Why-o-why are we still stuck on 256GB SSD's

I just bought a M1 apple mini off apple refurb store and back in 2009 these were shipping with 160GB 5400 segates, and for a lot extra you could upgrade to 320GB which some were toshiba and some were seagates..

Aside from this M1 being amazing for me being kind of an apple hater, I wonder why OEM;s are still stuck on 256GB SSDs. Every phone today takes very high MP digital photos, and is capable of at least excellent 1080p videos / not to mention 4K videos. 256GB is totally worthless without an added scratch disk.

Why?

I run an ancient sammy 850evo 512GB since 2014 and then run an 8TB NAS. I found it afforable back then. Has to be pennies now.

I was really annoyed a few years ago when I received a new laptop at work with a 256 gb ssd a drive while my old one had a traditional type with 512 gb. We store all of our files on a server or dropbox.com but I liked having all my dropbox or box.com folders sync to my hard drive for working offline when traveling. I immediately maxed out the 256gb. So I know how you feel.

I do use google photos for all my pictures and videos though and keep all of that “in the cloud”.

cant you just swap it out? 1tb for 100$?

oh wait because... apple.

Maybe some sort of dock that has a spot for SSD?

Last edited:
I guess the point to ascertain here is if you don't like throwing money in a hole to get a reasonable amount of storage buy something not made by Apple or Microsoft and isn't some impractically thin form factor that they have to solder the storage to the board.

How much temporary or interim storage space do you need? An SSD is good for running the OS and programs but not reliable enough for long-term data storage.
Uh, what? SSDs are very reliable. Any name brand SSD out there will outlast the computers useful life in most typical end user usage scenarios. Sure, there are exceptions, and anything can fail any time, but a mechanical HDD is far more likely to fail than an SSD overall. Plus, even if your statement was true (and it absolutely isn't true), the increase in performance and productivity would be a worthy tradeoff.

I've worked with computers since I was in middle school, worked full-time repairing and refurbishing all makes and models of laptops and desktops for 7 years, and now do IT consulting/computer repair work of my own. Also managed a small datacenter from top to bottom for about a year before they sold the building to a high school. I've used everything from dirt cheap consumer grade stuff to high end enterprise drives. Over the course of all this, if we exclude some really cheap and nasty generic SSDs off Amazon that died within a couple months,or the early SSDs from OCZ that dropped like flies for a few years, I can count on one hand the number of SSDs I've replaced. While I've replaced hundreds of mechanical hard drives, of all ages. Some last a week some last 60,000 hours. You never know.

Especially in a laptop that gets moved around when on or handled roughly while powered off, you're at far higher failure risk with an HDD vs an SSD.

When I left my laptop on the hood of my car many years ago and drove off in the night and found it 5 hours later having been run over by all sorts of cars and semis in that time, well, neither my primary SSD or secondary HDD survived. But, that's what backups are for. No matter what kind of computer, drive, etc. you have, a good multi-tier backup strategy is the only way to keep your data secure.

Replacing your hard drive with a solid state drive and/or buying an SSD-powered computer is the #1 best thing ever. Every time I have to use a clients computer that still uses spinning rust I am reminded of this. Every time a client complains their computer is slow, the first thing I do is see what the storage medium is. Well, usually it's a mechanical hard drive that's at 100% disk I/O just because Windows Update is running and the computer is literally unusable for an hour, and they get frustrated and turn it off before it can finish so it's always doing its thing in the background... Swapping it out for an SSD for $100 or less in most cases, is the answer. Sure one can spend hours trying to tweak Windows or the background services or do all sorts of weird hacks or upgrade the RAM or whatever but at the end of the day the days of mechanical hard drives as boot drives are over. Even if you store a bunch of stuff on your machine locally, a 2TB SSD is only about $200. It's rare anyone would need more space than that, but if you do, there are many options... external hard drives, secondary hard drives if it's a workstation class laptop or a desktop PC, a NAS, cloud storage, etc.

Really moving forward the only use case for spinners is going to be NAS/server environments... most stuff in small business or home networking is still connected via Gigabit ethernet so SSDs are pointless there. Although with Multi-Gig or 10Gb networking becoming more and more popular we'll see a shift here too.

I'm just so happy that finally SSDs are standard in most systems, even cheap ones. Saw an i3, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Asus laptop with 1080P/full HD screen, backlit keyboard, for $249 at Staples last week. Sure, that isn't a ton of space, but it's still going to be faster in day-to-day usage than the laptops that were the norm before even if it was a "better" system with an i7, 16GB of RAM, and, ick, a 1TB 5400RPM HDD.

I was really annoyed a few years ago when I received a new laptop at work with a 256 gb ssd a drive while my old one had a traditional type with 512 gb. We store all of our files on a server or dropbox.com but I liked having all my dropbox or box.com folders sync to my hard drive for working offline when traveling. I immediately maxed out the 256gb. So I know how you feel.

I do use google photos for all my pictures and videos though and keep all of that “in the cloud”.
I would kill for 256 GB built in, the tiny netbook PC my company bought only has 30 GB, can barely hold the operating system, worthless without internet.

Was that 10 years ago?

Probably not a netbook, where the era ended around 2014. But possibly a Chromebook. I got one recently as a backup for $99 plus tax at Target. The limited things it does perform remarkable well considering the price. It boots fast and the video quality is fine. I was using it to stream 1080p video to a TV. It's only got 32 GB, but that's plenty for the operating system and web pages.

I just bought a M1 apple mini off apple refurb store and back in 2009 these were shipping with 160GB 5400 segates, and for a lot extra you could upgrade to 320GB which some were toshiba and some were seagates..

Aside from this M1 being amazing for me being kind of an apple hater, I wonder why OEM;s are still stuck on 256GB SSDs. Every phone today takes very high MP digital photos, and is capable of at least excellent 1080p videos / not to mention 4K videos. 256GB is totally worthless without an added scratch disk.

Why?

It's still a cost, and it may depend on the specific design. Some save on costs by directly mounting the flash and controller on the main board rather than in a separate board/box.

I've got a PC in the house that met its demise due to food entering the case, but I looked inside and the 256 GB SSD is removable. I previously had a work PC that included a 256 GB SSD as the primary (probably M.2, but I never opened it up) and with a 1 GB hard drive as the secondary. However, for my work, I can easily imagine 256 GB being enough. Granted I mostly use it for accessing a remote server and I don't really need to store a lot of media files.

My most recent work computer is one of the newer MacBook Pros, and I ended up with the base model with 512 GB. I doubt I'll ever get close to maxing it out since I don't use it like my personal Mac. I've got tons of media files as well as my device backups on my personal Mac. I've maintained it for 7 years, in part because I could install my own SATA SSD with an adequate size for my needs.

It's even more shameful and ridiculous that Apple is still shipping computers with a woefully inadequate 8gb RAM.

If I had it to do over again with my M1, I'd have found a way to get 16gb of RAM iand lived with 256gb storage rather than upping the storage and sticking with base RAM as I did.

BTW, I pay extra for a lot of both iCloud and Dropbox space and use smart management which keeps recent and regularly accessed files locally. I also regularly back up to a 2tb spinner external. The extra benefit with both is seamless file sharing across multiple computers. If I'm working on something on the couch then realize I really should take it to my desktop, I just hit save and it's there.

It's even more shameful and ridiculous that Apple is still shipping computers with a woefully inadequate 8gb RAM.

If I had it to do over again with my M1, I'd have found a way to get 16gb of RAM iand lived with 256gb storage rather than upping the storage and sticking with base RAM as I did.

BTW, I pay extra for a lot of both iCloud and Dropbox space and use smart management which keeps recent and regularly accessed files locally. I also regularly back up to a 2tb spinner external. The extra benefit with both is seamless file sharing across multiple computers. If I'm working on something on the couch then realize I really should take it to my desktop, I just hit save and it's there.

I'm not too happy about a lot of things that look like they want to prevent DIY work or where they charge an ungodly incremental amount for more RAM or SSD capacity that is built in to the logic board.

At least in the past one was able to start off with the base model and upgrade. I put off updates on my mid-2012 MBP until the factory drive was corrupted - with a 7200 RPM drive and then an SSD. By then the price was ridiculously low. And I only recently got the memory maxed out for $40 (and ironic since it's even cheaper a couple of months later).

I'm not too happy about a lot of things that look like they want to prevent DIY work or where they charge an ungodly incremental amount for more RAM or SSD capacity that is built in to the logic board.

At least in the past one was able to start off with the base model and upgrade. I put off updates on my mid-2012 MBP until the factory drive was corrupted - with a 7200 RPM drive and then an SSD. By then the price was ridiculously low. And I only recently got the memory maxed out for $40 (and ironic since it's even cheaper a couple of months later).

My "desktop" is actually my 2012 15" MBP that I bought in 2014.

The person I'd bought it from upgraded it to 16gb RAM, which was more expensive then than now. Apple never even offered 16gb as an option in that system-it shipped with 4gb and you could spend $200 to upgrade it to 8gb(I bought my 2011 MBP new, and I paid around $80 at the time to upgrade it to 8gb myself).

Probably in 2016 or so, I put an 1tb SSD in that computer. It's an EVO 850, so it would be whenever that model was current.

Then a few years later-I think in 2018-I bought an Optibay and a 2tb spinner. I put the spinner in the factory hard drive bay(since it has a sudden motion sensor) the moved the SSD to the Optibay(which in the 2012s is the same bus speed) and it's still in that configuration. I miss having that much storage onboard.

By the way, even though my M1 is in nearly every measurable way faster, my old 2012 can still do some tasks better because real physical RAM is still faster than swapping to the disk.

I also have a 2011 Mini set up now running 10.6.8 to run a film scanner. I bought this computer specifically for the task, although I'm about to say forget it and just make one of my spare Mac Pro 5,1s fit. It's a bit buggy as the 2011 Mini doesn't officially run 10.6.8, but can be hacked to run-I've just found it unacceptably buggy(especially since I'm use to 10.6.8 being a benchmark for stability). In any case, though, I have the quad core "server" Mini and 16gb RAM, and it does a really good job of handling what I'm asking it to do.

My "desktop" is actually my 2012 15" MBP that I bought in 2014.

The person I'd bought it from upgraded it to 16gb RAM, which was more expensive then than now. Apple never even offered 16gb as an option in that system-it shipped with 4gb and you could spend $200 to upgrade it to 8gb(I bought my 2011 MBP new, and I paid around $80 at the time to upgrade it to 8gb myself).

Probably in 2016 or so, I put an 1tb SSD in that computer. It's an EVO 850, so it would be whenever that model was current.

Then a few years later-I think in 2018-I bought an Optibay and a 2tb spinner. I put the spinner in the factory hard drive bay(since it has a sudden motion sensor) the moved the SSD to the Optibay(which in the 2012s is the same bus speed) and it's still in that configuration. I miss having that much storage onboard.

By the way, even though my M1 is in nearly every measurable way faster, my old 2012 can still do some tasks better because real physical RAM is still faster than swapping to the disk.

I also have a 2011 Mini set up now running 10.6.8 to run a film scanner. I bought this computer specifically for the task, although I'm about to say forget it and just make one of my spare Mac Pro 5,1s fit. It's a bit buggy as the 2011 Mini doesn't officially run 10.6.8, but can be hacked to run-I've just found it unacceptably buggy(especially since I'm use to 10.6.8 being a benchmark for stability). In any case, though, I have the quad core "server" Mini and 16gb RAM, and it does a really good job of handling what I'm asking it to do.

I still like having an optical drive around, even after I got an LG external DVD writer. I've seen the procedure to change it and I really don't think it would suit my needs or be something I'd be comfortable doing myself.

I was getting tired of the poor performance with Sierra and High Sierra, even with a 750 GB WD Black 7200 RPM SSD. They seemed to be geared towards SSDs. Boot time could be around 2 minutes, and if I needed to select an alternate application to open a file, it could take up to a minute of hovering over for the choices, and if I moved it I'd have to start all over again. Sometimes I would refuse to shut down with the spinning beach ball of death. Often it would stall. But then I saw a 512 GB SanDisk Ultra 3D (that size was strangely exclusive to Best Buy) for $130 back in early 2018, and it was easy since I'd already installed a drive. All the interminable delays went away. The next year I saw a WD Blue 3D 1 TB for even less and it seemed like a good idea, then as a project I moved the SanDisk SSD to my 2007 MacBook. And now those are under $100 for 1 TB, but I think I'm good. I just need to offload my bulk files to another drive. I have a bunch of enclosures, 2.5" bare drives, and external drives, but I need a 2 TB external hard drive for my main backup and I'll repurpose the old backups. I am hoping maybe I can find some old hard drives - maybe at thrift stores.

Memory wasn't a huge problem, but I bought some off brand (Silicon Power) memory over a month ago and it seems to help with little things.

And I ended up with a 14" M1 Pro MBP for work. Certainly nice, but I don't need a lot of storage for my work. It was really all about the performance. But the base model still has a 512 GB and 16 GB of RAM. I guess I could have asked for a custom order with more RAM, but Apple's lead times were about 2 months, and this one could be ordered with a 5 day availability window at (ahem) Best Buy. Only they informed me it wasn't delivered to the store and I'd be updated. We were almost ready to get something like a 13" MBP that could be picked up immediately, but then I got a message that it was ready.

So the answer to why we are still shipping computers with 256GB SSD today? Because you can and people will still buy it to save $50 over a 512GB model. HDD used to have a minimum cost of about $40 regardless of how limited capacity is, whether it was 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB, you just cannot make it cheaper than $40 because it is a mechanical device, and need at least 1 platter with 1 head, 1 motor, 1 PCB, 1 aluminum frame, 1 actuator, 2 rare earth magnet, etc. An SSD can be shrink down to 1 nand chip and 1 controller, 1 PCB, no ram. If you want more they can add 1 more nand chip to it, then another 2, then maybe another 8, then maybe some ram to make it faster.

I'm using a 256GB laptop from work and I'm fine with it. I'm sure there are people who want more and will pay more, but my workplace think otherwise. I can always put media on an external SSD or HDD anyways.

SSD vs HDD reliability really depends. You want to power on your SSD at least once a year, preferably once a month, kept in temperature below 40C, otherwise you will start facing data retention issue. If you keep it on once in a while the system will have time in the background to do read refresh to keep the data voltage "fresh" or close to spec. HDD usually do not have this issue, or at least is designed to hold its data for 5 years, as long as you don't drop it.

Things can be defective in either of them due to manufacturing defect or design problem, but the design goal and limitation I mentioned is real.

Back