window tint cleaning question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a temporary license plate duct taped to the inside of the rear window in one of my cars. From being exposed to the hot sun, some of the sticky adhesive from the tape is now on the window.
The windows are tinted so I don't know what to use to remove the adhesive without damaging the window tint.
Any suggestions?

That's a tough one. First thing I'd do is call a local tint shop and ask for suggestions. Duct tape glue residue is a lot stronger than other than other tape glues, so it may not be an easy task.

I'm hesitant to throw out suggestions for processes I haven't tried. If you find something that works, please let us know.

You can use a small amount of either dish soap or baby shampoo mixed with water, and use a really soft clean cloth like a baby diaper to clean the tint. Don't use paper towels, the fibers in them can scratch the tint. It may take some gentle scrubbing to remove the really sticky duct tape goo off the tint. But if it's a good quality film you should be able to clean it.

I know Stoner's Invisible Glass is a tint safe cleaner. I wonder if you could saturate the area with it and let it sit a minute to maybe loosen the adhesive?

I'm willing to bet WD-40 would do the trick, but it might damage the tint.

Originally Posted By: MiniTransAm
Maybe goo gone? try it on a spot you can't see too well first.

Goo-gone is awesome - but much stronger than you'd think. I agree, try it on a spot 1st because it may eay thru the tint. I bet if you did a quick rub with it and then wiped with a water soaked rag it would free up enough goo and not be damaging. May have to repeat several times, though.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: MiniTransAm
Maybe goo gone? try it on a spot you can't see too well first.

Goo-gone is awesome - but much stronger than you'd think. I agree, try it on a spot 1st because it may eay thru the tint. I bet if you did a quick rub with it and then wiped with a water soaked rag it would free up enough goo and not be damaging. May have to repeat several times, though.

I've got the small mini can of goo gone extra strength. It is very strong and states on the can it will remove the finish off of some surfaces.

Also - rubbing alcohol disolves glue residue, may try that too.

Dont use that.
I been told by several places not to use Windex because the alcohol will turn your tint purple and/or make more prone cracking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: heavyhitter

Dont use that.
I been told by several places not to use Windex because the alcohol will turn your tint purple and/or make more prone cracking.

Ammonia in windex is what causes purple tint. I would try waterless hand cleaner(Goop)although it would take several soft rags to remove the residue.

Originally Posted By: manicrodder
Originally Posted By: heavyhitter

Dont use that.

Ammonia in windex is what causes purple tint. I would try waterless hand cleaner(Goop)although it would take several soft rags to remove the residue.

You're right - its the ammonia that does the damage. Alcohol is safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back