Windshield Protection Options

I use my car (Lexus ES 350 F-Sport) for a good amount of highway driving. Typically when I get a rock chip, I promptly repair it with the Permatex Bullseye repair kit, and that seems to work quite well for me. But I have noticed a lot of pitting on it. I called around to see how much a replacement costs, and nearly had a heart attack! They want around $1800 CAD, because of a bunch of sensors, camera calibrations and the fact it is an acoustic windshield. My question to you is: What do you recommend to protect the windshield to extend it life as long as possible? I have heard of the following, but never tried them… yet:

1. Windshield protection film. Pro: kinda like 3M or Xpel for your windshield. Con: expensive, only 1 yr warranty and may haze after 1-2 yrs, really difficult to install correctly and can’t seem to buy the product to diy it.

2. Coatings like Supra Clear Armour. Pro: less expensive, might be able to diy. Potential Con: would it actually prevent pitting and chips? Would it fill in existing pitting?

Would love to hear what you folks have personal experience using and would recommend.

I use my car (Lexus ES 350 F-Sport) for a good amount of highway driving. Typically when I get a rock chip, I promptly repair it with the Permatex Bullseye repair kit, and that seems to work quite well for me. But I have noticed a lot of pitting on it. I called around to see how much a replacement costs, and nearly had a heart attack! They want around $1800 CAD, because of a bunch of sensors, camera calibrations and the fact it is an acoustic windshield. My question to you is: What do you recommend to protect the windshield to extend it life as long as possible? I have heard of the following, but never tried them… yet:

1. Windshield protection film. Pro: kinda like 3M or Xpel for your windshield. Con: expensive, only 1 yr warranty and may haze after 1-2 yrs, really difficult to install correctly and can’t seem to buy the product to diy it.

2. Coatings like Supra Clear Armour. Pro: less expensive, might be able to diy. Potential Con: would it actually prevent pitting and chips? Would it fill in existing pitting?

Would love to hear what you folks have personal experience using and would recommend.
Same here. I drive a work van and last week I received two rocks to my windshield. I wish there was a better way to protect the windshield.
Ohhh... forgot to mention - this was three days after I had a brand new windshield installed! ^$&^#%.

A bud guard on the front hood may help a little..Pushes the wind and debris up a bit and helps to fly over the windshield..Other than that not much you can do...You will see over time when you drive into the sun numerous pits in the windshield...kind of like sandblasting it...It happens to everyone...

A bit different but my insurance company has unlimited repair or replacement coverage for $3 extra a month... So $36 a year and on a German VW I went with it. Progressive is the insurance.

A bug deflector on the hood edge is about it. Mine has saved me several impacts. Don't follow closely behind other vehicles to avoid flying rocks. All I got.

Paco

Windshield protection films have traditionally been difficult to deal with, considering a 1 year lifespan and so on. And expensive enough over time (remember, they are difficult to remove) to consider simply replacing a windshield when it finally is beyond personal limits. Living in Florida, the bright afternoon sun does highlight a chipped windshield. I am known for simply paying for a replacement when I can't stand it anymore.

Protecting a $1600 windshield with a $750 film every year or two just seems silly.

A bit different but my insurance company has unlimited repair or replacement coverage for $3 extra a month... So $36 a year and on a German VW I went with it. Progressive is the insurance.
Nice! When I had my Jetta I quickly fell into the habit of replacing it every 2 years. It pitted that quickly. [NH uses a lot of sand on the roads and I drove 30-35k per year.]

When my windshield gets bad.. and needs to be replaced, I may get this:

And they have a ceramic version for heat rejection.

Back