Wix/Napa oil filter pricing

The Extended Life Microgard (not Microguard) is made in Vietnam. Don't think there is any connection to Warren. I've looked at these in person at O'Reilly Auto Parts and they seem well made.

I read warren somewhere but it did seem odd? I wonder who makes the microgard select - might still be MH? They have a factory in Vietnam?

^^^ Box said distributed by Ozark Automotive. No mention anywhere of Mann+Hummel on the box.

^^^ Box said distributed by Ozark Automotive. No mention anywhere of Mann+Hummel on the box.
A quick google search tells me "
Ozark Automotive Distributors, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of O'Reilly Automotive, Inc."

Could simply be a contract manufacturer in Vietnam. Hard to say.

Could simply be a contract manufacturer in Vietnam. Hard to say.
They seem to have their own characteristics, so Id say O'Reilly specified their own filter and had it built at some established filter factory in Vietnam.

They seem to have their own characteristics, so Id say O'Reilly specified their own filter and had it built at some filter factory in Vietnam.
It would make sense for the auto parts stores to move up the value chain. Companies like Dorman have done it for years - own the brand name but manufacture nothing - why not O'Reilly's.

My entire foray onto this website ( which i previously just browsed) was around Christmas I purchased a wix air filter - same one I have likely bought 20 times - I have 2 old rigs that use them. The old ones had a metal mesh backing and was made in USA. The new one had no backing and was made in Spain. It has fewer pleats as well. It cost way more than I ever paid.

I emailed wix customer service to aske if maybe I got a counterfeit. They did not reply.

Then from reading here I learned Mann had purchased Wix and quality was going down hill. Not only are they trying to lower quality, but raise prices at the same time. If they had just kept making the same good stuff I likely would have just kept paying.

So now I feel obligated to patronize their competition.
Mann makes very high quality filters for the European brands. The ones for my VW cars are used as OEM and manufactured in Germany.

I believe so. Full is the brand name. They look just like a Roki filter. Made in Thailand

Here is the one for my cx5.

The number on the filter is for the non-turbo. Mazda has two different filters, as you know, one for the turbo and one for the regular engine with different numbers. Is this Full one good for both engines?

The number on the filter is for the non-turbo. Mazda has two different filters, as you know, one for the turbo and one for the regular engine with different numbers. Is this Full one good for both engines?

Nope. You will need to specify the turbo. I just used the Napa website and entered my vehicle info.

I have the normally aspirated motor.

NAPA carries many Full brand filters for Asian cars. Their XL (long life) cartridge filter for a Toyota and Lexus that I service for friends are about $7.50.

Yep. I call them Siam because that is the name of the manufacturer. Full is the brand on the filter.

The Extended Life Microgard (not Microguard) is made in Vietnam. Don't think there is any connection to Warren. I've looked at these in person at O'Reilly Auto Parts and they seem well made.

Yes, these look quite good. I wonder if @53' Stude has cut any open?

They seem to have their own characteristics, so Id say O'Reilly specified their own filter and had it built at some established filter factory in Vietnam.

These filters are Premium Guard filters just like the ones made for Federated Auto Parts and the former STP filters.

Slight black grippy paint on the outside with the obvious soft gasket.

These are very well built and are 99 percent at 20 microns.

These filters are Premium Guard filters just like the ones made for Federated Auto Parts and the former STP filters.
Are those brands also made in Vietnam - by the same factory? I've never looked to verify.

It’s not a concern with the affordability of it because as you said it’s only bought once in a while. I was just more curious if there’s a technical reason why Wix is pricing so much higher. When I say technical I’m referring to filter specs and quality of product. Yes, synthetic media cost more, but you can find synthetic media on other brands at significantly lower price points. So it comes down to “why pick this filter?” Perhaps they make sense in oil change deals.

We can’t pretend that inflation only caused one major brand to spike pricing from $6 to $20/filter over a few short time. Nothing compelling in the answers here yet to suggest it’s been anything other than consolidation in the marketspace by a major holding company which reduced competition which gave them more price control.

On a side note to others..
I’ve no interest engaging in the proverbial targeted media boogeyman news of hard times and depression ahead. That messaging is continuous over the years. Eventually you get a downturn and someone can say “ah ha! I was right!” None of us can predict world economics and severity of cycles. Back to filters, gang.

In any event, enjoy your week.

If you can find a show called Affluenza which was on Link TV.... Watch that. It was extremely well done. And one of the guests on that show was ridiculed and laughed at on a particular network in 2004 to 2006. Except he was correct in his analysis of what was really happening beyond the "official" numbers.

Cycles are easy to find if ONE pays attention...

Ask yourself this question...

Does real estate accumulate 200 percent value increase in 5 years typically ???

Ahhhh ..... No.... It does not.

Ok...

Next question....

Have people's incomes increased 100 to 200 percent within that same 5 year period ???

Ahhhh no.... It did not.... This example was from 2002 through 2007 by the way...

There is something fundamentally broken to cause all of that. It happened before and it's happening again....

Somethings are even wrong now whether you or I or anyone likes it or not.

Decisions made for a very long time have made things worse and worse over time.

Artificially keeping interest rates down for decades... The Fiat currency... The removal of Glass- Stegal.... Plus other numerous exceptionally wrong decisions made by both the public and private sectors have been walking this country into a very dark corner.

This is a long, long term problem that has been growing for 50 plus years.
In the last 25 it has been made worse by poor decisions by many across the spectrum.

Last edited:
Are those brands also made in Vietnam - by the same factory? I've never looked to verify.

Yeah they were...

I have had in my own hand the black Premium Guard filter made for Federated Auto Parts.... It was a PG. The STP black STP filters were a exact match.

Now of course the black STP filters have changed to Champ I think.

Everything is going up in price so we shouldn’t expect oil filters to stay at the same price they were.

Just got back from shopping. The store had a huge floor display of Martinelli sparkling cider. I remember when they were a Buck a bottle. These were close to $5 a bottle. We passed.

Everything is going up in price so we shouldn’t expect oil filters to stay at the same price they were.

Just got back from shopping. The store had a huge floor display of Martinelli sparkling cider. I remember when they were a Buck a bottle. These were close to $5 a bottle. We passed.
Yes and I got all 16 oil filters for the New Mazda at the pre-inflation price.:D

NAPA has never been known for having decent prices minus their sales if you can find a store that’s participating.

Combine that with everything going up, shortages in material, labor, logistics etc. and you’re going to have an even more expensive product.

Back