Winter tires with walnut shells

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering trying Toyo's winter tire (Observe GO-2 Plus) tires with Microbits. Does anyone have any experience with these? Below is a statement describing these tires:

Toyo incorporated Microbit Technology, an exclusive Toyo production technique of embedding tens of thousands of walnut shell microbits in the Observe tread for improved traction. As the tread rolls over ice and snow, the microbits dig in.

I believe snow tire compounds with stuff like sawdust blended in were in use about 50 years ago. The theory was that, as the tire wore, the sawdust would fall out, creating very small holes and sipes to get additional grip.

What's old often becomes new again.

Around here the dern tree squirrels would likely nibble those poor tires to shreds.

I guess.

Maybe.

Folks I know with those tires say that they work well, but are kind'a pricey. Also consider Bridgestone, Nokian, Dunlop, and Kumho winter tires. I have Bridgestone, Dunlop, and Kumho in the family fleet, and like them all very much. The newer Bridgestones don't wear as fast on dry pavement as the original Blizzak tires did.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back