wich of this two trucks would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 06 Tundra, My only complaint it the paint does not seem very durable. It gets road chips and scratches very easy. Other than that so far very happy with it. Seems like a well designed and built Truck.

I look at the 06 Nissan Titan when I was looking for a new truck it seemed like a good truck. But I was kind of turned off from it after reading Consumer Reports reliability reports on it.

If your thinking about buying the new redesigned 07 Tundra. I would have a hard time buying a 1st year major redesign of any vehicle at they they almost always have a few issues to get worked out.

quote:

Originally posted by hone eagle:

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Howdy:
How about the Honda Ridgeline?

sorry not a truck but a mini van with no top.(no frame ,no payload).

I concur. This vehicle is not a pick up truck. In fact it is as useless as **** on a bull moose.

Ridgeline = Useless if you use as a truck.

Titan has better specs, but is heavier and gearing is different. Unless you need the extra towing capacity, the 05+ Tundra with the 5spd auto and VVTi engine has plenty of nuts. I regularly pull 5,000 lbs. and the powertrain isn't the issue, I think the frame/suspension is. If you really need that extra capacity, IMO, neither truck is ideal.

Tundra looks boring (paint does suck) but is a dream to drive for a truck. I'm sure you can guess that was my preference when I was waying this decision a year ago.

BTW, Tundra does have a t-belt on a non-interference motor. It has a 100k change interval and shouldn't cost 1,000.

"nissan titan v8 or toyota tundra v8"

For what ? Driving around the suburbs, getting a load of bark dust once in awhile it doesn't matter, get what is most comfortable (?), or has / doesn't has what you like / don't like per reviews. If you're considering capacity the Nissan does better, but it seems to have wimpy axles don't plan on using it at capacity for extended periods.

The Toyota 2UZ-FE is an interference motor. If the belt fails your valves get zinged. I think the inverval is 105k miles.

And it's only $330 to have the belt replaced at the dealer anyway, so I don't see how it's a big deal.

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
The Toyota 2UZ-FE is an interference motor. If the belt fails your valves get zinged.

Are you sure, a Toyota tech told me otherwise. I wouldn't be too shocked if they were wrong
mad.gif

Your tech could be wrong, you know. They don't get in to the mechanics of the vehicle, they just change parts. Ask them if they have ever done a valve job, or if they know the difference between a crankshaft and a piston. It's possible that they would know, but don't bet on it. If they are well read or surf the Internet they may have seen a picture of the insides if an engine, but their diagnostic equipment is not a good source for mechanical knowledge. And even if they are a master tech they can tell you much about how the electronics work, just which piece should be swapped next, to see if it solves the problem. There are only so many little widgets on your car and if you have a credit card, and some time you can get your car fixed. Just remember, don't ask them questions about the mechanical workings inside you engine. They know the timing belt is hooked up to something because it spins, every time you start your engine. Oh, if he is an experienced Toyota mechanic, ask him where the starter is on a V8. Ask him to point to it. Please report back to us if he can.

I did a little digging on Tundra Solutions. The general consensus is that it's an interference motor.

+1 on that, utterly usless truck.

quote:

Originally posted by MC5W20:

quote:

Originally posted by hone eagle:

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Howdy:
How about the Honda Ridgeline?

sorry not a truck but a mini van with no top.(no frame ,no payload).

I concur. This vehicle is not a pick up truck. In fact it is as useless as **** on a bull moose.

Another interesting thing about the starter. The ignition key just tells the computer to start the engine. You don't have to hold the key in the start position until the engine catches, only move it there and let go. The computer takes care of how long the starter runs, not you.

And finding the starter is a good adventure. It's not on the outside of the engine, like most other engines. I'll bet there are a lot of Toyota V8 owners that can't find the starter.

My BIL had a Titan and he had considerable problems with front rotors and brake pads. Resolution was to have Nissan take it back under the lemon law. At the time, Nissan had no fix for the problem. The engine was outstanding, the interior was great, but the rotors and brakes were a big problem.

Being a Tundra('02 AC 4x4 v8 81k)I can only give you one side.Its been a very reliable truck.
Didn't look at anything else when I needed a new truck.Reliability was key.
Toyota has had front brake issues also.
But the newer years seem to have that solved.
If your going to pull or load it up the Toyota is lite weight.And the Nissan has a great bed set up that I wish I had in my Toyota.
The interior is better in the Nissan.
The Toyotas seats kill my *** and back.Too low.
That could just be me.
I would say hang out at some internet boards for both to get a handle on the good and bad points.
Test drive both.But with the upcoming Toyota's big plans pickins might be slim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back