Wireless and stumped...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I decided to rehab the old Gateway and had a plan to get there...

First step: Get it wireless so I can do other things (like go from Vista to W7). Being 9 years old, it has no wireless card. No big deal, just will add one. Borrowed an older one from my dad-no dice. Would just fail to install. So, grabbed one off of ebay-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-802-11n-300Mbps-USB-WIFI-Wireless-Adapter-Laptop-Desktop-w-Antenna-/320961756367?hash=item4abacfbccf:g:Q7AAAOSwBt5ZEoyF

Didn't want to install the first time, but the second time it installed the drivers! Still, no dice...

Long story short, it can't find it. I've tried different ways to find it, but nothing shows up under the hardware. While I realize this is windows Vista and everything for it is hard, I've never had this issue with other types of windows. Tried a few things suggested on the internet, nothing so far....

Now this has always had internet "plugged" in- so I'm not sure if this could have been part of the issue.

Also has me wondering if something in Vista is so screwed up that it maybe I might have to do something else......

Looking for some ideas....the more the better!

Does the wireless adapter work in another computer?

Have you tried different USB ports?

Does the machine in which it does not work with support USB 2.0? It would have to be really old.

Last edited:
I haven't had success with those USB wireless cards unless you are right next to the router. I would go with a real internal card if possible.

Easy mode Diagnosis. Make a linux live DVD(or usb stick).. if the wifi dongle works with it.. then nothing wrong with the hardware.

Originally Posted By: TheOilWizard
Does the wireless adapter work in another computer?

Have you tried different USB ports?

Does the machine in which it does not work with support USB 2.0? It would have to be really old.

1-Yes-it works

2-Yes

3- Machine was built in early 2008.....

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
I haven't had success with those USB wireless cards unless you are right next to the router. I would go with a real internal card if possible.

Maybe if it was internal the @3&#@ computer might find that.....
frown.gif

I think it's time for a new computer. Almost 10 yr old. You probably have a slow processor, maybe only 32 bit, low amount of RAM. You want to be in Win 7 or Win 10.

You might be able to find something called a "gaming adapter" which has an antenna on one end and a RJ45 port on the other. Acts as a receiver/ translator for some 15 year old playstation/xbox/whatever. But those are a (major?) hassle to set up.

Really old laptops used a wireless card, which slid in a port on the side, sometimes with external antenna. If you can find one with the drivers included, that would be the way to go. My ancient Windows 2000 laptop had one.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Really old laptops used a wireless card, which slid in a port on the side, sometimes with external antenna. If you can find one with the drivers included, that would be the way to go. My ancient Windows 2000 laptop had one.

PCMCIA - slot.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think it's time for a new computer. Almost 10 yr old. You probably have a slow processor, maybe only 32 bit, low amount of RAM. You want to be in Win 7 or Win 10.
This ^ . I don't like tossing things out either, but sometimes you have to face facts. Plenty of good computers around at good prices...check the refurbs on Amazon. I recently bought a dual core HP referb for a good price. From what I have learned, many are simply off lease units which never had any problems. The one I obtained came with 7 and the free upgrade to 10.

Last edited:
yep that is generic garbage.

You can buy a refurb computer for $79 with an internal wifi, and you already spent $10 on a usb dongle that does not work.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Could be right, but trying to go out with a fight...Was a good gaming rig back in the day- Intel quad core, 4GB of ram, and Vista 64 bit...

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You bought some random and likely poorly supported piece of garbage, I'm not surprised it doesn't work. The easiest solution here is to get something that will be properly supported.

I'm not a big D-Link fan, but generally they have decent drivers. Here's something in the same price range:

https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-D...d-link+wireless

Just get that.

Thinking you are right a the garbage part....just wish it would "find" the installed stuff....

Tried again to install the ol' linksy wireless stick....still refuses to install the drivers....says the data is invalid.....ugh....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Tried again to install the ol' linksy wireless stick....still refuses to install the drivers....says the data is invalid.....ugh....

Hmm...I wonder if it's a plug-in-play issue.

Open up your device manager again then expand "System devices". Double click on "Plug-in-play..." to see if it's enabled. While there also update the driver.

Note: if system devices does not appear it might be hidden. Go to view and select the hidden devices option if available. I've never used Vista

Hope that works.

I'd have to echo the concerns of others regarding Vista.

If you can boot some flavor of a Linux live CD/DVD and see if the card works there, you can rule out a problem with the card.

I.E. if it works with Linux, it just might not play well with Vista.

Wireless support on Vista was sketchy. We had a Vista machine that gave me all sorts of fits trying to do WiFi

Try a newer OS

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I'd have to echo the concerns of others regarding Vista.

If you can boot some flavor of a Linux live CD/DVD and see if the card works there, you can rule out a problem with the card.

I.E. if it works with Linux, it just might not play well with Vista.

Wireless support on Vista was sketchy. We had a Vista machine that gave me all sorts of fits trying to do WiFi

Try a newer OS

Yeah, thinking that Vista is the problem....

Funny you say that-I was hoping to get wifi so I could upgrade it to 7-my hope was to try to leave everything on the computer as there was some things that I would lose if it just did a clean install of windows. Might still have the option to"plug it " back in, so we will see....

Pretty sure the computer itself should be fine-as I see it still has the specs to run windows 10 even after almost 9 years old!(old gateway fx gamer-high end intel core quad,4GB ram, 640GB hard drive)

Though I think a fresh install of anything newer than vista would make this a happy computer....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back