Working on an old fiberglass topper-

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old Eagle Industries topper from Plymouth, Indiana on an '85 El Camino. They are apparently out of business and I need to source the extruded and other window, hatch and other sealing rubbers and don't really see a source for but one or two. The fiberglass seems to have a white gelcoat and a then a factory gray paint over that. The shell is in good shape, but the gray paint is bad. I'm thinking of maybe sanding off the gray paint and hoping to end up with a nice white topper. Any thoughts or pointers appreciated.

I would lop a piece of rubber off, get a cross section, and measure it. Am guessing there are various online places to buy lengths of rubber from.

I refurbished a fibreglass truck canopy about 8 years ago, I was able to find a company on-line that specialized in rubber extrusions and press on edge covers.

I seem to remember they were based in Texas, but can't recall the name right now.

Sorry.

Always remember when it comes to manufacturers. They SOURCE many of the component parts used in their finished product. So as was suggested you may find the rubber by searching around also other parts attached to the product like the windows etc. 99% of the time they are industry standard parts.

I had a broken rear window in a truck cap and they could not locate a replacement. A local glass company made a Plexiglas one, then sent that out to a company that cut some glass and tempered it, then the local glass company installed it. Insurance paid for it.

I've checked a number of outfits for the various seals/gaskets and can find a couple, but some will have to go begging I guess. I went after the gray paint over the white gelcoat with a bit of 220 wet/dry and then moved to 400. Soon I'll go to 600 and then see how some of my rubbing/polishing compounds work. I thought I'd finish up with Techwax or Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back