Whole Lot of Clanking Going On 1998 LS400?

Not sure how he missed that. Quite obvious how loose they are.
As soon as my Lexus friend pulled the valve cover, he said, "Sumofabeech."

He checked the other side and they were loose as well.

Wow, that’s a big mistake to throw that thing together like that and leave those cam phaser bolts lose! We all make mistakes but that’s kind of a big deal...wonder if the phone rang when he was about to tighten them or something? Or maybe he went to lunch and totally forgot where he left off.

Both sides.
He said he had taken everything apart and redid 2 times. ????

It's possible the mechanic isn't that familiar with the older 1UZ engines (which are not very common) and he might of been rushing to get it buttoned up.

I spoke with my local mechanic and he admitted he had a helper. He said his phone rang off the hook that day and he probably got distracted.
Well, that explains part of everything but it doesn't explain how he could have redone the job and it still be like that. My suspicion
is his helper did it and told him he had redone it and my mechanic didn't check behind him. Still wrong but that makes sense.

Oh, and the timing is off one tooth per my Lexus mechanic. Based on red light and codes and such. Runs great though. Should get it fixed
this Saturday.

His helper was his Dad.

It's possible the mechanic isn't that familiar with the older 1UZ engines (which are not very common) and he might of been rushing to get it buttoned up.
Except when he told me he went back over everything 2 times. Now, that may mean he just looked at it. IDK

He did have his Dad helping him...

Back