Why isn't Polyethylene Glycol standard?

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
Originally Posted by RamFan
Originally Posted by nascarnation
As a guy who designed cooling systems 40 yrs ago, I'd say losing 36 degrees F on the boil point is a really big issue.

Is is though? Considering you could up the ratio to 55/45 or 60/40 and boost that number. Heck, the FL22 that comes in my CX-5 is already 55/45.
60:40 is pretty darn close to the eutectic point of propylene glycol:water.

Well you just taught me a new word, eutectic. Would you say that 60/40 would be the most "utilitarian" ratio for a propylene mixture?

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
Originally Posted by nascarnation
As a guy who designed cooling systems 40 yrs ago, I'd say losing 36 degrees F on the boil point is a really big issue.

Is is though? Considering you could up the ratio to 55/45 or 60/40 and boost that number. Heck, the FL22 that comes in my CX-5 is already 55/45.
60:40 is pretty darn close to the eutectic point of propylene glycol:water.

Well you just taught me a new word, eutectic. Would you say that 60/40 would be the most "utilitarian" ratio for a propylene mixture?

From a heat transfer perspective, running the least coolant possible is best. I run around 1/3 ethylene glycol coolant and 2/3 distilled water. This protects me down to around 0 degrees Farenheit, which is way colder than it ever gets here in Tennessee, especially since I park in my garage overnight.

Back