Why does haze on hood come back

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have the hazy hood syndrome on my vehicle. When I wash it the haze is still there until I wax it. Then it's looking as good as new until a couple of days later and the haze is back!

What gives? I've used the Turtle wax and Meguilars cleaner for haze but even then the results only last a couple of days.

It doesn't make sense since obviously it can look like it should but doesn't.

Any ideas as to why would be greatly appreciated because this is very frustrating to say the least.

oxidised layer of paint or clearcoat.

The only way is to strip it with more harsh/aggressive polishing compound (be very careful when using it). Or try Turdle wax colour-back.

then wax it with UV-protecting wax or similar.

Q.

If the paint and/or clearcoat is heavily oxidized you need to get it repainted. Without seeing a photo it's hard to say.

It's pewter and yeah it's heavily oxidized.

Thanks for the info guys, I guess I'll have to swallow a painting of the hood. Any idea how much that might run me? It doesn't need any additional work on it, just painting.

i had this problem years ago on a mitsubishi truck. the cause was heat from the engine. there was no insulation cover attached to the hood.

You've either got complete clear coat failure, or simply oxidation. What does the hood feel like when you run your hand over it? Smooth? gritty? If it's smooth, I'd say strip the wax, clay bar, polish it up really well, and then add wax. If it's gritty, I would lean towards saying you have no clear coat left.

My guess is that the hood has been repainted and does not have the hard factory coat that other parts of the vehicle have. May not even have a clear coat on it. Or, the clear coat could have been worn off by frequent abrasive polishing.

Last edited:
A good paintjob on the hood (which means color matching and blending into the fenders and/or bumper) will probably run $400 depending on the vehicle.

If it is not clearcoat failure a good compound or polish will remove the oxidation. I would try this route first before paying hundreds to repaint. Several here have recommended some cleaner waxes/sealants that might remove the oxidation but a true polish or compound will remove oxidation. Ultimate Compound is readily available and is a medium polish that finishes down well leaving a very nice shine. Do you have a DA polisher?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back