wich of this two trucks would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang I missed this post initially. These were the 2 trucks I looked at when shopping. I got the Titan because it was such a better deal. IMO both are great trucks.

Until 07 the Titan was heavier duty but Toyota is going to out do all the half tons on paper at least with a 10,000 pound towing capacity with the I-Force 5.7 Liter V8.

Having researched the issue to no end (and the other posters are spot on): the had to upgrade the breaks (there was a recall) and the 06's do not suffer from this issue. There were also rear end failures specifically on the e-locked rear ends. The rattleing dashes have been rectified.

If your looking at 07's both trucks should be fairly equal on paper at least.

CBDfrontier06, They saw your sister comming and raped her pocket book. I would beat they service writer to a pulp!!! The Tundra has an externaly accessable belt. Their is simply a tin cover over it. I think it is a 90,000-100,000 mile service item. The belt should not cost much more then $30-$50 and the labor should be between $150-$200 at the most!!!

What engine does her Tacoma have in it?

Louie, The intake manifold ont he Tundra comes off real easy and quickly. I asked a Toyota tech. how longit takes to change the starter and he told me 15 minutes if you know what you are doing!

I personally would buy the Titan given those choices.

I have driven a Tundra a little, and a Titan a lot. Overall I prefer the Titan. Handling is nice, there is plenty of power from the 5.6L, and the Titan has more useful features (better storage, cool bed track system). Interior fit and finish on the Tundra might be a little better, but not by much. I think the Titan definately has the most bang for the buck between the two.

I would seriously consider some of the domestics too though, especially with the new Silverado about to come out.

John, ask you friend how often he has had to change a V8 starter. The guy I asked, said, never. Same with adjusting the mechanical lifters, never. This engine appears to be a very good engine. The Nissan V8 is just beginning its trial by pickup and it will be interesting to see how it holds up. It promises to be be a very good engine, too. I hope that Toyota 's new big V8 works out, like the small one.

You can get really big discounts on the Titan trucks and it's sister ship the Armada. Young kids are getting into these Titans, financed by Nissan with great deals. One of our employees got one as a first time buyer, after everyone else turned him down. He got it from the dealer with hugh tires, a lift kit and a killer sound system, for payments less than the F150 he originally wanted. He sure is a Titan fan, now.

I can't believe people bash the Ridgeline. It is the Truck of the Year everywhere such as Consumer Reports, Motor Trend and including Canadian publications. No truck has ever obtained the five star safety ratings by the government, and, unlike the others, it runs on regular fuel.

It is not meant to be used in oil fields or haul horse trailers. It is geared to the new, more urban, truck buyer (to such an extent that it is more appropriate to call it a "transporter" rather than a truck). It may not haul your cattle to market but it will haul your Ranger bass boat with no trouble - and therein lies the market target, not the rancher or construction worker who has a hundred trucks to choose from that are basically all the same, with little innovation to set them apart.

I have owned my Ridgeline since May 2005 and it has performed like a charm. It tracks the road like a sports car, has plenty of power and speed, is as comfortable as a sedan (for five people) and comes with every possible innovation and technology you could want. Sure, I have owned "American" trucks in the past and the RL is so far advanced from any of them that it is not even close. Plus, it is a Honda and their reputation for dependability and excellance is unquestioned.

I live in Texas and I know all about those redneck, pick'em up trucks - like I said, I've owned some of them in the past. If that is what you need than the Ridgeline is not for you. But if you are looking for the best combination of safety, performance and comfort in as versatile a transportation vehilcle that has ever come off the line, you will be hard pressed to find a better choice than the Ridgeline.

I know its not on you list but I've been working construction for over 25 years and beating the **** out of trucks (in the salt belt),the Chevy is hands down the best truck made followed by the Dodge.

quote:

Originally posted by pitts64:
I know its not on you list but I've been working construction for over 25 years and beating the **** out of trucks (in the salt belt),the Chevy is hands down the best truck made followed by the Dodge.

AMEN!

"I can't believe people bash the Ridgeline."

Even Honda acknowledges that it's not a 'real truck', designed to compete with the full size pickups. People can give the Ridgeline can get all the awards they want, be happy with it, just don't pretend that it's a full size truck.

"...or toyota tundra v8"

Looking at the Tundras more closely they should be called the Castrati, due to the axles that they have on them. Is the axle bigger than what one would find on Crown-Vic ? Obviously they've made a popular vehicle, one that is reliable and even durable for it's capacity, but in classic Toyota fashion the capacity appears to be pretty limited so that the rest of the vehicle has more design margin.

The Ridgeline appeals to a more delicate customer. There's nothing wrong with the Ridgeline, but if you need a work truck, you probably should buy something else. Look at how many real pickups end up in the hands of homeowners as a commuter vehicle. I know a guy that has a crew-cab dually diesel powered pickup and the biggest load he has ever carried is a load from Home Depot that the Ridgeline could have also handled. This is a guy you want to keep in touch with. When he gets tired of that truck, it will make a great buy for someone that needs it.

quote:

Originally posted by martyi:
I can't believe people bash the Ridgeline. It is the Truck of the Year everywhere such as Consumer Reports, Motor Trend and including Canadian publications. No truck has ever obtained the five star safety ratings by the government, and, unlike the others, it runs on regular fuel.

It is not meant to be used in oil fields or haul horse trailers. It is geared to the new, more urban, truck buyer (to such an extent that it is more appropriate to call it a "transporter" rather than a truck). It may not haul your cattle to market but it will haul your Ranger bass boat with no trouble - and therein lies the market target, not the rancher or construction worker who has a hundred trucks to choose from that are basically all the same, with little innovation to set them apart.

I have owned my Ridgeline since May 2005 and it has performed like a charm. It tracks the road like a sports car, has plenty of power and speed, is as comfortable as a sedan (for five people) and comes with every possible innovation and technology you could want. Sure, I have owned "American" trucks in the past and the RL is so far advanced from any of them that it is not even close. Plus, it is a Honda and their reputation for dependability and excellance is unquestioned.

I live in Texas and I know all about those redneck, pick'em up trucks - like I said, I've owned some of them in the past. If that is what you need than the Ridgeline is not for you. But if you are looking for the best combination of safety, performance and comfort in as versatile a transportation vehilcle that has ever come off the line, you will be hard pressed to find a better choice than the Ridgeline.

I think you answered your own statement in your own post. The Ridgeline is great for what it is, but if you're using it more as a truck than a car it's not a good choice. I bought my Tundra to tow a car on a trailer. Ridgeline can't do that...

Truck of the Year etc... usually goes to the newest or a major redesign on the market. I could care less what ** awards something wins, I'm more interested in how something holds up in the real world. Overall, Tundra's do pretty well for what they are and I suspect the Ridgeline will do the same.

BTW, my Tundra runs just fine on 87 and that's all the manual calls for. I use FP and with the truck maxed out payload wise and pulling the trailer on a hot summer day with the AC on, it still doesn't ping.

quote:

Originally posted by 1sttruck:
"...or toyota tundra v8"

Looking at the Tundras more closely they should be called the Castrati, due to the axles that they have on them. Is the axle bigger than what one would find on Crown-Vic ? Obviously they've made a popular vehicle, one that is reliable and even durable for it's capacity, but in classic Toyota fashion the capacity appears to be pretty limited so that the rest of the vehicle has more design margin.

Axles are definitely a limiting factor, I believe they're really the same ones from the Tacoma with taller gearing (3.909 vs 4.30:1) I hit the axles limits before I hit GVWR or GCVWR every time, but the truck seems to hold up without issues if you stay within the design limits. Especially now that they worked out the brake and tranny problems from the first few production years.

Boy this thread sure went off topic from Nissan titan v8 or Toyota tundra v8.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Hirev:
frown.gif

Thats because the Honda fanboy had to put his 2 cents in.
I think the toyota is a better deal,both are good maybe the OP should just buy the one that is the best deal?

quote:

Originally posted by hone eagle:

quote:

frown.gif

I think the toyota is a better deal,both are good maybe the OP should just buy the one that is the best deal?

He should by the truck he likes the best. If they don't like the one that is a better deal as much as the one that is more, they may end regretting/rethinking the situation.

I would rather pay slightly more for something that I liked. Now, if we're talking thousands, the "cheap" side in me is more easily swayed
grin.gif

tks for all the repplies!! the truck was acctually for my dad and as of 9-25-06 he is the owner of a 2006 tundra 4x2 with the 4.7 v8 engine.he went with this year end model couse they where offering a 6,000.00 off the sticker price.

Quote:

quote:

frown.gif

Hey, it was just a suggestion smarty pants.
dunno.gif
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back