Why do these engine use lower temp thermostats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geesh....ya'll need to get educated before you start dogging a company. The reason why you think the 3.0 is under power is probably because it was on a 20 foot plus size boat. On the common single axel trailer, 18 foot boat, the 3.0 can easily hit 45 to 50 with a 24 pitch prop and proper planning. The 3.0 easily gets better gas mileage than any other engine. You got to remember, that engine is always under constant stress, unlike a car engine. WOT for that engine is 4800 rpm, much lower than it's auto brethren, around 5.5 to 6K. Boats are a PITA because of the maintenance it requires. Face it, your on water for heaven's sake. Salt water is corrosive for almost any kind of metal. You have to maintain the boat. You'd be surprized how much business we got from people just being ignorant of that fact. I suppose those folks were also of the never change oil variety also. But nonetheless, they helped me get through college and I appreciated that! You guys got to realize that there are thousands of Mercruisers out there that have never had a problem. You only hear about the ones that are troublesome. Alias, just as in the car business. Any boat longer than 18 feet should have at least the 4.3 V6 or higher size engine. A lot of people want the celebrated economy of the I4, but don't realize how much power it takes to get it to perform and a noticeable level.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Boats are a PITA because of the maintenance it requires. Face it, your on water for heaven's sake. Salt water is corrosive for almost any kind of metal. You have to maintain the boat.

Yeah. But I'd rather have the entire power train sitting much drier aboard the craft, and not have half of it (with two sets of bevel gears in a three section casting) all soaking in the water 24/7. Not to mention the trim cylinders and lines and the ever-fragile bellows all sitting overboard and constantly exposed. The sea water just eats 'em up.

It works OK if you keep up with it, but the agg factor is considerably lower with straight inboards.

Besides, there's maintenance work aplenty with any boat, so why go asking for more of it.

I like the 4.3s. Especially this season.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Boats are a PITA because of the maintenance it requires. Face it, your on water for heaven's sake. Salt water is corrosive for almost any kind of metal. You have to maintain the boat.

Yeah. But I'd rather have the entire power train sitting much drier aboard the craft, and not have half of it (with two sets of bevel gears in a three section casting) all soaking in the water 24/7. Not to mention the trim cylinders and lines and the ever-fragile bellows all sitting overboard and constantly exposed. The sea water just eats 'em up.

It works OK if you keep up with it, but the agg factor is considerably lower with straight inboards.

Besides, there's maintenance work aplenty with any boat, so why go asking for more of it.

I like the 4.3s. Especially this season.
The worst thing you can do to a boat is put it in the water.

On the common single axel trailer, 18 foot boat, the 3.0 can easily hit 45 to 50 with a 24 pitch prop and proper planning.

Sorry, but I have to call B S on this. The Mercruiser 3.0 of today is rated at 135hp, probably less in yester-year. I have a 1974 16' Glastron Carlson with a 150hp Mercury inline 6 outboard. In it's day it was a top of the line speed boat. It STRUGGLES to hit 49mph (GPS verified) with a 19p prop. I could go a tad faster with a 21p, but I would have terrible hole shot.

135 or less HP in a 20+ foot boat doing 50mph? Not gonna happen.

Don't even get me started on the Thunderbolt ignition. What a worthless peice of [censored]. Terrible design, even for 1974.

I want some of whatever you're smoking.

You think an outboard is a lot different in design? Last time I checked, the whole arshe end is sitting in the water. Sure, you can tilt them up out of the water as opposed to an actual outdrive, but are just as reliable when properly maintained.

Read what I wrote...an 18 footer with a 3.0, not a 20 foot plus, that's a lot of extra weight. Thunderbolt ignitions have had their problems, but if you want me to go back in time and review those sorry arshe Evinrudes or Johnsons, I'll be more than happy to. They were constantly in the shop. The whole ignition "package" had to be replaced in order to fix them and even that was no guarantee that it won't happen again. Thunderbolt is a generic name given to many Mercruiser ignition systems over the years. Pre CDI, as with any engine in the water, there were problems with caps/rotors rusting out if not maintained frequently. Mercruiser has about 80% of the market for gasoline fired boat engines. The Thunderbolt series IV and V have been the mainstay for this past decade and have been exceptional. Also, I am refering to the 3.0LX, not the standard 3.0.

Read what I wrote...an 18 footer with a 3.0, not a 20 foot plus, that's a lot of extra weight.

Sorry, that was a typo. 18 foot boat + Mercruiser 3.0 is not gonna hit 50mph, no way, no how. My 16' boat with MORE HP and a hull designed for speed can barely hit 50.

Bud, I'm here to tell you it's possible. I've had mine up to that, GPS verified. Granted, I have some "tricks" in my arsenal that I learned from Mercruiser school and it takes longer than 30 seconds, but with a 24 pitch, composite, 4 blade prop, one person in the boat, only a couple of gallons of gas at WOT topped out a bit, it's possible.

My last boat went 97mph in the quarter mile.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve S
My last boat went 97mph in the quarter mile.
wink.gif

Geez, you must have had at least two or three 3.0s in that thing.
LOL.gif

Anyway, back to the original question - I have to agree with the "they do it that way because they always have" answer. Just like how they still sell carbureted inboards. Or like how Briggs and Stratton still recommends 30w oil for their engines.

My guess would be they originally started using colder thermostats in the 70s to help with detonation problems when gas started to turn into urine. Actually, my 6 cyl. outboard doesn't even have a t-stat.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
"Actually, my 6 cyl. outboard doesn't even have a t-stat. "

It did when it left the factory.

A 1974 Mercury 1500 150hp? Nope. No thermostats, right from the factory.

Wow. Back in summer camp ..we had a 120 4 cylinder ..and it could pull 5 skiers (two skis) and pull 3 on one ski (getting up on two). I think it as a 16' ..maybe 16'6". Sat only 4. Not that it could do most of that fast.

You guys live the good life. Congrats!

Neat discusssion. I have a 4.3 lit V6 in an 18ft boat. That enging in a car might go over 3k rpm a few times per hour and then only for a few seconds at a time. In the boat if I need to run down the lake 5 - 10 miles (large lake) I might crank it up and hold 3500 - 4k rpm in order to hold 40 -45+ MPH for 10 - 15 minutes straight. Pretty grueling when you think about it.
Maybe the cooler running engine temp is just one way they try to compensate. I have a large cartridge type fuel filter, the the air filter is a metal deal with large openings - might stop leaves, sticks and rocks, and keep squirrels out of the carburetor, but dust must get right through. I dunno why they don't drop a similar auto style air filter in. Maybe they need much more flow??? that would be intutive. klr

A backfire thru the carb could set a paper or oiled foam element on fire, which would prevent such a filter from ever being approved by the USCG for installation by a manufacturer.

klr- I have that same engine. Pretty strong runner for a V6. Mine will do about 54-55 mph (GPS) in my 19 ft bowrider, which is more than fast enough with the family on board...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 1 FMF

i don't agree that boats don't have air filters or fuel filters as a cause for wear. Hardly ever is piston ring/bore wear caused by dirty air, there is no dirt/dust on the water in 99.5% of the places boat's operate.

Ok..having been out on a boat in the Potomac River quite a few times I have to wonder...if there is no dirt/dust on the water in 99.5% of the places boats operate, then what is the [censored] that gets in my eyes when I'm in the middle of the Potomac? Is the Potomac in that .5% category or am I just imagining that I have bits of dust/dirt in my eyes causing them to hurt? My buddy too because he gets [censored] in his eyes too whenever we're out on the water.

There IS a lot of dust/ dirt on the water somehow...my PWC, a Honda Aquatrax, has a paper air filter that was black in places by 50 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back