Windshield rust = scrap the whole vehicle?

Rust along the roof and passenger side A pillar. Driver side and bottom were rust free. The windshield was the original, OEM, put in nearly 20 years ago. It's a known issue with these years of vans due to how water is allowed to leak in, and it might also have something to do with Toyota not installing them with enough urethane. Not sure.
I see.. pretty unfortunate. But also pretty impressive the windshield didn't require change in almost 20 year.

Reactions: JTK
Some of you need to relax. He did it, it’s done. He doesn‘t need your approval to take a calculated risk. I would have done the same thing if the place was a few miles away.
What's funny, is that the law requires a windshield unless you have eye protection. That's pretty clearly stated in the wording, which has to be taken in literal sequence like a computer algorithm. Is it stupid to drive without a windshield, especially in a rainy climate? Yes. LOL Not illegal here though. I live near a 4x4 off-road park and see plenty of guys driving around town in their beaters with no doors or windshields.

I literally passed by two state troopers who dead-arse looked right in the eyes and didn't even pull me over. I also was advised by two reputable glass shops that driving with eye protection and windshield wipers is legal. I also posted a link to an article where they contacted a police officer about it, and the only contention was over having wipers installed when a windshield is not in there. Nothing about driving without a windshield.

In the end, regardless if actually illegal in my state, driving solo without a windshield only affects the safety of the person driving. There are better things to direct ones outrage over. LOL

Why on Earth would windshield wipers be required without a windshield?
Because of the way the law was written, it does not have a separate condition for allowing windshields to be missing along with the wipers. The only additional condition is that one must have eye/face protection.

So, an officer could technically be a jerk and write a ticket for no wipers even though no windshield is present. In actual practice, I doubt they would make an issue of it. There are countless laws like that which are no enforced. I have an old trailer hitch ball rusted onto my truck bumper. Technically it is illegal to drive with it there because it blocks part of the license plate. I was pulled over for it once, and the officer pretty bluntly explained that he was using it as an excuse to pull me over and not something of any legit concern. We have lots of immigrants driving old Toyota pickups around our area without insurance or licenses, so he pulls over trucks like mine for any sort of infraction as a foot in the door to investigate more serious stuff. He never gave me a ticket and acknowledged the fact that I basically laughed in his face out loud when he told my why I was pulled over. haha

Back