Why do people hate plastidip so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason I can find is that people think that because you don't have to pay a lot to cover a whole car, that means whoever did it is a piece of trash that can't afford vinyl or something.

Done right, you can make it look almost any way you want, glossy, matte, satin, pearlescent, solid color, easy multi-tone. It protects your actual paint as much as the $500 clear bra sprays do. You can change it in a weekend for less than $1000 if you change your mind later. What's to hate about it? I'd say anyone who says it "looks cheap" should worry about their own stuff and not hate on other people for it.

I don't think I'd ever do it to my whole car, just out of laziness and cheapness, but I would rather pay $500 for a few coats of plastidip than $5000 for a quality repaint (which couldn't be removed).

So why do so many people hate it?

A clear bra is not something I want to see on my car. I also don't want any coating on my car that can be peeled off by anyone. You can go ahead and coat your car in milk chocolate for all I care. I might have a taste.

I don't hate it at all but I don't necessarily like it either. If I went to the extent of repainting a car I'd expect it to last the life of the vehicle and not be able to be peeled off by anyone out of spite or even as a joke! I don't think it holds up very well in time either, I know a few people that have done their wheels, hoods, door mirrors etc. and after a while it looks scabby, patchy and crusty, especially when stone chips get to it!

I don't know why your using the word hate for. People have different taste on cars, colors, books, sports, movies, food, furniture, clothes, fishing lures...... .
Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion.

Maybe it's one of those things that looks good in a magazine but looks trashy running around town.

Back when I was a kid the thing to do was to drive an 84 Monte carlo all bondoed out in primer with the trim missing because you did all the hard work, and are just gonna paint it "someday". Plasti-dip might have the same "meh" enthusiasm.

I would respect someone who uses it as winter protection. More than the subaru drivers who use MacDonalds trays for mudflaps because "Look at me I might rally race once".

I somewhat like Plastidip. I Plastidipped my wheels black last year, and after a few months it held up pretty darn good and peeled off nice.

behq4n.jpg

People would rage at my red m3 rims and granite silver e36, so I went black until I can justify a set of proper BBS rims when the current tires expire...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back