Why coated rebar is still a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
The host is a bit annoying but there is some good information in this video that speaks to the problem of coated rebar.

Last summer I had to buy some rebar and saw both the plain steel rebar and the green epoxy coated rebar. I opted for the plain ones since I wasn't familiar with the epoxy coated ones.

One tip - Rebar is a lot cheaper at a steel supply place than it is at Home Depot. If you need a lot of rebar, go to a steel supplier. I got mine at North York Iron in Toronto.

Speaking of supply places when we went to install our 21x14 deck we needed a lot of lumber and I knew that a small savings per piece could add up so I decided to shop around. I was astounded at the price I got at a local supply house for the lumber versus Home Depot, Lowes, Rona in my area. We ended up saving almost 20% pre-tax which here is 13% sales tax.
crazy2.gif

I used regular rebar for my project. I will be dead and buried long before the rebar poses me, the next owner, or the owner after that a problem with this house.

The video is a bit misleading in stating in the title that epoxy coated rebar is being banned. It is not being banned. Being more selective in its uses yes, but still a very commonly used product. That being said, in some applications we've switched to using stainless rebar. More expensive but much more durable in salt exposed concrete.

For the epoxy coated stuff, its all in how the product is handled and treated prior to and during installation. Not uncommon for any building material.

OT: I studied to be a Structural Engineer and practiced for 5 years even enough to qualify for Professional Engineer stamp.

The part I hated, how the codes barely changed and new concepts were so slowly adopted when I pulled out 1910 calculations and found the same thing being done.

Off to the Technology world I went.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I used regular rebar for my project. I will be dead and buried long before the rebar poses me, the next owner, or the owner after that a problem with this house.

I've used the uncoated rebar for antenna tower bases, because I want the connecting rebar to have a low resistance connection for a Ufer ground

Regular rebar will work for nearly every application.

Salt intrusion, and carbonation are either location specific issues, or design issues.

Did I claim otherwise?

The video clearly talks about it having issues with chlorides, which I might add are used heavily in a lot of US states and Canada so the problem is an issue for a good portion of the population on this continent driving over bridges that depend on such rebar to be intact and at the moment both epoxy coated and regular rebar is a problem where chlorides need to be used to ensure road safety in the winter.

21.gif

Last edited:
The bridge shown at 0:25 in the first video is a very common sight in a lot of northern and Midwestern inner cities. Most all of which flood their roads and overpasses with salt every Winter. It's only a matter of time, (most of which has run out), before they are going to have to rebuild a lot of this. Or else they are going to become unsafe to use. (Several of which already are). It's going to cost in the hundreds of billions, if not trillions of dollars, to do it on the nationwide basis which it is required in this countries Rust Belt.

Naturally, none of these cities or municipalities have any money put aside to accomplish it. Which means all of it will entail more borrowing and spending they cannot afford. This in spite of current property taxes that are already so high in several of these areas, it is forcing many people to move out. And few if any of these cities have the financial credit any longer, to be able to secure that kind of financing. Many like Chicago have had their bond ratings reduced to all but junk bond status, because they are so over leveraged as it is.

Talk about poor financial management. In the 50's this country had the money, along with the financial ability to not only purchase all the land necessary for the right of ways, but to also to design and build this nations Interstate Highway System. One of the biggest civil engineering projects ever undertaken. Today we don't even have the money to properly maintain it. Sad.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Did I claim otherwise?

Did I claim that you claimed otherwise ???
21.gif

I was making a general post in a thread.

However, the clown in the video DID use a strawman with regard to stainless rebar that there wasn't enough to replace all the rebar with stainless...to which...

The vast majority of reinforced concrete, an alkaline cementitious matrix does more than just fine with regular old rebar...the VAST majority.

In specific locations/applications, it's inadequate..

Carbonation is a common issue, and it's poor design and construction (lack of cover), or poor concrete...design it right, and plain old rebar works just fine.

Stainless carries with it the potential for stress corrosion cracking in chloride environments (can be initiated with a chloride containing paint marker), or the creation of corrosion cells by simply bumping It against a piece of regular steel (the marks need to be passivated with stuff like hydrofluoric acid to prevent future corrosion...just like chipped epoxy.

The vast majority of your perceived attacks from me initiate in your head.

It's the way your post came off was like it's not a problem because it works fine in nearly every application so it must be a design issue which isn't the case.

Originally Posted by Shannow

Salt intrusion, and carbonation are either location specific issues, or design issues.

It's the way your post came off was like it's not a problem because it works fine in nearly every application so it must be a design issue which isn't the case.

Originally Posted by Shannow

Hands up everyone who has either
* formally designed a concrete structure
* project managed a project with
* been responsible for monitoring the aging of concrete structures.

OK, with that out of the way...regular rebar is fine in ALMOST every application around the globe.

DESIGN...that take into account specific locales and specific local issues...such as salt.

You rail that lubrication failures are design specific failures...but take the opposite ground here...where EVERY design is location and application specific ???

I give up with you... I'm going to put you on ignore.

cheers3.gif

Weak. Shannow is one of the coolest guys here.

There is quite a few that think otherwise. I got PM's to prove it. But we'll leave that discussion for PM only.
wink.gif

I think this thread is done unless anyone else has anything to add to the Rebar discussion.

Last edited:
There is quite a few that think otherwise. I got PM's to prove it. But we'll leave that discussion for PM only.
wink.gif

I think this thread is done unless anyone else has anything to add to the Rebar discussion.

Did you read anything he posted? His posts sounded pretty sensible to me. We don't have a failing rebar problem around here. Regular old rebar works fine in at least certain areas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back