Will spark plugs clean up by driving.

1991 Chevrolet K1500, 4.3 V6. Plugs only have a few hundred miles on them but are Fowler. Two reasons, it’s t it burns oil due to bad valve guides. Second, vehicle was running rich due to a missing emissions component. I installed an oxygen sensor spacer this evening. Vehicle runs quieter, more power, and shifts smoother. If it was running rich due to the need for the O2 spacer, will the plugs eventually clean themselves up? I plan on running a heavy dose of Seafoam as well.

An o2 spacer isn't going to help your fuel trim. Hotter plugs will burn the deposits. NGK has a website that explains their part numbering system and how to go up or down in heat range.

^ How? Being out of the exhaust mix would just slow down the rich/lean flip flop time. Though I'm not knocking OPs success, I think he has multiple issues and running a little richer is masking some of them.

The plugs are Autolite Iridium. I will probably replace the #5 plug because it was fouled the worst.

Whatever you do to the O2 sensor is not going to help your oil control problem. Try hotter plugs and heavier oil.

^ How? Being out of the exhaust mix would just slow down the rich/lean flip flop time. Though I'm not knocking OPs success, I think he has multiple issues and running a little richer is masking some of them.

They call them spacers but they are mini cats. this means the oxygen sensor sees less oxygen, and leans the mixture.

Yes they will and they will clean up fast too, if the air/fuel mixture is back to somewhat normal levels. Driving more aggressively and using higher RPM will also help. Unless your valve guide seals leak a lot and you have oil fouling and not fuel fouling.

I’ve been messing with carburetors all my life, and reading spark plugs is one of the checks you do to see if your carb is tuned correctly.

Last edited:
They call them spacers but they are mini cats. this means the oxygen sensor sees less oxygen, and leans the mixture.
O2 sensors produce a voltage signal because of the differential of the exhaust and and air in the atmosphere.

In the old days of weak points and coil ignitions, mis-tuned carburetors and leaded gasoline, spark plugs would often foul up in slow speed stop and go driving.

Getting out on the highway for a spirited run was called "An Italian Tune Up"

In the old days of weak points and coil ignitions, mis-tuned carburetors and leaded gasoline, spark plugs would often foul up in slow speed stop and go driving.

Getting out on the highway for a spirited run was called "An Italian Tune Up"
When I was a teen,back in the day,we thought the 'Italian Tune Up'fixed all issues and should be done often,and if the tires chirped,you were doing it correctly. L.O.L.

I added two cans of Seafoam and 16 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to a full tank of gas (37 gallons) to help with the cleanup. I also added a can of Bar’s Leaks Engine Seal to the oil to help control the oil leaking past the valve guides. I’ve run this far a couple of days. I pulled the number 5 spark plug and changed it out. It was supposed to be the worst. Honestly it didn’t look too bad. Not sure what it looked like before.

Swap the dead plug into a good hole and good plug back into the dead cylinder. You can use a torch to burn the carbon off the plug. In my experience most fouled plugs, other than Champions, will clean up and run fine.

I was able to get my friend to scan the vehicle with his OBD1 scanner. Vehicle isn’t getting up to temperature. Tried a new radiator cap. No help. Next up is new thermostat. Vehicle is never getting out of open loop due to not reaching temperature and short trips.

Back