Why do oils lose spec approvals?

Current Ferrari recommended oil for their V8 cars is Pennziol Platinum Racing 5w-40. My independant Ferrari service provider gets it in a 55 gal barrel. I have only seen it sold online here: https://www.evolubesupply.com/platinum-racing-5-40-0-25-gal-950-ml-bottle-550051259/
When I have needed to top up, I have just used the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40...I still have a few bottles with the horsey on them. :)

My Ferrari tech recently posted on a Ferrari forum that the possible reason Ferrari spec'd a "racing" oil for NA is this:

"But if the oil does not meet the required specifications it will void the warranty and if Ferrari specifically call out oils as not approved then best to check the specifications. Many of the governments, US and EU are banning some of the additives in the oil for street cars due to either emissions or the affects they have on catalytic converters. "Racing" oil do not fall under that category so there may be an additive that Ferrari wants to remain in the oil. I notice the API move from SN to SP in the Euro platinum but generally going up an API grade has always been acceptable."

4C3A87A6-77D7-42E1-B20F-9B8A146E855A.png

Last edited:
Back