Wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got some of my favourite red wine the other day - free!!! A couple a Aussie Penfolds...a '06 shiraz and a '08 cab sav. Only wine better than cheap wine is free wine.

I went to a wine festival over the summer and ended up bringing back 2 very mixed cases plus a few random bottles. It was all regional wine made no more than 2 hours away from me, and 75% of it was excellent. We split a random bottle with the neighbors the other night, and we all enjoyed it quite a lot. I need to get back to a local winery along Keuka Lake and buy a case of their wine. It's about the best I've ever tasted, and it's $8-9 a bottle. I love living in wine country!

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I wonder what your take is as to why this has come about.

Simple. It's competition.

Back in the Reagan days there were a very limited number of local wineries and, if wine drinkers wanted choice they had to go to a high end wine store.

Today there are probably 10+ wineries within 50 miles of my home, including the one in which I'm a part owner. There's a lot of competition, which drives down prices not only from local wineries, but also for the larger wineries that sell nationwide. The local wineries are also becoming very innovative and we do a lot of on site events which helps to promote our own brand and local wineries in general.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
I had some Moscato and it was delicious
smile.gif
Then I had some other dark red wine that was extremely "bitter" - it wasn't a "bottom shelf" nor a "top shelf" wine.....started with an "S" if I recall; Shiraz or something LOL. I got it simply because it "sounded" like it may taste good
smile.gif

Chardonnay was "OK"

Moscato is my most favorite, well, tied with Sangria
smile.gif

Based on my list here....what should I try next? Keep in mind, my typical retailer is Walmart lol....they actually got a fairly decent wine selection at my store.....

You won't get a good selection at Wal-Mart. Find either a local winery or a good quality wine store and tell them what you prefer and they can guide your selections. There are some outstanding reds that lean toward slightly sweet, like an Italian Primivito that might be a good fit.

Learning to like the big dry reds is something that takes a little training. I much prefer a bold Barolo, especially a reserva. There's nothing better than sitting on the deck watching the sun go down with a glass of wine.

Originally Posted By: buster
http://www.snooth.com/wine/jersey-devil-forte/?t=reviews

Picked this up the other day. Potent. 19.5%.

Jersey power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's fortified-while it still falls within the wine family not many "real" wine enthusiasts consider it a real wine. The alcohol content comes from the brandy, and in every fortified wine that I've had the depth of the wine's flavor is masked by whatever is used to fortify the product.

Pop_Rivit,

How about telling us about your winery's wines so that we can acquire and try some???

I am this day working at my parent's winery in the Sierra foothills, getting ready for late crush of Zinfandel and Cab Sauv. I expected crush to start last Monday, but equipment difficulties delayed it.

We start with some of the best grapes in the world here (low yield, stressed plants, etc.) that have produced some gold and even double gold wines in County and California State competitions. We've also produced undrinkable swill.

I've learned that winemaking has to start with great grapes (California costal region, and the Sierra foothills regions come to mind), proper techniques and supplies, and care. If you start with poor central valley grapes, you'll never end up with a decent wine. Even if you start with the best grapes, there are 100 things you can mess up to end up with swill.

I have also learned how to make a small fortune in the winemaking business. Start with a large one. Pop Rivit, I hope your investment doesn't follow that path.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
I have also learned how to make a small fortune in the winemaking business. Start with a large one.

lol.gif
That's brilliant.

Picked up a bottle of 2011 Gascon Malbec from the local grocery store on a whim. One of the best malbec variety I've had the opportunity to try, at least to my untrained pallet.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I like Zinfandel and Pinot Noir. Most of my local wineries make a Zinfandel, it's sort of a local specialty.
I'm a peasant, abstract art eludes me and I like "white zin" .

With warmer weather coming I'll probably gravitate more towards zins and pinot noirs. I've actually been enjoying some of the red blends too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back