Wix filter garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled my Project farm approved Wix filter out of my Ford FoST only to find the intake tract full of dust. Upon inspection of the filter, I found the adhesive binding the media to the plastic housing had weakened. So I threw my trusty k$n back in there with a panty hose pre-filter on it. Get a wix they said, it’ll be great they said….
IMG_1710.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1712.jpeg
    IMG_1712.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 104
Quality has taken a hit on most products in the last few years.
Most definitely... I don't think you can truly purchase "quality" anymore. It's just product rebranding and repricing... and the sad thing is it works to a large degree, because most folks don't have the time or desire to research the products they buy, they just assume something costs more because it's better, and the name is "supposed" to be more premium 😕

I too like Wix. How old was this filter? How intense was your "inspection?" (ie, did it get pulled apart?). Sorry for this situation, but not enough to make me change my Wix-loving ways.

I used Wix air filters in my Nissan's for a decade - made in USA, metal mesh backed, many pleats.

I ordered one about 18 months ago, it showed up made in spain, much fewer pleats, no metal backing - and higher cost. I emailed wix with pictures asking if maybe it was fake No response.

Last Wix product I will ever use. I used Wix air and oil filters exclusively for more than a decade but thats over. Brand loyalty is for chumps - so I have been now taught.

How old was the Project Farm review. Not that I give it much merit but anything more than 2 years old is product that likely no longer exists.

FWIW - due to the air filter issue I ordered a Mahle, OEM, and Denso. The Mahle and Nissan OEM I believe are identical (except for the price - ha) I posted them here at some point The Denso looks better and closer to the Toyota OEM I use in my other vehicle.

Pulled my Project farm approved Wix filter out of my Ford FoST only to find the intake tract full of dust. Upon inspection of the filter, I found the adhesive binding the media to the plastic housing had weakened. So I threw my trusty k$n back in there with a panty hose pre-filter on it. Get a wix they said, it’ll be great they said….View attachment 168768
Was that a Wix Gold? I've never seen a Wix AF do that before-can you post the part number & COO stamped on it? I'm going to have to watch mine more carefully, that's pathetic.

A lot of the OEM filters are just rebranded aftermarket. Some are slightly better versions, but many are not.

Mopar and Motorcraft for example are Purolators.
Yep, I bought a Mahle air filter from RA and a Nissan air filter from the dealer - and there identical. I don't simply mean they look the same - I mean truly identical down to the jig marks that are likely there form being held under pressure during gluing. (I work in manufacturing).

The cut opens of the Toyota and Nissan oil filters I have seen don't inspire a lot of confidence either.

Pulled my Project farm approved Wix filter out of my Ford FoST only to find the intake tract full of dust. Upon inspection of the filter, I found the adhesive binding the media to the plastic housing had weakened. So I threw my trusty k$n back in there with a panty hose pre-filter on it. Get a wix they said, it’ll be great they said….View attachment 168768
Best of both worlds! Looks like a wix and filters like a K&N 🤣

OP: Almost a month of conjecture, but no data. How long was the wix oil filter in service exactly? Miles, years, months?

Here's what I'll tell you all. I live in a Charlotte Suburb (Fort Mill, SC.) Work in North Charlotte. WIX is one of our clients in Gaston County. Been there several times. Since they were bought by M&H, a lot of corners have been cut, less filters made in the usa, ETC. so, ymmv on these.

Here's what I'll tell you all. I live in a Charlotte Suburb (Fort Mill, SC.) Work in North Charlotte. WIX is one of our clients in Gaston County. Been there several times. Since they were bought by M&H, a lot of corners have been cut, less filters made in the usa, ETC. so, ymmv on these.
Dang hate to hear it.

I just used a new XP on my wife's car and as mentioned, the previous cap wrench used for over 12 years, no longer fit. I just so happened to have another one that does fit.

The point is you might be spending more for OE and getting nothing for it.
Usually GM OE isn't more expensive--but one item on my wife's car that is through the roof for OE. The cabin air filter, being around $23-$25. On my Lexus I think Denso aftermarket was maybe $8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back