Why is the disc thickness so critical??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch out on some rotors,they are directional.The Ford Aerostar vans,Chevy Corvettes and Most Mercedes Benz rotors are directional going on one side only.Rotors off a Mercedes Benz are heavy,I have picked up a couple of them.Another thing to check on rotors are the fins rusted out badly,if the fins are rusted out: Pitch them and get new rotors.

I have never seen a service roughness spec. I doubt they are anything special. The service manuals say "machining not recommended". Rotors still thick enough to continue use are pretty rough.

I have seen one S10 Blazer with the rotor eaten up by the caliper piston on the rear brakes.The caliper piston was being used as the brake pad.Ended up replacing the left rear caliper with a loaded caliper,rotor and brakes pads on both sides on the rear.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
It's amazing how many people just keep driveing after the rotor starts to fall apart.

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af258/Bluestrean/rotor.jpg

I had this problem before...

IMG_1977.jpg

Then this happened,

IMG_1965.jpg

This was with a rental 2001 Neon...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Big Jim
The Mercedes practice is not unique. Many if not all European auto makers do the same thing, Volvo and BMW included. It seems to be part of the design intent. The rotors are a bit soft to enhance braking bite. It is intended for the rotors to wear instead of warp (sort of machining on the car). The pads are also very abrasive to enhance braking bite and with the intention of wearing the rotors. They allow the replacement of pads alone (no machining or no rotor replacement) if there is still enough rotor thickness remaining.

I don't like the concept, but it is what it is.

It is the design, but the design is influenced by the law. EU safety requirements, unlike the NHTSA standards, state that the brakes must be able to stop the car from a certain speed even with the brake booster disabled. That requires more aggressive pads that are seen on American and Asian cars. That is also why you see a lot of brake dust on the wheels of Volvos, Mercedes, and BMW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back