Why would you get a scangauge....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm taking screencaps, emailing them to myself, and uploading with imgur. My focus also reports realtime Air-fuel ratio, so I added that one as well.

Here's a few from the focus.

WOT @ about 6000RPM

eOtmoLd.jpg

Idle
XIca0PB.jpg

REgular acceleration about 2900RPM
619efEn.jpg

Cruise at 55 on a flat road
2fsmiIx.jpg

Last edited:
The thing is you essentially paid $600 for the smartphone likely.

That being said many things in the future will get replaced with tablets, smartphones and iPod etc. You already see it with the cash register built on iPad Mini and Lowes using I think iPod or iPhone as the device they carry about for ordering, calling, and looking up etc.

Why have a SG2?

Because I don't have a smart phone. I'm one of the 23 people under 50 who still uses a flip phone.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Scangauge is $200+, this cost me $30 and does everything right on my phone.
$200 plus?!?! where are you shopping at? I've always seen them for $159.00

Originally Posted By: Hollow
Why have a SG2?

Because I don't have a smart phone. I'm one of the 23 people under 50 who still uses a flip phone.

I also run an orange can....

OP/NickR:
Good find for others. thanks for spreading the knowledge

Last edited:
The thing is its wireless and can go from car to car in seconds a scan gauge is obsolete anymore.I paid 10 bucks for the adapter and 5 for the app 15.00 total.

I use that for my Hyundais. They have a plug in that can get many Hyundai proprietary PIDs. I use it mainly to monitor oil temp.

I'm taking screencaps, emailing them to myself, and uploading with imgur. My focus also reports realtime Air-fuel ratio, so I added that one as well.

WOT @ about 6000RPM

eOtmoLd.jpg

Just curious, the WOT shows 9.5psi of boost, but I seem to recall the Focus SE isn't turbocharged?

Ultragauge, $75,

The dis[lay can be set up to show either 4, 6, or 8 readings.

This is an ODBII device, so a '96 or higher car is needed.

Only thing it does not show is oil pressure,
because there is no sensor present in most cars,
just an on/off pressure switch connected to the light on the dash.

2wgfbir.jpg

Last edited:
I put an oil temperature sensor in my bypass filter block and the gage in my dash, also have an oil pressure gage and I us a scan gage too.

2009 ford Edge

Originally Posted By: chrome

WOT @ about 6000RPM

eOtmoLd.jpg

Just curious, the WOT shows 9.5psi of boost, but I seem to recall the Focus SE isn't turbocharged?

It's not. Near as I can tell, the Manifold pressure is calculated through the MAF/RPMs within the app itself, since I don't believe these cars have an actual MAP sensor, since it has MAF. It indicates "boost" under load, even though there isn't an actual turbo. Someone else I was showing this to had already commented on that. Honestly I'm surprised noone has commented on the fuel rail pressure of 2100PSI lol.

I've got an Ultra Gauge too for my other car.
smile.gif

On my gen Coupe 2L turbo the boost gauge shows vacuum until it goes to boost.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You've already found a video about OBD2 adapter. You can find one about taking screen shots, too.
smile.gif

I watched the video. Thanks Pete.

I've got an SG2, Bought it when i bought the Neon. that car had no digital "info center", no MPG readout, no External Temp read out, etc.
I Normally had the 4 gauges set to
intake air temp______Avg mpg/Total Fuel Cost (ie: taxi meter)
Speed/Water temp in winter____"instant" MPG(3sec update rate)

moved it over to the Sable, b/c the Factory Speedo doesn't have enough gradients for my tastes, esp at night, only markings @ 10mph visible, only numbered every 20.
so it currently has this setup:
Speed__________Avg MPG (Doesn't Sync up with in dash avg)
Water Temp____Instant MPG

interestingly, the SG2, Speedo, and my Tom Tom can't agree on a speed. if i set the cruise @ 70 by the SG2, the speedo says 71-72, and the gps says 69.

the Neon's speedo was about 3mph faster then the SG2 when i bought it, but the SG2 normally matched the gps
when i replaced the tires with the factory size, it generally matched up across the board.

Factory size 185/60-15, vs the 195/55-15's My Brother had on the car.

Last edited:
I'm taking screencaps, emailing them to myself, and uploading with imgur.

Brilliant idea. I would've never thought of that.

SG2 was $50. Bought it when smart phones plans were an extra $80 a month, plus $4-600 for the phone. It's self contained, and I don't have to worry about a battery. I don't have to worry about a mount, or finding a cheap adapter that actually works, and loaning it to friends over the weekend to diagnose CELs for family cars, or unmounting it to take a call or send a text. And because I want one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm taking screencaps, emailing them to myself, and uploading with imgur.

Brilliant idea. I would've never thought of that.

But why when you can upload them directly from the phone?

Seems like an unnecessary step.

Well, I bought my scan gauge before there were iPhones or Android phones. I use Torque now, but I gotta admit if you're going for a permanent mount then something that draws power from the OBD2 port rather than a cig lighter port is a bit cleaner.

I like my SGII. I've had it since well before smartphones could do what they now do. And, I want a small device that is permanently mounted.

My Cruze displays either instant or average fuel economy. Leave the car's display on instant, set the SGII to display average as one of the four it can, and let it do its thing. A helpful tool that's saved me quite a bit of fuel over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back