Windshield replacement 2013 Honda Civic ?

I need to have the cracked windshield on my 2013 Honda Civic LX 4 dr sedan. This will be an out of pocket repair. The quote I got from a reputable independent auto glass company who used several years ago for another car is - $240 standard glass, $290 acoustic for mobile service with tax. The Safelite price after discount code is approximately 15% more.

The label on the existing windshield shows that it is acoustic glass but the independent glass guy said he has rarely used an acoustic windshield on this model Honda Civic. Is it worth paying the extra for the acoustic glass for the windshield on this car ?

- Thanks

My daughter(Civic in my signature) had a 2015 Civic LX 4 dr sd (which recently got totaled in OCT). And is the exact same car as your 2013 except that 2014-15 have a CVT......She now has the 2022 Civic LX in my signature that she was able to get the week of Thanksgiving, 2021.

In early 2020, she too had the windshield in her 2015 Civic replaced at Safelite in PA, with a PILKINGTON "LAMINATED" windshield.
Believe me, you'll want the "LAMINATED" windshield since your 2013 is the 1st year for the LAMINATED windshield after the 2012 redesign Civic, which didn't have it and that whole 2012 Civic got a lot of FLAK from the PRESS for feeling like a POS.

This LAMINATED Glass really helps quiets down the interior of the Civic, plus all of the other refinements that HONDA did for the 2013 Civic to make the it feel more like a HONDA rather than a POS. 2013-15 got a bunch of refinements that the 2012 didn't have from the start of its redesign.

Get the LAMINATED glass, you won't be sorry. If you can, get the PILKINGTON as they make lots of OE glass for Mfg's. And I can attest to this in her 2015 as this is an even quieter car than her 2022. Not that the 2022 is loud but the 2013-15 is even quieter in my opinion...DO IT RIGHT!

If you have any questions about the glass or even the car, please PM me,

CB

Last edited:
^^^You are correct Sir!(Phil Hartman/SNL) 😁
I believe that Honda and others are using a more acoustic laminated glass. So, I left out the word "ACOUSTIC".
For example, the 2013 Civic got new acoustic laminated(or just thicker) glass
at 2:20 in the video:

My 2015 Nissan Altima in my sig does not have this option. And Nissan installed it for the 2016 Altima refresh.
at just :40sec in the video:

Last edited:
How do you identify if it's acoustic or not ? I know the windshield in our '12 Civic was replaced but don't know what they put in. Then again, no point checking and possibly being disappointed.... I ain't going to replace it if it's non-acoustic.

Reactions: JTK
How do you identify if it's acoustic or not ? I know the windshield in our '12 Civic was replaced but don't know what they put in. Then again, no point checking and possibly being disappointed.... I ain't going to replace it if it's non-acoustic.
The cracked factory windshield on my 2013 Honda Civic has the word Acoustic at the bottom of the label located at the lower left corner.

Also see this link- https://bettersoundproofing.com/how-to-tell-if-you-have-acoustic-windshield/

Last edited:
When my daughter was having her ‘15 Civic windshield replaced by Safelite, I had her ask them…
Q-1) which brand are they using?
Q-2) is it the acoustic glass?

A-1) Safelite said they use mostly Pilkington, and some certain other brands when Pilkington isn’t available… or OE.
A-2) They always try to use(carry in stock) the better/optional glass for that vehicle.
But they also said to always ask.

When my daughter was having her ‘15 Civic windshield replaced by Safelite, I had her ask them…

A-1) Safelite said they use mostly Pilkington, and some certain other brands when Pilkington isn’t available… or OE.
A-2) They always try to use(carry in stock) the better/optional glass for that vehicle.
Safelite is now in bed with Fuayo since they gave up making their own glass, so I don't know how accurate that info about Pilkington is.

Safelite will use Pilkington, Fuyao or PGW(LKQ, mostly crappy XYG glass) depending on what’s in stock. Safelite owns their own glass wholesale warehouse(Service Autoglass) - that guy working out of his truck or a local shop will get their glass from Mygrant in many cases.

All cars now use a acoustic windshield - some aftermarket will mark it(Pilkington and remarked PGW made by PPG/Vitro, as well as Saint-Gobain). FYG doesn’t mark acoustic.

Look for these DOT codes -
DOT 15, 177, 404, 682 - Pilkington
DOT 18, 46, 904 - PPG/PGW, now Vitro US/Canada/Mexico
DOT 459, 1038 - FYG, 459 is China, 1038 is Fuyao Ohio
DOT 563 - XYG and PGW-branded LKQ, avoid if possible.

Caveat emptor - some OEM glass is having optical distortion issues as of late. Even Pilkington’s having issues with OEM glass these days.

Last edited:
Depends on how long you want to keep the car?
If you are going to keep it for at least 5 years, then replace with the expensive which is probably similar quality than what is in there now.

Ok. I will get the acoustic glass. I will use the independent company since the price is lower than Safelite and my previous experience with them was good. - Thanks

Back