Will an Oil Sample from the Oil Filter affect results?

Hello and good morning, I was draining my oil and unable to take a sample from mid stream due to not enough clearance.. So my only option now is to take the oil from the filter, my filter is upright and full of oil. Will this "oil filter" oil affect the UOA in a negative way?
Thank you!

And never run into your situation again.

Will this "oil filter" oil affect the UOA in a negative way?
Cant say negative or positive because it would depend on which side of the filter you pulled from.

Regardless, relative to the working fluid ( which is what matters), it would be fundamentally and fatally skewed and of no value whatsoever because the filter is a collection point so it would have aggregate particles that do not represent actual fluid cleanliness.

Hello and good morning, I was draining my oil and unable to take a sample from mid stream due to not enough clearance.. So my only option now is to take the oil from the filter, my filter is upright and full of oil. Will this "oil filter" oil affect the UOA in a negative way?
Thank you!
Once you tilt the filter to get enough for a sample the standing oil and the trapped oil will mix resulting in a skewed sampling.

Thank you!

I take the sample for most of my vehicle UOA's from the drain pan. I use a suction pump and place the hose in the middle of the pan. of course the drain pan is cleaned before and after the oil change...

Another option for next time is to put the hose of the suction pump down the dipstick tube and into the oil pan before draining...

Just my $0.02

If you don’t have clearance, is it because the car is very low lying to the ground? Just jack up one of the front corners when you start the oil change get your sample and then lower it.

Not very many miles on this sample but I had oil from the pan and filter analyzed after my first track day after a total rebuild on my Mustang. The difference was not as drastic as I expected.

The filter sample is the newest one, the pan is the next older column, both are 177 miles.

Attachments

• M94757jpg.jpg
    M94757jpg.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 24
Back