Windshield suction cup mounts

I'm trying to figure out how to mount this thing (it's a mount for a Scan Gauge 3). It's a suction cup, and it has a plastic film on it and if I peel it off the rubber behind it is super sticky. Am I supposed to leave the film on? It's already kind of wrinkly but maybe that doesn't matter. On the other hand, I don't think the sticky rubber will work correctly when I tighten down the suction lever. Conveniently, it didn't come with instructions. Does anyone know how these are supposed to be mounted?

UIsl9a.jpg

You'll have to take the plastic off. The suction cup isn't supposed to be sticky per se but it should have quite a bit of friction so maybe that's why it feels sticky.

It's definitely sticky..... At least for now. Maybe if I peel the plastic off it will become less so.

Thanks!

I have seen them be sticky as they double as/more intended as being used on a dash.

Sticky is normal. How sticky probably varies by the manufacturer. Instructions I had with one said if they lose their stickiness, is to run warm water over them and kinda rub it in a little.

I tested it by peeling off just a little, and touching what was underneath.

But now I've peeled it all off, and it's remaining sticky. That's probably how it's supposed to be. Not being a GPS, GoPro or smartphone user, I've never had to mount one of these things before.... Being how it came without instructions, they must figure everyone already knows how to mount them.

It's definitely sticky..... At least for now. Maybe if I peel the plastic off it will become less so.

Thanks!
It's probably the same sticky material they use for friction surface mounts. The sticky suction cup makes probably a better seal than a less sticky suction cup. The sticky material will over time become less sticky due to dust and dirt getting attracted. You can restore the stickiness by washing the mount with warm water with a drop of dish soap added, followed by rinsing well, and by finally air-drying.

Back