Whole house gen OC

My Generac is showing a message to change oil/filter. It's been in there for 2 years exactly. I don't know how many hours are on the oil but it looks like new. It excercises for 20 min every week. It may have run for a few hours during power failure. It's Castrol 0-40 and a Fram TG filter. Should I change it due to age or just let it go? Runs on porpane.

anything not run long enough to get the oil really HOT will cause moisture buildup + of course it takes longer in colder weather!! dont be a cheapskate!!!

I do it every spring. It's only like 2 quarts for my 20KW Kohler.
2 year old sump but running on a schedule I wouldn't be worried but id do it.
Oil stays gold on propane and nat gas a long time. Ive never changed a dark sump on a gaseous fueled engine.

I concur with both

1. Yes, change it

2. Change the run schedule for 2 weeks instead of weekly, and then run twice as long. It needs to warm up. Or even 3 weeks. That should still be frequent enough to make sure it’s good.

My 10-year-old 8kW Generac hooked up to utility gas runs for 12 minutes once a week. The only setting I have is when to run the test. Yes, I wish I could set it to run longer.

I've gone to changing only the oil every 2 years, as it tends to have little time on the clock, but there's not much oil. It takes only about 1.5qt and it's often full of moisture especially in the winter. Maybe next year I'll change the filter. Same with the spark plug - why change it when it looks new.

I change mine yearly in the spring. Winter is hard on the oil because of condensation
. I use Amsoil 5-30 small engine because it is specifically for use with natural gas/propane fuels.

My 10 yr. old 10k propane Generac that runs maintenance runs 10 min. every week gets its oil changes via the 2 yr. system reminder.
Only full synth. M1 0-30w in it since new.
On its first plug change I put Iridium's in.

My Generac is showing a message to change oil/filter. It's been in there for 2 years exactly. I don't know how many hours are on the oil but it looks like new. It excercises for 20 min every week. It may have run for a few hours during power failure. It's Castrol 0-40 and a Fram TG filter. Should I change it due to age or just let it go? Runs on porpane.
How old is the unit? Newer units from what I understand can only run a 5 mins exercise cycle. 20 mins is nice. Also what is the Fram part number?

Yearly sounds like a good plan with the oil and filter you’re using.

How old is the unit? Newer units from what I understand can only run a 5 mins exercise cycle. 20 mins is nice. Also what is the Fram part number?

Yearly sounds like a good plan with the oil and filter you’re using.
It's about 10 yrs old. It takes a Fram 3614. I use the TG. I'm going to go ahead and change it.

I concur with both

1. Yes, change it

2. Change the run schedule for 2 weeks instead of weekly, and then run twice as long. It needs to warm up. Or even 3 weeks. That should still be frequent enough to make sure it’s good.
My Generac generator you can’t change run time or frequenc.

Back