Wix/Napa oil filter pricing

So the Wix/Wix XP oil filters for my Toyota are between $16-$20. Maybe I haven't looked in a while, but I feel like pricing on their products have jumped significantly? Just out of curiosity what exactly is the draw to paying upwards of $20 for their filter when you could just buy the OEM for $7 or alternately a Fram Ultra for $10? I'm not understanding the valuation on Wix, but curious the community's thoughts?

Last edited:
Mann and Hummel needs to offset the cost they paid to buy wix.

My standard wix filters - there low end cans, were 5 bucks a year ago, now $8 on Rock Auto, $9.32 on Amazon.

I have been looking for alternates but so far I keep running into problems I don't like.

Mann and Hummel needs to offset the cost they paid to buy wix.

My standard wix filters - there low end cans, were 5 bucks a year ago, now $8 on Rock Auto, $9.32 on Amazon.

I have been looking for alternates but so far I keep running into problems I don't like.
Okay so I'm not crazy and the pricing did spike. I recently noticed the pricing on them at O'Reilly and compared at Napa. They are WAY up.

Riding the inflation train to reap more profits ... like many products these days. At some point they will lose sales and have to come back to reality.

They are raising prices because......

They have been affected by inflation has well and their wholesale suppliers have been affected and the raw materials producers have been hit by inflation too. Far, far, far too many dollars chasing TOO few goods and supplies.

Nothing is going to get back to "reality"...

I wish that could somehow be true.

They have been affected by inflation has well and their wholesale suppliers have been affected and the raw materials producers have been hit by inflation too. Far, far, far too many dollars chasing TOO few goods and supplies.

Perhaps a bit, but looking over the financial reports of these companies most are riding record profits.

Mann/Hummel bought a major competitor; thus control a larger portion of the market which creates more price control. Pricing hasn’t budged on the OEM filters for my applications nor have we seen other aftermarkets competing on the same space go up much.

There was a good piece on the radio this week about how dealerships are now paying far less on wholesale prices for cars from the manufacturers this year vs last, but have raised prices YoY by an average of 10% simply because the consumer is tolerating it. That’s not inflation.

Yes, that's true ... but IMO, many companies are charging more in the name of inflation to reap more profits. I highly doubt they only pass on the increase cost to them on a 1:1 bases to the customer. If WIX has to increase their prices 50-70%, then something wrong is going on due to goudging and/or bad management. Not all oil filters have gone up that much.

Last edited:
Perhaps a bit, but looking over the financial reports of these companies most are riding record profits.
Exactly, that doesn't happen by passing increased cost to the consumer on a 1:1 basis. They are riding the infation train as long as they can to reap record profits. I'd like to see a detailed financial statement of some of these record profit making companies, I bet it would be surprising.

"Recod profits" is very likely a misnomer...

Whether you or anyone else like it or not....

Far, far, far, far, far too many dollars chasing far, far, far, far too few goods.

If you actually know what the cost increase is for the parts of anything cost, then that gets passed on to the wholesale level which makes it to the retail level...

I have seen EVERYTHING has gone up quite a lot in the last couple of years.

Going back to reality.... Is not going to happen.

I hope I'm off here. I mean that. But there's a lot of confluence of events that make it hard to see a good way forward.

I also remember people bemoaning record profits of ExxonMobil back in 2006 or so...

Funny though they actually sold 330 billion dollars worth of product and made 33 billion in one quarter...

Well duh... They had sold a lot more product... At the typical 8-12 percent profit margin that they always had been operating for.

My step father who actually worked at a real refinery told me the margins they looked for was 8-12 percent.

So... I wasn't mad at anyone aka ExxonMobil for hitting g a routine target.

I hope I'm off here. I mean that. But there's a lot of confluence of events that make it hard to see a good way forward.
Prepare to learn how to live like they did in the book "Grapes of Wrath". :D I still remember the part in the book where they went to a junk yard for a used con-rod bearing that went out during their journey. Probably ran too thin motor oil, lol.

Far, far, far, far, far too many dollars chasing far, far, far, far too few goods.

If you actually know what the cost increase is for the parts of anything cost, then that gets passed on to the wholesale level which makes it to the retail level...

It is not a misnomer. Plenty of publically traded companies you can see the data for yourself. In any event I won’t be going down this rabbit hole on an oil filter forum.

I also remember people bemoaning record profits of ExxonMobil back in 2006 or so...

Funny though they actually sold 330 billion dollars worth of product and made 33 billion in one quarter...

Well duh... They had sold a lot more product... At the typical 8-12 percent profit margin that they always had been operating for.

My step father who actually worked at a real refinery told me the margins they looked for was 8-12 percent.

So... I wasn't mad at anyone aka ExxonMobil for hitting g a routine target.

I don’t recall this, but I’m speaking of record profit margins. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...fits-soar-taking-margins-to-widest-since-1950

On the flipside labor is strong and finally has some leverage.. that is until the continuous rate hikes send unemployment up. But hey! Oil filters. We are in an oil filter forum.

Boil the frog slowly during periods of inflation and charge as much as possible since people are in the inflation paying mode. That's one way to reap more profits while flying under the radar.

Last edited:

True but the math doesn't work.

PPI is up about 40% in 2 years.
Wages are up about 15% in 2 years.

FIlters up 60%? There not made of things with global shortages either - like IC's, copper wire, etc. There actually made of stuff that mostly hasn't increased much - like steel and paper.

There improving profits.

Perhaps the consolidation and profiteering will incentivize some other companies to enter the aftermarket oil filter market. Lots of companies make filters beside Mann and first brands. I was at Walmart the other day and they had a bunch of other stuff on the shelf I hadn't seen much of before - factory Toyota filters, and a couple other factory brands - I can't remember which.

Zee....

Maybe these companies are also planning for even MORE future inflation...

So to be set against that future... They are trying to prepare for it now.

I have seen a quart of Cam2 go from 2.99 a qt retail to 4.79 a quart.... That didn't happen because of record profit,... That happened because of the increase of base oil prices and additive price increases.

Heck Chobani yogurt in a 4 pack was 3.99 not on sale just 2 years ago....

Now it's 4.99 at Food Lion and 5.49 at Harris Teeter.

I mean this... I really hope I'm wrong here.

True but the math doesn't work.

PPI is up about 40% in 2 years.
Wages are up about 15% in 2 years.

FIlters up 60%? There not made of things with global shortages either - like IC's, copper wire, etc. There actually made of stuff that mostly hasn't increased much - like steel and paper.

There improving profits.

Perhaps the consolidation and profiteering will incentivize some other companies to enter the aftermarket oil filter market. Lots of companies make filters beside Mann and first brands. I was at Walmart the other day and they had a bunch of other stuff on the shelf I hadn't seen much of before - factory Toyota filters, and a couple other factory brands - I can't remember which.

Made up mathematics by you.....

You don't know everything involved in this circumstance. The real in depth costs of everything here. You don't know that. Nor should you be expected to know it either. To be fair.

Far, far, far far too many dollars chasing far far far far too few goods.

I am not upset that a basic Proformer Napa filter costs 6.49.

I am not thrilled about Napa Gold 57356 was costing 10.99.... Now I'd bet it's 11.49....

This massive problem is not going away. Again... I hope I'm wrong here about this circumstance.

Back