Why Moly in marine gear oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always used blue Mercruiser high performance gear oil for my alpha2 sterndrive. There are lots of discussions on the forums arguing why or why not use the required Merc/Quicksilver lubes. Most often it's argued that those are full synthetic lubes with high additives levels. I never bought the synthetic claim based on the evidence how easily they sludged and my review of MSDS clearly stating petroleum oils.

However, just recently, I found those lubes are indeed special by finding VOA posted by our own Bobistheoilguy back in 2003: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...6798#Post706798

They contain Mo additive in addition to P and Ca. Not sure if B was tested. I don't see Mo in typical gear oils.

Here is the question: what is the function of Mo in marine gear oils and why typical car gear oils don't use it?

Thanks!

Moly is used in quite a few gear lubes, Schaeffer's being one company that has used them for quite a while. The moly is used to reduce friction as the coefficient of friction of moly is very low and it is oil soluble depending on the type of moly used.

I knew about Schaeffer's. I was curious why most gear oils don't use moly. Is it because EP requirements of GL-5 can be easily satisfied just with cheap Phosphorus and Sulfur? Or is it because they contain Boron now?

Yes, the GL-5 requirements can be satisfied with phosporus and sulfur and that is how most companies do it. Boron is just another friction modifier such as moly, just not as good IMO.

I think B is EP agent and not just friction modifier. Not sure about the Mo vs B superiority. All I know is B almost replaced Mo in engine oils by now.

It is available in automotive gear oils, which is why I mentioned Schaeffer's. Most companies probably don't use it because of value, as the perceived benefit versus cost doesn't pencil out.

Moly Universal Gear Lube uses the Soluble Moly in order to resist oxidation and thermal stress which is operating at temperatures 105°F to 145°F higher than conventional gear lubricants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back