Winshield cleaning with news paper

Status
Not open for further replies.
This does a great job. But I notice its problem when i have to turn my heat on to defogging my windshield. If you cleaned your windshield with paper from inside you may notice this also. Cleaning it with paper leaves very thin layer of lints you barely can see. upon turning heat on for saveral days what i have seen is look like my winshield burnt up or something.

What's wrong with simply using paper towels with an ammonia based glass cleaner (eg. Windex)??

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
What's wrong with simply using paper towels with an ammonia based glass cleaner (eg. Windex)??

It's old school and not as effective as other methods. Paper towels leave lint and glue residue. Windex usually doesn't cut it for auto glass, especially trying to remove offgassing haze from the interior glass.

If you're happy with the results, by all means keep using paper towels and Windex. If you're looking for better performance, it's out there. Exactly like motor oils.

I would go with Stoners Invisible Glass and a microfiber towel. No streaks and it cleans much better than Windex and is safe for tint.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:

Newspaper stock is a tad more abrasive and holds up well when wet. It's great for the exterior side of windows. Cuts through bird poop and inattentive insects like a hot knife through butter.

By the way, NEVER use ANY paper-based product to polish ANY uncoated plastic surface - especially when dry. Paper is wood fiber and wood fiber is the kiss of death even on tough polycarbonates. Check with any eye-glass optician if you don't believe this advice. Those "Sight-Saver" (tm) silicone treated eyeglass tissues that claim to be safe for plastic? Right - the best thing for the ophthalmic industry since Benjamin Franklin invented bifocals.

[ October 02, 2003, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

This was actually a good way to polish windshields long time ago. The ink in newsprint was a fine abrasive which helped optical clarity. Now printers have switched to soy-based ink which doesn't have the abrasive propreties of older newsprint. Remember when your fingers got black reading the newspaper?... not any more!

quote:

Originally posted by Scott P:
I would go with Stoners Invisible Glass and a microfiber towel. No streaks and it cleans much better than Windex and is safe for tint.

I have been using stoners Invisible Glass for a quite a while now but as its instructions says I have been using papers to wipe it out. And thats exectly where i came to know of this problem with paper. I am sure this products does a great job regardless of either used with terry towel or paper. But with paper that burnt look windshield and with terry towel, white visible lints that does not come off easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back