire, and put a large patch on it and remount it. If no leak, run it. AS an alternate fix, how about some Slime in the tire.

I would never slime a tire personally. I believe this one could totally be fixed but i am annoyed by a patched tire as much as i am a tire out of a set that is newer than the others. Unfortunately i'm not at that phase of life yet where i have a shop with tire equipment in the back yard or i would personally patch this tire. DT is going to lose money pro rating this tire out and now i will have a slight miss match all for the sake of "legal liability"

It sounds like some plies may have been cut, no way I would run or fix that. Being frugal is one thing being foolish and possibly causing an accident for the sake of saving the money is another. JMO

Originally Posted by dareo
I would never slime a tire personally. I believe this one could totally be fixed but i am annoyed by a patched tire as much as i am a tire out of a set that is newer than the others. Unfortunately i'm not at that phase of life yet where i have a shop with tire equipment in the back yard or i would personally patch this tire. DT is going to lose money pro rating this tire out and now i will have a slight miss match all for the sake of "legal liability"

I've been sliming them since the 80s never had a lick of a problem . It's always been my go to when's plug didn't quite seal and especially when the aluminum rimshot those tiny bubbles along sealing surfaces and slow leaked. I'm probably on my 3rd or 4th gallon by now.

Originally Posted by Trav
It sounds like some plies may have been cut, no way I would run or fix that. Being frugal is one thing being foolish and possibly causing an accident for the sake of saving the money is another. JMO
That line is very wide and fuzzy. I swear 50% of this board owns a tire shop by the way they recommend to throw new tires on everything over the smallest issues.

Depends on how you drive really. If you drive 75-80, I'd just get a new tire. I'd just patch it from the inside, as I don't drive over 60 and have experience on tires popping at 55mph. No loss of control at all, just slow down and pull over.

A couple of thoughts:

First, how big is the cut on the outside? Yes, I know you can't see it on the inside, but the size of the cut on the outside would indicate how many plies are damaged. If more than 3/8", then the tire is toast.

Second, based on what's been said so far, there are likely plies damaged, and that means a patch is needed to bridge the damage. It's possible that the damage could grow - like a cracked windshield grows. In other words, a plug is just not going to cut it.

IMHO, this likely means the tire should be replaced.

But in the event you chose not to follow this advice (replace the tire), and decide to repair it, please do us all a favor and inspect the tire periodically - say, once a week - by rubbing your GLOVED hand over the circumference to feel for a bulge. If you find one, replace the tire immediately.

Also, a vibration that is gradually increasing in intensity is a sure sign that a separation is developing - and it only takes a few hundred miles for a separation to go from barely detectable to dangerous.

Somehow Discount tire got me a tire the same day, this is an X Ice 3 195 65 15 so not something they have on hand at every store. New tire replacing the "old" tire that had worn about 1/32nds ended up costing $45 all in. Now my tread depths dont match by 1/32nd!! the horrors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back