WM battery date code

I was at a Walmart yesterday and noticed they had a few batteries with 5/23 date codes. I always assumed that was the manufacturer date code, but being how we are so early in the month, perhaps they are applied when they are stocked on shelves? In theory, it would be ideal to go for the latest date, but perhaps they aren’t as new or accurately dated as I had assumed in the past?

On a side note, this store had a large selection of AGM batteries in grey housings. I didn’t know WM was selling those. Good to know.

You can't rely on the date as a manufacturing date. I've been told that sticker was the month somebody trickle charged it.
Several years ago, I needed to purchase a battery and it was the afternoon of the second day of the month. I went into a big-box store (it wasn't WM), and I grabbed the battery that I needed. The sticker was the same month and year of when I was there. Now think about it: Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say that the battery was manufactured and came off the assembly line on 12:01 AM on the first day of the month. :cool: Okay, then it sits on the storage facility at the factory. It is then loaded up on a truck and shipped to the seller's warehouse. From the seller's warehouse, it then goes to the individual store where it gets purchased. In my case, it would have been a matter of about 36 hours. No way.

How about this: The date code is applied by the manufacturer, taking into consideration build and shipping time. So, being early in the month for sure they weren't built a few days ago, correct.

I know there is a lust here on this site by some to "expose" Walmart for alleged shenanigans.

But let's go for the conspiracy theory that Walmart fraudulently puts on date codes themselves to "freshen" their stock.

If so, why are are there some months-old batteries, slow sellers, with old dates ? Look at unpopular models like 27, 58R , 151 and so on; in contrast with 24, 35, 65 (common applications) will always be current.

For the record I don't have anything against Walmart or Sam's club, I purchased 2x Group 65 Duracell batteries at Sam's in April of 21.
The date code Sticker on each is 3/21, a day or 2 later I was going to install them and checked voltage on each battery and they were at 12.5v each. I didn't think much of it at the time but put them on my battery tender overnight, installed them the next day and quite frankly have had low voltage ie 12.4 to 12,5v problems since.
I am having them load tested tomorrow and then taking them back if the test comes back low. I expect better of East Penn batteries of which always run 12,6 to 12.7v on my truck. I have my old East Penn 850 CCA batteries in at present that sit at 12,6v every morning that are 6 years old, I out of habit change my batteries out at a 4 year interval as winter temperatures can get brutal in Northern Illinois. I should have brought my meter with me at purchase, I won't make that mistake again.
Larry

I was at a Walmart yesterday and noticed they had a few batteries with 5/23 date codes. I always assumed that was the manufacturer date code
It's been shown (here) many times that those little stickers clearly aren't related to the manufacturing date. At best, it's when they put it out on the shelf, as you mention. They are put on by store personnel.

I was at a Walmart yesterday and noticed they had a few batteries with 5/23 date codes. I always assumed that was the manufacturer date code, but being how we are so early in the month, perhaps they are applied when they are stocked on shelves? In theory, it would be ideal to go for the latest date, but perhaps they aren’t as new or accurately dated as I had assumed in the past?

On a side note, this store had a large selection of AGM batteries in grey housings. I didn’t know WM was selling those. Good to know.
WM sells AGMs and has for awhile. I have two in my F250. But not all Walmarts and even if they have one today does not mean they will get more in anytime soon. I had to go to two Walmarts to get the two for my F250. They are Easy Penn by the way. They also don't have the AGM batteries in all group sizes.

The date code being a month ahead seems to be common. I am pretty sure the date code is put on at the factory not a guy stocking the shelves.

It's been said here that WM "rounds up" so after the 15th of April they'll slap a May sticker on.

I am pretty sure the date code is put on at the factory not a guy stocking the shelves.
There's almost certainly a "code" on the battery (batch, lot #, manufacture date, etc) but I'm pretty sure the one people are referring to here is just the (typically) colored, circle sticker with "5/23" or "4/22" or whatever on them:

1683334950809.jpg

How about this: The date code is applied by the manufacturer, taking into consideration build and shipping time. So, being early in the month for sure they weren't built a few days ago, correct.

I know there is a lust here on this site by some to "expose" Walmart for alleged shenanigans.

But let's go for the conspiracy theory that Walmart fraudulently puts on date codes themselves to "freshen" their stock.

If so, why are are there some months-old batteries, slow sellers, with old dates ? Look at unpopular models like 27, 58R , 151 and so on; in contrast with 24, 35, 65 (common applications) will always be current.
“Exposing WM’s shenanigans” was not my intention of this post.

I bought a Interstate battery and they stuck the month and year sticker on the battery before I left the store.
For the Interstate batteries, perhaps this is similar to the batteries where the seller pulls away the cut outs to document the month, day, and year the battery was put into use for warranty purposes. This seemed more common in the past than it is today.

I bought a group size 35 AGM battery at Walmart around the middle of April. It had a 3/23 date code. New enough for me. I hooked it up to my CTEK battery maintainer before installing it and it took about 8 hours to go through the whole process of bringing it up to a full charge. I was surprised to see that it was made in Korea and wasn't from one of the US battery manufacturers.

I also lucked out on the price, I bought it on a Thursday and when I brought my old battery in for the core charge refund on Monday the shelf price had gone up $20. Inflation is everywhere.

Back