Would you consider retiring to a different country?

Southern Brazil would be the only serious consideration as well as most of Italy. They are really great places to live.............BUT...........

Most countries are about as free as the USA anymore with the exception of the 2nd. If I can't bring my guns, I'm not moving. Although WA is getting worse than some countries...........just saying.
Our state is terrible now when it comes to the 2nd. Sad.

My sister and her husband bought property in Uruguay but unfortunately he passed away before they could do anything with it. It has an ocean view. There's low crime, good health care, and low cost of living according to them. Me? No.

A lot of people like to visit Costa Rica, and some consider moving there.
If Costa Rica is so great, why are so many Hondurans, Nicaraguans, and Guatemalans coming here?
Because they dont live in Costa Rica and they cannot afford too? You must keep in mind they come here to the USA because we give them everything for free from our own personal paychecks like no other country.

BTW- Many wealthy Americans and others around the world own homes in Costa Rica

Maybe few months a year to the Philippines since family had 2.5 acres land for retirement house with fruit trees,plenty veggies.Good escape for Chicago winter.

Considered it very briefly. My wife is from Mexico. She much prefers the US and this is where her grandchildren are.....so we'll stay here.

Never.

Most people don’t like Americans because of their culture and you’re a target since they know you got money.

If Costa Rica is so great, why are so many Hondurans, Nicaraguans, and Guatemalans coming here?
Because they don't want to surf all day like I do when I go to Costa Rica. There's also a rainy season in Costa Rica. Depending on where you are the roads are rough. 4WD mandatory. Lots of expatriats there. Many run surf schools or surf camps. Getting shipments and supplies from the US is slow.

Last edited:
Many countries are know for cheaper living then the U.S but still having a relatively same lifestyle. Would you ever consider moving to another country to live cheaper or better for the same $$?

Which country would you chose?

I would consider it but the wife not so much.
Your asking on a site where quite frankly guys don't travel much-especially internationally. Costa Rica would be a beautiful place to retire to. This of course is if you can be outside of the government healthcare and pay for your own private doctors and hospitals.

Back in the Vietnam days, the Phillippines was my choice,, 1969. If you have $2500 coming in on social security you can live well there,,,that said, I will stay in the USA....I've been to Costa Rica, no go imho, Japan nope, China o blankety blank no....USA as messed up as it is,,,I will stay here.....IM to darn old now to be to adventurous ....amen..

Simple - Costa Rica does not have an open border, and immediately provide social assistance.

Same reason they don't stop in Mexico along the way. There not welcome.

I am not saying those places are better than here - I am simply saying its not even an option for the migrants.

Back