Windows Update Strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today Windows Update installed 3 recommended updates on HP 6005 Pro SFF running Windows 7 Pro. After update computer would not recognize hard drive. I was able to go into boot menu and choose hard drive and was able to boot and restore computer prior to Windows Update. I did set Windows Update to tell me when there are updates and to not download or install.

Last month I installed a Windows Update for the AMD Controller if IIRC. Computer would only work in safe mode. After system restore I made sure that update was set to hidden.

This is the 3rd computer I have tried for the lady of the house after she allowed someone to remote into her computer. This computer is working great for her needs. Any guidance on keeping it trouble free are appreciated. What Windows Updates do I really need to install? I want this to go till Windows 7 is no longer supported.

I disable the Windows Update Service and do it periodically every couple of months. I have found so many updates being pushed down that have problems that I have to go and fix or chase a fix only to find out Microsoft changed the update or released another update to fix the first one some time later after realizing the problem.

It seems to be really bad in Windows 10 with this kind of nonsense. I also don't like that I can't choose not to automatically restart in non-pro versions of windows 10 and only choose a time to restart. Disabling the windows update service fixes this problem as well.

Just don't forget to re-enable and run updates from time to time.

Last edited:
You only need the important updates which are security fixes.

I uncheck the box "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" and never install the recommended updates.

I keep the "Give me updates for Microsoft products" box checked because it keeps Microsoft Office up to date with security fixes as well.

I find the recommended updates not applicable to daily computer use. They are usually fixes for specialty software I will never use. I believe driver updates are also considered recommended updates, so if you keep it unchecked Windows Update shouldn't install things like the AMD controller.

I use Windows 10 Pro now so I switched to the corporate update channel and also defer updates. The check but don't install option is also available on Pro through group services.

Unfortunately on Windows 10 Home the only way to control it is to disable the service like you said.

I had problems with broken day 0 updates by Microsoft was well, especially on Windows 7. In Windows 7 I never check for updates on Tuesday (when the updates are released) and wait until the weekend to update. Hopefully by then Microsoft fixes the update.

Yeah I advise folks to get Pro where possible. So stupid that the feature is there but greyed out because of Microsoft Nanny-ism.

The updates installed today were KB4343900, KB4345590, and KB88830 or Security Quality Rollup Windows 7, Security .Net Framework Quality Rollup, and Malicious Software tool. That last one seems like I should install. Not sure how useful the other ones would be? By Quality does Microsoft mean they do a good job of messing up your computer?
whistle.gif

SteveC welcome back! I am seeing what you are talking about. I have Windows 10 home and Windows 10 Pro on other computers. The HP 6005 also has a Windows 10 license so it needed I could install it. I am afraid it will be less reliable than 7. I ran Linux for years on this computer and it was trouble free.

The SATA controller install was an error on my part. I thought Microsoft could be trusted and I installed it. Boy was I wrong.

I haven't had any stability issues since following my update approach of when I choose every couple of months. Prior to that the forced updates were problematic and lead to a bunch of random issues until they would fix things in subsequent updates etc. Just FWIW.

Pro is definitely the way to go in Win 10 though. Plus the networking features are better anyway.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
The updates installed today were KB4343900, KB4345590, and KB88830 or Security Quality Rollup Windows 7, Security .Net Framework Quality Rollup, and Malicious Software tool.

I just installed those updates yesterday on a Windows 7 machine. No problems seen after re-boot.

I have a simple solution. Since Microsoft can no longer ship code that works and the Windows 7 PC is only really used for games, I just never install 'updates'.

The Windows 10 PC gets forced updates whenever it's connected to the Internet, but it's only really used for scanning and iTunes, so we won't die when Microsoft inevitably kill it.

The problem is she depends on the computer a lot. My solution for myself was just using Linux until work recently upgraded ADP. Now I have to run Windows to view my timesheet and pretty soon all paperwork will be done on 10. So I need to know how to survive Windows, like it or not.
smile.gif

After my support for 8.1 ends, I'm really considering a Macbook, and I hope they fix the "only usb C 3.1 thunderbolt 3 total crap" connector before then!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I disable the Windows Update Service and do it periodically every couple of months. I have found so many updates being pushed down that have problems that I have to go and fix or chase a fix only to find out Microsoft changed the update or released another update to fix the first one some time later after realizing the problem.

It seems to be really bad in Windows 10 with this kind of nonsense. I also don't like that I can't choose not to automatically restart in non-pro versions of windows 10 and only choose a time to restart. Disabling the windows update service fixes this problem as well.

Just don't forget to re-enable and run updates from time to time.

I also recommend manual updates.

I clicked the option for pay per byte connection (which is not true) on my home W10 PC so it would not update automatically...this after a major update left it mostly unusable and I had to do a restore. I put that update off for several months until there was a serious security concern and the update worked fine at that point.
An automatic update started on my daughter's laptop at school while she was working on homework and then the battery died before she had a chance to plug it in. Took a couple of days until some friends of hers were able to help her get it to boot again, even one of her CS professors had no luck with it.

The July (and into this month) Windows updates bricked a lot of PC's. Mine included. My work IT administrator repaired a few of ours and turned off the updates for three months. One of the steps was merely moving the connection to "metered". You can find some articles online on how to delay any updates. It's helped.

I was able install 2 of the 3 updates without issue this morning. I skipped the other update since it did not seem to apply. My computer is using a Athlon processor and by process of elimination this update was the problem. Then made that update hidden.

August 14, 2018—KB4343900 (Monthly Rollup)

I will look up details before I install any updates in the future.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
The July (and into this month) Windows updates bricked a lot of PC's. Mine included. My work IT administrator repaired a few of ours and turned off the updates for three months. One of the steps was merely moving the connection to "metered". You can find some articles online on how to delay any updates. It's helped.

Thanks! That gives me a strategy for now and when all my computers are running 10.

I did find some info on metered updates:

Scheduling Windows 10 Updates on metered internet connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back