Will a bad O2 sensor throw a code?

Will a bad oxygen sensor always throw a code? Vehicle is a 91 Chevrolet K1500. 4.3 liter V6. It has only one sensor that is upstream of the catalytic converter.

It should show P0130, IIRC GM trucks this year still had the old bead/pellet cat that clogged badly and caused engine performance issues.
I just looked it up, if you still have the original cat (doubtful) replace it with a modern universal.

But those bad ol’ bead beds were gone by 1981 and GM went to monolithic converters like everyone else, right? Actually, no. While they did begin phasing in monolithic converters in the early-mid 1980s, GM kept putting pellet-bed type converters in trucks and vans clear on up through the mid-1990s

Single wire oxygen sensors - I wouldnt trust its integrity without a scope. Let alone waiting for the MIL to come on.

For your OBD1 single wire setup....for most conditions NO they won't throw a code. This is where you have to review the live data to see how the 02 is performing and make your own diagnosis. OBD2 96+ of course have much stronger self diagnostics and will set codes more but even then reviewing live data is your best bet in seeing how it is performing.

I'm going to proactively replace my elantra's 02 sensor, as mileage seems to have dropped a bit.

Rock auto has 2 sensors from bosch

Bosch 17270 as an upstream

Bosch 17319 as a downstream or upstream with calif emissions.

My car is not calif emissions, but what would be the difference in them? I would think most of the calif emissions difference would be in the ECM programming.

The 02 sensor just gives data to the ecm, what would be different?

@Trav, @The Critic what do you think ?

Last edited:
I'm going to proactively replace my elantra's 02 sensor, as mileage seems to have dropped a bit.

Rock auto has 2 sensors from bosch

Bosch 17270 as an upstream

Bosch 17319 as a downstream or upstream with calif emissions.

My car is not calif emissions, but what would be the difference in them? I would think most of the calif emissions difference would be in the ECM programming.

The 02 sensor just gives data to the ecm, what would be different?

@Trav, @The Critic what do you think ?
Bosch 02 sensors seem to die quicker than the denso or ngk ones.

Even on modern cars I've had lazy 02 sensors cause crazy issues and throw lean codes and fuel trim codes and cause surging idle (wideband 02 on an old civic) without an 02 sensor code.

That chevy truck should take the Bosch universal sensor that's $20. Just splice one wire with the included supplies and you're golden. I did this on a Saturn and got rid of its "lazy" code.

Install a Heated 3 Wire O2, GM part# 19178959 & wire in the power & ground for the heater....Worthwhile upgrade so the ECM doesn't drop in & out of closed loop.

QtQccTt.png

Reactions: wtd
On the old one wire O2 sensors, I usually change them out every 30,000 miles or so. I was taught that years ago because O2 sensor performance degrades over time. Also, back then, I had no equipment that could graph the performance of the sensor to see if it was switching like it should. I have never had any of my OBD 1 vehicles set an O2 sensor code.

I also always try to use the OEM sensors if available.

Back