Would this tire be safe to mount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would this tire be safe to mount even if part of the bead lip is missing as shown by the red rectangle?

Last edited:
That is the sealing surface that is missing, its not necessarily unsafe, but it wont hold air!

Next year invest in an extra set of Rims so you dont need to constantly mount and dismount your summer and winter tires on the same rim.

I'm sure it'd work fine. Some loss of sealing area, but I don't think that spot of rubber does more than seal.

In the same breadth I'd gladly buy a new tire instead (well a pair anyhow). Looks like rust on the steel, probably working its way into the tire.

I ran one like that, and live to tell about it. I wouldn't trust my wife to drive a car with that, but I would. I don't mind a flat on a cold morning or a blow out on harsh terrain, but that's me.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
No

This x 1000!

And hello fellow Ottawonian!

That is where all of the sealing of the tire happens, not on the side of the bead. The bead steel is also now exposed and rusting (as you can see in the pic). That is what holds the tremendous forces to actually hold the tire onto the rim.

Last edited:
Im not telling you its safe or not safe, but we have mounted dozens upon dozens like that on race cars. Never ever had one fail. A few would leak and we'd have to use sealer, but not common.

Yeah, it's probably safe.. but the more important question here is "Is it RELIABLE?"

If you DO decide to mount it, be prepared for when it does ultimately fail/go flat.

Me? I would only use it if I absolutely had no better choice. IMHO, a better choice would be to get an inexpensive new 'bargain' tire, or a decent-quality used one.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
Im not telling you its safe or not safe, but we have mounted dozens upon dozens like that on race cars. Never ever had one fail. A few would leak and we'd have to use sealer, but not common.

Exactly this. I've seen beads nicked on the "inner flap" that seal fine. This is a great reason to have dedicated winter wheels so you mount once and are done, not wearing a surface like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back