Will new Land Rover Defender hold its value?

Compared to what id consider mass market cars, i.e..Camry ~340K/yr, etc. I actually didn't think they sold that many Wranglers, thx. Thinking the FJ Cruiser would probably be a better example for comparison, but I don't have much experience w/ those and we are starting to look for a Wrangler for the Offspring so I've looked at a lot of them as of late.

Yes Wranglers do have a great resale value, I am not sure why it is so good, and I say that as a fan, past and probably future owner.

I expect the Defender will have a better than average resale value based on niche and numbers. The rest of LR's line are very nice, especially the RR's, but not especially distinctive...nor are most other cars out there. Yet certain non exotic cars, Wrangler, S2000 and FJ are three off the top of my head and I am sure there are others, do seem to have flatter depreciation curves. I think the Def could be in that category; it is different, a 'lifestyle' brand (hate the term but appreciate the marketing and branding behind it) capable and useable. Time will tell.

All that said, of the SUV's I've looked at recently, it made me grin the most.
The S2000 and FJ have become a inverted depreciation curve.

Passed on the new Defender for this model year. I usually never buy a first model year vehicle anyway and a first model from Rover is what it is. Probably in 2 years though, I liked the vehicle that much.

Every new Defender I’ve seen I’ve mistaken for a Ford Bronco Sport.

I actually mistake them as the old LR3. Very similar body lines and lights. After seeing more and more of these on the road I'm starting to think the Discovery is a much better package. Atleast you get the V6 with the Disco instead of the Ford Ecoboost.

Reliability?? My previous and current RR's all had some minor issues early on, but past that they were and current one still is fine. Are they Honda/Toyotas? Heck no, but I know that.

Will they hold their value? Define hold value... I'd put them in the same value retention category as a recent Wrangler; relatively low volume sellers with a dedicated following and a corresponding flatter than average depreciation curve. The dealership also delivered two and sold one in just the time we were there, granted this area is a bit of a hotspot for them.

I used to have a 2016 RR full size Td6 55k miles and a 2011 RRS 5.0 90k miles. The 2011 EAS compressor died, I replaced it then a strut leak appeared 2 weeks later. It started to become a money pit with LCA, t-case issues so I dumped it. I believe the whole EAS system has been figured out tho. These days you can DIY the whole system(pump, valve block, lines, struts) for $2k otd using aftermarket/refurb.

The 16 never had issues other than the DEF system failing and locking the engine from restarting after 250 miles. An Italian tune up fixed the error. But outside of that I never understood why people raved about Range Rovers(or Jaguars). The fit and finish is expected from a luxury car, the ride quality is meh, infotainment is alright too. Nothing really special about it. I've had a much better experience in a Mercedes S560/63, GLE350 and GLS560 in regards of comfort.

I do like the Defender and will most likely purchase one in a year or two so long they hold their value and prove themselves. It's concerning to see 1-3 year old, Discoveries/Velars going for sub 40k. Can't imagine what they're worth in 6 years. Too bad you can't lease Defenders either...but maybe that will help keep supply low and values up.

I used to have a 2016 RR full size Td6 55k miles and a 2011 RRS 5.0 90k miles. The 2011 EAS compressor died, I replaced it then a strut leak appeared 2 weeks later. It started to become a money pit with LCA, t-case issues so I dumped it. I believe the whole EAS system has been figured out tho. These days you can DIY the whole system(pump, valve block, lines, struts) for $2k otd using aftermarket/refurb.

The 16 never had issues other than the DEF system failing and locking the engine from restarting after 250 miles. An Italian tune up fixed the error. But outside of that I never understood why people raved about Range Rovers(or Jaguars). The fit and finish is expected from a luxury car, the ride quality is meh, infotainment is alright too. Nothing really special about it. I've had a much better experience in a Mercedes S560/63, GLE350 and GLS560 in regards of comfort.

I do like the Defender and will most likely purchase one in a year or two so long they hold their value and prove themselves. It's concerning to see 1-3 year old, Discoveries/Velars going for sub 40k. Can't imagine what they're worth in 6 years. Too bad you can't lease Defenders either...but maybe that will help keep supply low and values up.
Funny, earlier today I just traded in my 2016 RR HSE w/ the TDv6. I also had a 2011 Sport and 2013 Sport. The 2016 was great and had almost no issues except for a suspension air compressor that failed early on and, lately, the same experience w/ the DEF metering including the 250mi warning. It was my favorite DD so far. I got a 2019 GLS 450 w/ under 10k miles. The '19 is the last of the traditional gauges and isn't as 'techy' as the new ones. I prefer buttons w/ tactile feedback as opposed to all touchscreens.

I really did like the Defender though, I will have one at some point....I am just not smart enough not to :D

Back