Words to Live By.....

If you learn from your mistakes, you'll get one heck of an education.

If you try to make an idiot proof solution, they'll just come up with a better idiot.

When I was 20, I was grocery shopping and this hippy guy came up and pressured me into buying an LP "to help the children". He said it was a great album, featuring George Harrison among others. It was sold by donation. I reluctantly gave him $10, mostly to make him go away, and he kept on bugging me until I upped it to $20. This was in '77/78, and $20 was a lot of money - perhaps a tank and a half of gas for my '71 Biscayne, or several times my hourly wage. I was absolutely kicking myself afterwards.

The album was unlistenable - I didn't even get through Side A. Way too much sitar for my liking. It turned out it was produced by the Hare Krishna folks.

I told an older man at church this story, and he said "Sounds like you got a dollar's worth of record, and $19 worth of experience".

On the mechanical side -

Regarding the value of regular maintenance:
"Oil is cheaper than metal."

Regarding the assumption that the misfire can't be due to spark plugs (or points, or plug wires ...), because you just replaced them:
"Just because it's new doesn't mean it's right!"

A veteran coworker, upon being brought in from the field to do design work, and seeing the fancy computer at his new work station:

"Huh, they're puttin' a $200 saddle on a $50 horse "

Back