Why Oil Changes Should... Make your Rear PUCKER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just browsing some information today on parts etc. and I see that a new engine complete for my 2013 Camry 4Cyl is around $12,300 pls 21 hours of labor.

My car has a composite plastic Oil Filter Cap and an O-Ring. That's beside the point (except for the O-Ring positioning attention)

Fellas, take it slow and take care. And stay away from the Quicky Lubes. My rear puckers just driving past one.

$12,300 for an engine sounds like you pieced out every single part at retail price at the dealer including all the accessories for the engine and added sales tax and the labor to install the engine.

Yes we know quick lube shops aren't great. That's why we're all here at BITOG.

Agreed!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
$12,300 for an engine sounds like you pieced out every single part at retail price at the dealer including all the accessories for the engine and added sales tax and the labor to install the engine.

Yes we know quick lube shops aren't great. That's why we're all here at BITOG.

Nope, but it is almost half. If they're selling Camrys new for $13k by you, let me know! Lol.
wink.gif

Let's put it this way . An oil filter ring -gasket-seal-torque is worth about $6,000-$10,000 on most new cars. Pricey little things hey.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
So the price of engine replacement is nearly the cost of a new Camry?

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Just browsing some information today on parts etc. and I see that a new engine complete for my 2013 Camry 4Cyl is around $12,300 plus 21 hours of labor.

I read some years ago an article about cost of parts, it said that the total cost of individual parts at dealer price of a family sedan is about 4-5 times new car price, this cost doesn't include hundreds hours labor to put everything together.

A tricked out 22RE engine from 22RE Performance costs $3500 plus about 6-8 hours of my labor to install it in my truck. $12K is kinda high.

Being in the engine business that price is not even close to reality we rebuild them for under $3,000 complete with warranty and installation.

That may be full retail on a brand new engine installed at a rip off stealer that works very slowly and charges a lot for storage.

Retail cost of every new part for the Camry would likely approach $100K, so I'm not surprised by the $12,000 price for a new engine.

Part #190000V032 retails for over $12,000.New engine.Toyota gets over $2500 for the bare block and almost $1K for the head. Smiling Jan on the commercials never mentions that....

It's always been that way.

Had a case half a decade ago where I was pricing steam turbine components...a full set of blades, versus an entire new bladed rotor...$10M for the assembly, $12M for the parts, then fitting required.

Buy the blades themselves, and each row has to be scheduled. But the assembly, give the manufacturer control of the schedule and float, and your row 2 fits into the tooling for another row 2 assembly...he owns the float on the entire assembly, rather than damages on one of a thousand disparate parts.

Then postage and handling, transport.

And the example that I used when explaining to management back in the day...it's always more expensive to build a Camry from parts than buy one complete.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Just browsing some information today on parts etc. and I see that a new engine complete for my 2013 Camry 4Cyl is around $12,300 pls 21 hours of labor.

My car has a composite plastic Oil Filter Cap and an O-Ring. That's beside the point (except for the O-Ring positioning attention)

Fellas, take it slow and take care. And stay away from the Quicky Lubes. My rear puckers just driving past one.

Thats why cars have low oil lights

Usually the oil light is a friendly "5 seconds before catastrophic destruction" warning. If that. Now a proper oil gauge (the sort w/o filtering) would go a long ways. Something that actually monitor oil level though... would cost what, $5 for an OEM to install?

OP is right about replacement engine costs.

I just looked up the cost of a new engine for my wife's 2011 BMW 328i.

$12,922.08 and that's the lowest price I could find on the internet. That is for a short block so it doesn't even include the head which would no doubt cost another $6K or $7K. Installation labor would be another $4k so it all adds up to about $20K!

Scott

I have changed my own oil since I was 16 years old. If you can't correctly change your oil well enough to not worry about it all the time you need fat crayons and lincoln logs.

Not only are engines expensive, but the labor costs to remove/install one are getting more expensive because of all the stuff that the shop has to remove before pulling the engine.

A friend of mine blew the head gaskets on his Chevy Duramax from running too much tuning. A few local shops wouldn't even work on it because it is so hard to get in there. A guy quoted him $5,000 just to do the head gaskets, which I thought was insane. He ended up buying the parts and doing it himself, which was still a major job. I've never seen so many wires in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back