Why is my car wandering???

Hey all, Im going to try and keep this short. Vehicle in question is my mothers 2011 Ford Taurus Limited. About 3 months/3000 miles ago, myself and my father replaced the following suspension components-
Lower Control Arms - Mevotech
Sway Bar Links - Moog
Front Struts - KYB
Tie Rod Ends - O'reillys house brand

We also replaced the tires over this past summer with Uniroyal Tigerpaw A/S in size 255/45/19. Here is my issue - since replacing everything listed, the issue of the car "wandering" has only gotten worse. Under light acceleration, the car will sway to the right and then back center. Under heavy acceleration, or even heavy shifts, the car wanders almost like it has a mind of its own until the gas is let off, then it straightens out and drives fairly normally. Its sometimes to the point that it feels like its going to pull off the road, especially on the interstate. So far, we have had it aligned 3 separate times with reports to show that everything is within spec, replaced the 2 front tires to rule out a tire issue (this did help a little, but not much), change out the axle nut to ensure it was tight, and check tightness on everything minus control arms. Ive about had it with this thing, I don't feel safe with my mother driving it and its just making me mad in general. Where do I go next? Thanks!!!

If you have been going to the same alignment shop, try another. There may be something wrong with their equipment or configuration.

There may be something wrong with the rear suspension causing the instability.

Check the motor/transmission mounts as they may be shot.

Strut bearings up top may be loose/flexing.

Keep this in mind - Everything new is as suspect as everything old.

If you have been going to the same alignment shop, try another. There may be something wrong with their equipment or configuration.

There may be something wrong with the rear suspension causing the instability.

Check the motor/transmission mounts as they may be shot.

Strut bearings up top may be loose/flexing.

Keep this in mind - Everything new is as suspect as everything old.
Should've mentioned, alignment shop was changed for the 3rd alignment to someone I know and trust who also let us hang out and watch him do the alignment, so no worries there.

Should've mentioned, alignment shop was changed for the 3rd alignment to someone I know and trust who also let us hang out and watch him do the alignment, so no worries there.
That's good...

Keep in mind alignments are in the static condition, with the vehicle sitting with all the slop compressed. Your instability occurs on acceleration, as weight is transferred off of the front wheels and onto the rear, and any sloop, looseness, change in alignment, etc. coming into play.

So, you need to look at everything involved to see what is changing during that transition.

Hey all, Im going to try and keep this short. Vehicle in question is my mothers 2011 Ford Taurus Limited. About 3 months/3000 miles ago, myself and my father replaced the following suspension components-
Lower Control Arms - Mevotech
Sway Bar Links - Moog
Front Struts - KYB
Tie Rod Ends - O'reillys house brand

We also replaced the tires over this past summer with Uniroyal Tigerpaw A/S in size 255/45/19. Here is my issue - since replacing everything listed, the issue of the car "wandering" has only gotten worse. Under light acceleration, the car will sway to the right and then back center. Under heavy acceleration, or even heavy shifts, the car wanders almost like it has a mind of its own until the gas is let off, then it straightens out and drives fairly normally. Its sometimes to the point that it feels like its going to pull off the road, especially on the interstate. So far, we have had it aligned 3 separate times with reports to show that everything is within spec, replaced the 2 front tires to rule out a tire issue (this did help a little, but not much), change out the axle nut to ensure it was tight, and check tightness on everything minus control arms. Ive about had it with this thing, I don't feel safe with my mother driving it and its just making me mad in general. Where do I go next? Thanks!!!
Were these quick struts? Do you have a print out of the alignment?

classic toe-out on the front tires. some like it.....for drifting. I assume Mom is a drifter if she puts up with it for three months.. I kid.
can happen when you swap out the old rounded out or split bushings in the frontend.
Check the toe. You desire slight toe-in for the car to have the hands-off lane holding character of a typical grocery getter.

Stability at steady-state conditions, but pulling consistently to one side under acceleration, sounds like torque steer.

Are caster and/or camber, though within spec, at the edges of their acceptable limits, with the cumulative amount producing a pull to the right?

classic toe-out on the front tires. some like it.....for drifting. I assume Mom is a drifter if she puts up with it for three months.. I kid.
can happen when you swap out the old rounded out or split bushings in the frontend.
Check the toe. You desire slight toe-in for the car to have the hands-off lane holding character of a typical grocery getter.
Seems like multiple issues. Do the vehicle shakes under heavy acceleration or engine braking?

I'd check the rear axle bushings as well, and depending on vibration on acceleration, I'd check any play in the CV joints

I’ve never seen a Taurus with tires that big. I was going to say alignment issue but clearly it’s not that. I have seen tires come out of balance and pull but if it’s not making a noise the tires aren’t out of balance and you already addressed that too so I’m not sure what else.

I’ve never seen a Taurus with tires that big. I was going to say alignment issue but clearly it’s not that. I have seen tires come out of balance and pull but if it’s not making a noise the tires aren’t out of balance and you already addressed that too so I’m not sure what else.
I thought the sho ran 255’s however the sho has specific chassis components such as a different L arm...

Limited trim was a 255 from the factory, at least thats what was on the car when we bought it, and thats the size that Discount Tire said was specified

I would take a good long hard look at those Mevotech control arms in the front. My experience with them (In a Honda/Acura setup) is the bushing material they use is far too soft. While the suspension setups are not the same, looking at the design of that arm, there is a large bushing that is going to affect the dynamic toe of the car when you're on the gas or the brakes. In my case, the car would align perfectly, but under driving conditions, the car would wander and I ended up destroying the front tires in short order. I ended up keeping the arms but replaced my large compliance bushings with OEM parts and it worked fine. When I compared the two bushings side by side, I could move the Mevotech one by hand whereas I couldn't budge the OEM one. Add 4000 lbs of car to that and you've got a bushing that just isn't going to do the job.

Some pictures and a comparison. In short, I don't use Mevotech for anything that has rubber bushings in it anymore. I'll use their swaybar links, but that's about it.

I just noticed that you can replace just that part. I would try and source some OEM bushings and try that. I'd almost be willing to bet money you'll see an improvement.

I would take a good long hard look at those Mevotech control arms in the front. My experience with them (In a Honda/Acura setup) is the bushing material they use is far too soft. While the suspension setups are not the same, looking at the design of that arm, there is a large bushing that is going to affect the dynamic toe of the car when you're on the gas or the brakes. In my case, the car would align perfectly, but under driving conditions, the car would wander and I ended up destroying the front tires in short order. I ended up keeping the arms, but replaced my large compliance bushings with OEM parts and it worked fine. When I compared the two bushings side by side, I could move the Mevotech one by hand whereas I couldn't budge the OEM one. Add 4000 lbs of car to that and you've got a bushing that just isn't going to do the job.
Good to know sir, thank you! Next time I have a second to put it in the air i'll take a look

Good to know sir, thank you! Next time I have a second to put it in the air i'll take a look
If you can grab that arm with your hands and make it move in that bushing, they're too soft. You really shouldn't be able to budge it with human power. If you can, just think what several thousand pounds of car will do to it.

Back