Windows 7 Use After Support Ends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by KrisZ
But if you go through all the data tracking settings, it simply crazy, just like android. Then you add updates that can do all sorts of weird stuff to your system and it's not something I want for my main computer.

That's one of my biggest gripe with Win10. Every tracking thing is turned on in the beginning and it's really dumb, especially that "let your apps automatically share and sync info with wireless devices that don't explicitly pair with your PC, tablet, or phone."

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
With all of the updates on Win7.....

You really don't understand why updates are necessary, do you ? Updates primarily focus on patching an exploit or flaw that's been found. An exploit that's found next week will require an update from Microsoft.

If you choose to continue running Windows 7, I'd advise disconnecting it from the internet. You'll be safe in that case.

If you are just doing web browsing and not any personal tasks, there's not much danger. I still use an XP machine for web browsing and nothin's happened yet.

Last edited:
I have W7 on my home computer and W10 on my company laptop. I've been happy with W10 and would like to upgrade my home computer to W10.

I nor my company will be on Windows 7 when it's EOL comes. I have two more machines to upgrade to Win10 but other than that it's upgrade or get left behind.

Originally Posted by Lubener
If you are just doing web browsing and not any personal tasks, there's not much danger. I still use an XP machine for web browsing and nothin's happened yet.

You'd be surprised with about how many port scans are ran.

You really don't understand why updates are necessary, do you ? Updates primarily focus on patching an exploit or flaw that's been found. An exploit that's found next week will require an update from Microsoft.

If you choose to continue running Windows 7, I'd advise disconnecting it from the internet. You'll be safe in that case.

You are pretty much 100% wrong. How do you think exploits get on to your machine ? This isn't 1993 where they're spread by people sharing floppy disks. Exploits come from "web browsing" using an OS and/or programs, i.e. Internet Explorer, that are full of holes that will never be patched.

You are pretty much 100% wrong. How do you think exploits get on to your machine ? This isn't 1993 where they're spread by people sharing floppy disks. Exploits come from "web browsing" using an OS and/or programs, i.e. Internet Explorer, that are full of holes that will never be patched.

+1: Intruders take great measures to ensure you're not aware of their intrusion; and my good lord is XP ever a mess. I think if you're considering yourself to be "free" of intrusion because you're not seeing something happen on your screen, then you may be missing the point entirely.

Lots of ATMs, retail POS such as that used in restaurants, AVL/MDT/add fare systems in public transit and countless embedded systems will still be on Windows 7 but an embedded version and Microsoft has said they will support it for the time being. I was at a restaurant for lunch the other day ago and their POS still ran Windows XP.

For the home and business/corporate user unless you are on a Microsoft EA and paid for the extra year of support(which many hospitals, banks, and other enterprise users will do), you won't see any updates unless it's for a major security issue and the anti-virus vendors will deprecate updates as well. Banks and other security-sensitive sites will block you from accessing their site via your browser's user agent. that's the information your computer gives to the host of a website or app that tells it your computer's OS and web browser and HTML renderer.

Originally Posted by nthach
Lots of ATMs, retail POS such as that used in restaurants, AVL/MDT/add fare systems in public transit and countless embedded systems will still be on Windows 7 but an embedded version and Microsoft has said they will support it for the time being. I was at a restaurant for lunch the other day ago and their POS still ran Windows XP.

Those machines may have no internet access or they are networked over a VPN. In those scenarios, they're fine. Not too many years ago, some ATMs were still running OS/2. Most people will have no idea what that even is.

Those machines may have no internet access or they are networked over a VPN. In those scenarios, they're fine. Not too many years ago, some ATMs were still running OS/2. Most people will have no idea what that even is.

That's so true!!! LOL!!

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

That's so true!!! LOL!!

Aren't the POS systems at Walmart and Costco running a variant of OS/2, given that IBM was a dominant player in POS? Toshiba did buy IBM's POS division, I'm suprised Lenovo didn't want to.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

That's so true!!! LOL!!

Aren't the POS systems at Walmart and Costco running a variant of OS/2, given that IBM was a dominant player in POS? Toshiba did buy IBM's POS division, I'm suprised Lenovo didn't want to.

Not sure, I know some of them were using QNX.

Do you remember BeOS?

I vaguely remember it - I know Maximum PC did a review on it, back when Linux was in its infancy. I think it was between 1999-2001?

I vaguely remember it - I know Maximum PC did a review on it, back when Linux was in its infancy. I think it was between 1999-2001?

Came out in 1995, but the company was bought out by Palm in 2001. It was probably most popular around 1997 when it was being shipped on a disc accompanying one of the PC mags, was a pretty cool, and incredibly lightweight OS, there's a good Wiki on it.

There's a reincarnation of the project in the form of "Haiku", based on the original, which is open-source.

[Linked Image from miro.medium.com]

Thanks for the memory, Back in the 90s I worked at a place that was computer intensive, besides all our Mac and Sun computers we had a couple BeBox computers and an older NeXT computer I used to play around with. Those were the days
smile.gif

RIP MaxPC. I enjoyed their forums until it got shut off
frown.gif

Yup, I recall playing an Internet radio stream, compiling something, using a shell and burning a CD in real time on a BeOS box long before any of these second-rate consumer systems could do anything of the sort. It was like an Irix for the rest of us back then. That OS had a soul -old guard with Mr Ruskin was designing UI and UX under Mr Gassee...

Originally Posted by Y_K
Yup, I recall playing an Internet radio stream, compiling something, using a shell and burning a CD in real time on a BeOS box long before any of these second-rate consumer systems could do anything of the sort. It was like an Irix for the rest of us back then. That OS had a soul -old guard with Mr Ruskin was designing UI and UX under Mr Gassee...

Yup! it's multitasking was amazing at the time.

Of course this was the time period where Windows 95 was "mature", 98 was such a buggy wreck that they had to come out with a "second edition" and then we got Windows ME *shudder*.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back