Why no 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't car manufacturers recommend 10w30 today especially with all the turbo models sold now I would think it would hold up better under hard use?

newer engines with tighter tolerances and fuel economy also easy flow at cold temp starts. I am pretty sure Chevy and Ford turbocharged cars use 5w30

5w30 are being made as good or better than a 10w30. A lot of times, the HTHS are about the same.

While not new, my mother-in-law's 2010 Dodge Journey V6 calls for 10w-30. The dealer just put in PYB 10w-30 and she lives near Superior, WI!

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Why don't car manufacturers recommend 10w30 today especially with all the turbo models sold now I would think it would hold up better under hard use?

You're probably correct. My most recent UOA was a 10w-30; it was my best ever and was used through this past winter.

Hyundai/Kia will allow use of 10w-30 in many of their engines.

Going to QSUD 10w-30 as a summer oil in the 1.6 GDI Soul due to fuel dilution.

1. CAFE, 5w30 gives slightly better lab numbers for fuel economy during the warmup phase.

2. 5w-30 is good for pretty much anywhere in the US as far as cold starting is concerned.

My .02

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mx5miata
newer engines with tighter tolerances and fuel economy also easy flow at cold temp starts. I am pretty sure Chevy and Ford turbocharged cars use 5w30

Your statement about tolerances is wrong. This has been parroted on the internet for ages and it is wrong. Engines can operate on a broad range of grades. The engine that calls for 0w-20 in America is often run with 5w-30 or 10w-40 in Europe.

Originally Posted By: ka9mnx
While not new, my mother-in-law's 2010 Dodge Journey V6 calls for 10w-30. The dealer just put in PYB 10w-30 and she lives near Superior, WI!

Son’s 2007 300 (Pentastar) is the last thing we bought calling for 10w30 … his 2013 Pentastar is a 5w20 engine …

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Originally Posted By: mx5miata

Your statement about tolerances is wrong. This has been parroted on the internet for ages and it is wrong. Engines can operate on a broad range of grades. The engine that calls for 0w-20 in America is often run with 5w-30 or 10w-40 in Europe.

true. Clearances have not changed since the 40's.

Originally Posted By: Okapi77
Hyundai/Kia will allow use of 10w-30 in many of their engines.

Going to QSUD 10w-30 as a summer oil in the 1.6 GDI Soul due to fuel dilution.

Mine is one of them. Will use Chevron Supreme 10w-30 this Thursday when I change oil in the Elantra. It is MPI and needs nothing special. In Autralia 10w-30 is the recommended weight. USA 5w-20. Heat index is 100 today so flow should not be a problem.

glad the tolerance issue was clarified. I take it my Scion was intended for economy, I'll stick with the 0w20 and get my 38-41mpg.

My Toyota Corolla gets 38 to 40 on the Hi-way with no sweat on 5w-30 or 10w-30 in the summers. But then its just broke in at 121K miles. 34 to 36 in town.

CAFE
Gas mileage laws must be met by auto manufacturers. Thinner oil aids in better gas mileage.

The only reason is the marginal increase in economy with a 5W, and marketing by the oil companies.

You're correct; 10W will hold up better in an engine that's hard on oil, such as my 2016 WRX (turbo, GDI, boxer, high power density). Which is why I run PPPP 10W-30 year-round, when it calls for a 5W.

10Ws will also have much lower NOACK. PPPP is the best you'll find outside of an expensive boutique oil, at 4.7%. Matter of fact, I actually don't know of a boutique oil with better NOACK values. Maybe some kind of straight-grade might beat it.

Lively NOACK discussion going on Here currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back