Why do places offer junk parts?

A lot of people don't know any better. They also aren't that observant. That tie rod they put the cheapest possible on their car? Yeah it's wearing the tires funny, instead of 40k miles on a set of tires, it's 20k. Then they just keep buying new tires. They accept it.

I had told my aunt who is an incredibly intelligent person, very gifted in the world of IT, that I took my Jeep last week to my mechanic. She asked why. I sent her the picture below and said I tried replacing my upper control arms but just gave up, was too difficult for me, so I ended up putting it (mostly) back together and sent it to the mechanic. She laughed and said she has no idea what upper control arms are or what she's looking at. And she actually kind of likes cars! Just doesn't know them mechanically. If someone put in the cheapest parts on her car, she wouldn't know. Just the Average American in that department.

The average person also doesn't know how crazily priced car parts are in the store compared to, say, Rock Auto.

82DF382C-7198-4125-9CE1-55C78A2F3539.jpeg

And, when one buys a junk part for its low price, they often buy other items that end up being high profit items for the big autopart chain stores. That junk low price part generates profits in other products that support that junk low cost part.

So far from my dealings from even Rock Auto I see the “ Original GM” part often being twice as expensive as some of the lower line parts, even in the AC Delco range. I suppose the realization should be that the extra few hundred dollars for a complete left and right set should be worth it if it lasts 100,000 miles like the original, but human nature steps in. After all these similar discussions I’m almost ready to throw in the towel and buy OE, but then I’m agreeing to “ buy the OE part no matter what it costs”. That’s hard to take.

Last edited:
It’s not even really cheaper. You can almost always find auto part store junk somewhere else for less. And if you have to replace the part 3 times to find one that isn’t dead on arrival, it sometimes ends up cheaper just to go OEM to begin with.

Well, it might be cheaper for the parts stores to buy the low quality junk and resell it at big profits, but I can buy 2 Raybestos Element rotors on Rock Auto for the same price as one Duralast rotor from Autozone.

When I used to take my old car for brake jobs before I learned how to do it myself they would use Duralast parts from the AZ across the street and I’d be lucky to get a year out of them. Lucky they had a “lifetime” warranty but I still had to pay labor. The Raybestos are going on 3 winters now on my 2011 Soul and are still in good shape.

Around here at least, it’s the independent shops who keep parts stores open and not the shade tree DIY’er.

I’m guessing any poor sap who goes in wanting new shocks is going to get the cheapest thing whoever has at a marked up price.

Most people don't know - and don't do the research.

Most mechanics don't care - and are happy when the car comes back - more opportunity to sell other stuff, and blame the original failure on the owner.

Most stuff you buy in any store these days -whether its the part store or department store - is junk.

Around here at least, it’s the independent shops who keep parts stores open and not the shade tree DIY’er.

I’m guessing any poor sap who goes in wanting new shogoing to get the cheapest thing whoever has at a marked up price.
I’ve see this at one shop. The owner made the call to the local part store and didn’t ask anything about the brand or the line within the brand that was available for the application. I’m thinking the parts store knew to just offer up the cheapest piece of junk they stocked. Then the shop marked it up by 30%.

Most people don't repair their own cars. They take them in. Wherever they take them, they are at the total mercy of that place, as to where they purchase their parts from. Parts are all part of the profit margin of ANY auto repair joint, or car dealership. They ALL receive a considerable markup. Not to mention they get them cheaper than most individual shadetree mechanics can get them for, because of the sheer volume of parts they buy.

So the fact is most people are overcharged for what amounts to crappy parts in that regard. The place doesn't care, because their work is only guaranteed for a short time. And they know the parts they're putting in will last at least that long. And the crappier the parts they install, the bigger the profit margin. So they don't care. Either way the customer takes it in the shorts.

Not everyone reads the internet. (Maybe)

There are always going to be budget customers who just wanted it fixed. Didn’t say how long.

Might be all they can afford.
Once I went to the three stooges with my uncle (called that), he needed brake pads because his brother was at his house willing to do the job. So he was presented with pads that ranged from $30 to $80. He asked me which ones I would get--I said the Akebono ProActs, $80, but they are only $42 online. So he said I haven't got the time to wait, and he made a quick decision taking a set that cost $50. Convenience I would say. I mean why does an 02 sensor cost $52 online for OEM, when the dealer gets $188 for OE? It's the meddle men. I got a OE cupholder for $114 plus tax shipped FedEx from Japan, when the same part is $295 list and $195 on eBay for OE. All markup in the distribution. My part is genuine OE in a sealed Lexus box, with the OE stickers, same part, and it took only 8 days from my mouse click to my front door.....

Back