Window Tint Shade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to get the Prius tinted because I really dislike getting reflections through the rear windows while driving at night. The plan is to use Llumar CTX film since it is a ceramic blend that will not interfere with the smart key system. There is a site online that will sell the pre-cut kit for about $110 and I have a somewhat local installer who can install it for $70.

I am trying to decide between three different options:

1) 30% for all side roll-up windows and the rear hatch window.
2) 40% for all side roll-up windows and the rear hatch window
3) 50% for the front roll-up windows, 30% for the rear roll-up windows and the rear hatch window.

Here is a picture of the 30%:
http://www.shadestint.com/images/04-01-10_037.jpg

Here is a picture of the 40%:

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=62827&view=findpost&p=907318

Tinting the front roll-ups is technically illegal in CA, so any tint is a risk. However, like speeding, there is some "wiggle room" and some shades will obviously make your chances of getting pulled over far higher. The 30% on that C6 Corvette looks pretty good, but I don't know if it's too dark in person. The 40% on the Camaro looks significantly lighter than the 40% for some reason.

Which option do you guys think I should go with?

i got a ticket for tinted windows in Michigan a while back . There is an exception in every state but cal. for sensitivity to glare. if you wear glasses, contacts, or had lasik eye surgery like I did , you can not get an exception from any doctor and keep your tint. I had a neighbor who was an emergency room doctor and he wrote me a note. That was good enough for the cops and I keep it in my truck for the next idiot cop who pulls me over . Not allowed in cali but you can have 30% front and unlimited backs side tint. not bad and if you do get pulled over and have a note the cop may let you off out of common sense.plus the judge may let you keep it and not fine you if the tint is not excessive. if you know a doc it may be worth the trouble.

California Window Tint Law

California Tint Law Enacted: 1999
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In California, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.
Front Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.
Back Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.

OTHER CALIFORNIA RULES AND REGULATIONS
Restricted Colors The tint color(s) of RED AMBER BLUE are not legal by state law.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.
Medical Exemption State law does NOT allow medical exemptions that would allow you use special tint.

What I aways do to get the look I want yet still be legal or close enough is to go real dark on the legal windows (back doors and rear glass) then a close to legal on the front doors - the darkness from the back helps make the fronts seem darker too - yet are legal. I have also used 20 all around too with good results. The place where I get my tint done also puts a small decal on the lower edge of the driver door glass with whatever you want..for example my actual 20tint (illegal) has a sticker claiming it is 30 (legal)...

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
The place where I get my tint done also puts a small decal on the lower edge of the driver door glass with whatever you want..for example my actual 20tint (illegal) has a sticker claiming it is 30 (legal)...

Yah that'll fool em...

LOLz, Jim

Last edited:
If tinting the side windows is illegal, then I'd go with 40% on all windows. I don't like option three, I think it looks silly when a four door car has the two front door windows a lighter shade of tint than the rest.

When I get my 2012 Accent soon, one of the things I'm going to work into the deal is free window tint and I'm going with 30% on all windows (except the windshield)

Never rely on pictures off the web on Tint Percentages.

Only way to tell the difference between different levels of tint, is to have every shade in the exact same place with the same ambient light levels.

You can make 20% look like 35% easily.

Look at them in person,if you see some car on the road with tints that you look...at the gas station, parking lot just ask the guy/gal if they know the percentage if you can.

Also

Lighter interior = lighter looking tints

I have 20% with a very light interior, it looks like 35%

Last edited:
If I tinted, Id use the air blue.

I HATE rear tint. Makes it difficult to see behind you in some conditions when backing up, etc.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I HATE rear tint. Makes it difficult to see behind you in some conditions when backing up, etc.

Black tint looks better than blue in my opinion and it looks stupid with only the side windows tinted and not the rear. Just my opinion, though.

I had tint film installed on my car when I bought it, and over the years it has gone south. It's like looking through a fun house mirror or something. I'd like to get it off but it seems welded on.

Originally Posted By: Cogito
I had tint film installed on my car when I bought it, and over the years it has gone south. It's like looking through a fun house mirror or something. I'd like to get it off but it seems welded on.

Any good tint can get it off very quickly..Awhile back the tint place took off my old tint [entire car] on my 99 Grand Marquis as I wanted darker tint..As I recall it was 35 bucks extra for them to take it off at the time.

Down here after about 6 years in the blazing sun the rear window starts to get a little blurry but you can still get by without re-tintintig it for a few more years.

I have 5% all round except on windshield and I have no problem backing up. I use my mirrors to back-up.

Black tint looks better than blue in my opinion and it looks stupid with only the side windows tinted and not the rear. Just my opinion, though.

I agree with that.

For the south the darker the better..I have 15% all around but might go darker next time..I do not have any issues backing up at night..If I am in a car with no tint during the day I feel I am burning up even with the a/c blowing ice cold.

I have limo tint on mine. The only time it hinders visibility is in an unlit open area at night. It looks completely black in that situation. But if there's actually anything behind, the back-up lights provide enough illumination to see the objects, so it's a non-issue to me.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

I have 5% all round except on windshield and I have no problem backing up. I use my mirrors to back-up.

It was more of an issue parallel parking and in tight city spots.

Did we get by? Sure, using the exterior mirrors, etc. But IMO it is far less convenient and some visibility is given up. No thanks.

Have you seen that ceramic blue??!? It looks like he OE coloration on the MB e-class. Very subtle. I agree that not doing the rear may look bad, and that real blue tint would also look silly. Air blue 80% is not a bludgeon blue tint - and read the specs... Better than many more aggressive tints.

Yeah, I had completely forgotten about that Llumar Air Blue 80 stuff that I had installed on the Mazda until someone mentioned it at the car meet today.

Apparently the Air Blue 80 has a 43% solar heat rejection, which is equal to the Llumar CTX 40% film. The Air Blue 80 film has a slight blueish hue to it, and is barely noticeable, as you said. So I figure, why bother with the CTX 40% and risk getting hassled by the cops, when instead the Air Blue 80 will give you the same functional benefits and nearly eliminate your chances of being pulled over?

I think I will tint the back roll-ups and hatch with the CTX 15% film for privacy and to prevent glare from headlights during nighttime driving. The glare from the headlights at night really bother me. I will tint the front roll-up windows, the quarters and the windshield with the Air Blue 80. By covering the windshield, I think this will eliminate most of the heat source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back