Windows Explorer Substitutes?

Does anyone here use an Explorer substitute? Just to be clear, I'm not talking about a web browser, but a file explorer for the hard drive.

I used to use a few (like xplorer2 and cubic explorer), but I think with Windows 7, I switched back to just using Windows' native Explorer client. I am sure there has been some new additions to the market in the last few years, and I want to try one or two.

Any recommendations?

Does anyone here use an Explorer substitute? Just to be clear, I'm not talking about a web browser, but a file explorer for the hard drive.

I used to use a few (like xplorer2 and cubic explorer), but I think with Windows 7, I switched back to just using Windows' native Explorer client. I am sure there has been some new additions to the market in the last few years, and I want to try one or two.

Any recommendations?
What’s wrong with the normal one?

I've honestly never considered such a thing on W10. Sub'd to see what others recommend.

If your inquiry consists of a better way to search using file explorer, I usually bypass the explorer search function entirely by simply pressing the Windows button and typing what I'm looking for. 99% of the time it finds what I'm looking for. If I'm looking for a specific file within a folder, I find FE to work just fine.

I gave up on windows search a long time ago. I use Copernic for that. They went to a subscription model, but I still have on older installed version that finds stuff that Windows evidently cannot.

I like opening up Explorer to my documents partition, not sure why that is a problem for Explorer instead of the My Computer or My PC or whatever its called. After using explorer substitutes so long, I guess I'm just used to more customization than the default client gives me.

I've honestly never considered such a thing on W10. Sub'd to see what others recommend.

If your inquiry consists of a better way to search using file explorer, I usually bypass the explorer search function entirely by simply pressing the Windows button and typing what I'm looking for. 99% of the time it finds what I'm looking for. If I'm looking for a specific file within a folder, I find FE to work just fine.

I gave up on windows search a long time ago. I use Copernic for that. They went to a subscription model, but I still have on older installed version that finds stuff that Windows evidently cannot.

I like opening up Explorer to my documents partition, not sure why that is a problem for Explorer instead of the My Computer or My PC or whatever its called. After using explorer substitutes so long, I guess I'm just used to more customization than the default client gives me.

What happens when you hit the windows button and start typing? Does it find what you're looking for then?

1625367295294.jpg

Windows search has gotten better, but it still isn't up to par with Copernic. When Google Desktop Search came out, that was like bread from heaven for me. It was eons better than what Windows was doing at the time. Really hated seeing that product go out of development, but Google couldn't find a way to monetize that, so there you go....

Yea, when people complain they can't find something, it reminds me of the Vista and earlier days.

What is the reason you want to use alternative? Does your windows explorer take up too much resources or is it not visually appealing?

I'm finding that even after a RAM upgrade to 16 gigs, I get an hourglass when trying to access the context menu for a given file, and it stays there for 10 seconds or so, sometimes even longer. Also, I like to access my D partition immediately when clicking on explorer, i've done it in the past, but I suppose an update removed that option so when I click on the icon in my taskbar, I go to My PC.

Minor points, I know, compared to other folks' computer issues, but because my work is done on my computer, little things like this can annoy me pretty easily, when I know there are other options out there.

What is the reason you want to use alternative? Does your windows explorer take up too much resources or is it not visually appealing?

I'm finding that even after a RAM upgrade to 16 gigs, I get an hourglass when trying to access the context menu for a given file, and it stays there for 10 seconds or so, sometimes even longer. Also, I like to access my D partition immediately when clicking on explorer, i've done it in the past, but I suppose an update removed that option so when I click on the icon in my taskbar, I go to My PC.

Minor points, I know, compared to other folks' computer issues, but because my work is done on my computer, little things like this can annoy me pretty easily, when I know there are other options out there.
This is unusual, unless you have D being spin down on a mechanical drive and need to spin up. Check if you have a lot of bloatware installed on your PC, explorer isn't the problem here.

Any recommendations?
Windows 11 has dramatically simplified the toolbar of File Explorer. I haven't had much time to play with it yet, but the thing has a new look, with rounded corners, updated icons, and different right-click menu choices. I'll probably mess with it later this week.

My current laptop isn't ready yet--no TPM. So I'm on 10 until I get a new one.

Windows 11 has dramatically simplified the toolbar of File Explorer. I haven't had much time to play with it yet, but the thing has a new look, with rounded corners, updated icons, and different right-click menu choices. I'll probably mess with it later this week.

Back